POY and all CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

POY and all CAA

Post by Cards »

Thought I'd get the conversation going.

Don't think there is any real doubt who will be POY - Green

How about 1st team all CAA - I go with Green, Gustys, Curry, Prewitt, and Walker.
Jojogunne

Re: POY and all CAA

Post by Jojogunne »

Don't forget COY ... I think JAM's a lock for that.

We should also have one or two players on the All-Academic Team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cards wrote:Thought I'd get the conversation going.

Don't think there is any real doubt who will be POY - Green

How about 1st team all CAA - I go with Green, Gustys, Curry, Prewitt, and Walker.
I'd love to see Andre on the All-CAA Team. : )
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Green will be POY, JAM has said several times after the past few games that it's now a one-man race for the award, and in the CAA teleconference other coaches have alluded to him winning it as well.
Coach of the year will probably be between JAM, Keatts, and Grant, but my biased opinion thinks JAM should get it.
1st team is hard, there are a lot of deserving players in the conference this year; Green, Gustys, Walker, Ford, Prewitt, Tarpey, Curry, Flemmings. Green is probably the only true lock.
Green should also be in the conversation for the Haggerty Award.
Cards

Post by Cards »

If Rok is not first team it will be a travesty.
He is 7th in scoring - the highest scoring average for a big man in the CAA
He is 1st in rebounding by 6 rebounds per game (15.1 vs second at 9.1)! That kind of statistical difference is absolutely unheard of!!! Its like being the scoring leader by a margin of 10 pts per game - its sick!
Fld Goal % is 1st by a lot .....69% vs second at 53%.

The guy was a dominating factor in almost every CAA game. Teams had to try and change their entire defensive approach to try to contain him.....and in most cases to no avail.

I would argue that only Green and Gustys are the locks for 1st team.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Don't forget COY ... I think JAM's a lock for that.
Not so sure about that. As much as I'd like to see JAM get it, makes far more sense for it to go to Kevin Keatts. They finish with a share of the title, yet JAM has the POY (which Green is a lock for) and had a team that was supposed to finish first among the same voters. Keatts had a team that was supposed to finish 6th among those same voters.

Gustys should also be a lock for the first team. But he might slip to the second team if there's a southern bias with the voting.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

From a college basketball writer/analyst on twitter:
Michael DeCourcy @tsnmike
Not often mid-majors get national COY votes. It's too bad. Joe Mihalich work at #Hofstra been ASTONISHING. Just clinched CAA title. #Pride
https://twitter.com/tsnmike/status/703767689555156992

But as I said, I think it'll be between JAM, Keatts, and Earl Grant. I've been very impressed with how competitive CofC is under Grant despite how young they are due to so many injuries. Hofstra met expectations that were set when it was expected we'd have a deeper bench than we did. Living up to the preseason expectations of being #1 is very impressive considering how good the conference is this year, and the fact that we were without Djambo for the entire season and without Nichols for most of the conference slate. We may not have been preseason favorites had it been known we would be without those players.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Gustys is left off the first team because he's a sophomore. There are a lot of deserving upperclassmen. He should be a lock though, his numbers are legitimately insane, especially for only being a sophomore.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Green should be POY - he doesn't necessarily dominate in 1 particular area, he is just the best all-around player in this league, on the top team, and he makes his team and teammates better - his major impact to a game, any game, every game, is undeniable - he just does everything well.

I agree that what JM has done at HU has been truly tremendous in just his 3rd season - that is a COY performance in terms of his time here - however, in terms of this season in the CAA, the expectations from the start across the board have been to be the top team and win it all, so I'm not sure meeting those expectations, although impressive considering the loss of MN and no-show of Djambo, is enough - Keats has def done a super job, doing more with less, and has now claimed a share of back to back regular season titles - it's impressive for sure - if it went to him, it wouldn't be underserved - to me, it's JM or him

Rokas is not just the best big man in this league, he is DOMINANT, and it's not even close. I understand he's just a Soph, and that to me makes it even more impactful - it would be unfortunate if that's the reason he's 2nd team, but his numbers are incredible - name 1 other upper classman big man who deserves it over him? The only one even remotely in the category is Ford, and I could see that happening, but in reality RG just beat him head to head.

He's a 1st team performer IMO, but 2nd team at the LEAST. Anything else is grounds for a court case! lol
Wags

Post by Wags »

Juan'ya picks up yet another POW award, en route to his POY one he'll get this week:
https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 4909444096
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congratulations to Juan'ya, no doubt he is POY...As for JAM if you look at where this program was three years ago, he deserves COY HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Congratulations to Juan'ya, no doubt he is POY...As for JAM if you look at where this program was three years ago, he deserves COY HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!
The award isn't Coach of the Past Three Years though. If they gave that out, then yes, JAM hands down. You could maybe even give him a national COY award if that were criteria.

But for COY, this season alone, I'd have to go with the coach of the team picked 6th, without the POY over the coach of the team picked 1st, with the POY, when they both shared the conference title AND both played two games against each other that were very close, in which they each won the same way against the other.
Wags

Post by Wags »

OT but sort of related and perhaps of some interest here...

Stony Brook took these awards in the AE today:

- COY (Pikiell)
- POY (Warner; his 3rd)
- DPOY (Warney)
- 2 First-Teamers (Warney & Purefoy)
- 1 Second Teamer (McGrew)

Albany, which could once again be a thorn in SBU's side next week, also had two First-Teamers and speaking of a thorn in SBU's side, one Third-Teamer (Hooley).
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:OT but sort of related and perhaps of some interest here...

Stony Brook took these awards in the AE today:

- COY (Pikiell)
- POY (Warner; his 3rd)
- DPOY (Warney)
- 2 First-Teamers (Warney & Purefoy)
- 1 Second Teamer (McGrew)

Albany, which could once again be a thorn in SBU's side next week, also had two First-Teamers and speaking of a thorn in SBU's side, one Third-Teamer (Hooley).
Screw Stony Brook!

Cards wrote:How about 1st team all CAA - I go with Green, Gustys, Curry, Prewitt, and Walker.
I think this is the no-doubt first team, all are very deserving. I think Tank gets 2nd as well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Cards wrote:How about 1st team all CAA - I go with Green, Gustys, Curry, Prewitt, and Walker.
I think this is the no-doubt first team, all are very deserving. I think Tank gets 2nd as well.
I would agree with those.

If Green isn't the POY choice (like he should be), you could almost argue that Gustys is deserving to be the next in line for POY this season. Based on that, it would be robbery if he's left off of the First Team.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:
I would agree with those.

If Green isn't the POY choice (like he should be), you could almost argue that Gustys is deserving to be the next in line for POY this season. Based on that, it would be robbery if he's left off of the First Team.
Cant imagine a 1st team that doesn't include Gustys
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Per the CAA basketball twitter account, award winners will be announced tomorrow night at 7.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

keatts get coty.

totally disagree.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Like an earlier poster mentioned, I think Mihalich is a good coach, but he had the talent to finish #1..
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

disagree.......

lost MN, never had ID....

22 wins....3 years from disaster......

no brainer
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Congratulations to Juan'ya Green....CAA POY !!!!