Men's Lacrosse 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Men's Lacrosse 2016

Post by Jojogunne »

In the Top 10:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/q ... ting/34126

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/c ... p-20/34128

I like the IL poll format. If you click on the team names, you not only see the schedule and results, but also the roster with scoring stats. Very nice to have all that info in one place.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:In the Top 10:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/q ... ting/34126

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/c ... p-20/34128

I like the IL poll format. If you click on the team names, you not only see the schedule and results, but also the roster with scoring stats. Very nice to have all that info in one place.
I like what Quint says about our team chemistry, very encouraging for the season. It's also good to see that both of those polls have us ahead of UNC.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I know everybody's going to be focused on the MBB playoffs on Saturday, but after Hofstra host Georgetown at 12 noon on Saturday, John Danowski returns to Shuart Stadium at 3 p.m. as Duke takes on Harvard in the second half of a terrific D1 doubleheader.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojojonne isn't this the first time Dino has returned to Hofstra. I know he and duke played over st NCC a few years ago
Polito

Post by Polito »

that's a big time Lax Sat - should be a great crowd on hand - decent weather could produce a monster one

HU's got everyone's attention now - major opportunity this year to take that giant step forward

I watched the highlight video and I again came back to the biggest thing I see is the tremendous passion from everyone on the team - the engagement, the excitement, the love for the game and their teammates is just oozing, on the field and up and down the sideline - really noticeable this year, and something that seemed to have been missing

Agree 100% with Quint, the team chemistry really seems to stand out - that is a GREAT sign.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:Jojojonne isn't this the first time Dino has returned to Hofstra. I know he and duke played over st NCC a few years ago
Not sure.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hofstra is #8 in the USILA coaches' poll:

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=46446
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Wow! 40th to 8th in two weeks. Evan, has there ever been such a rapid increase in two weeks in any of the Lax Polls?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The people who vote in the polls (coaches, media, fans) always go with the favorites at the start and then come back to reality when unranked teams win a few games. The best example I recall occurred in 2012, when NO ONE had Loyola in the top 20 and the Hounds wound up winning the NCAA championship on Memorial Day:

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/2 ... ings/11944
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Evan, has there ever been such a rapid increase in two weeks in any of the Lax Polls?
I don't know if it's possible to find that out. For Men's Basketball, the NCAA has a table for each season with the AP rankings for each week, but it doesn't include Others Receiving Votes, and I don't know if the NCAA makes the same table for every sport. I don't follow lacrosse, so I don't know anything off the top of my head.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Evan, thanks for the reply. I was not aware that you did not follow lacrosse as much as you do basketball. I am a great admirer of your statistical knowledge.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: Evan, thanks for the reply. I was not aware that you did not follow lacrosse as much as you do basketball. I am a great admirer of your statistical knowledge.
Thank you. I don't even know how many players a lacrosse team has on the field at once.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Evan, 10 players on the field: 1 goalie, 3 defense, 3 attack, and 3 midfield. The game that lacrosse is most similar to is basketball. Fast breaks, zone or man to man defense, forcing play to the weak hand side, double teaming on a slide, etc. If you look in for about 1/3rd of a game, you would probably understand about 75% of the rules. Remember, lacrosse was being played earlier than basketball.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We crushed NJIT 19-4 last night by the way.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/3/1/mens ... -njit.aspx

0-3 Georgetown is next, they're a good team despite their record, should be a close game on Saturday!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan you might go to any of the lax sites for this info . Laxpower,com or Insidelacrosse.com might have a feature you are looking for.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

It's too bad our game against Georgetown can't be switched with the Duke/Harvard game, since they play at 3 and we play at 12. That means Hofstra fans have to choose between watching the lacrosse game and watching the MBB quarterfinal tournament game, since they're at exactly the same time. I'll probably be watching the basketball game while following live stats for lax.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Aahh, I likey - beating (handily) the teams they SHOULD - another often missing component that has just shown itself in this season

Still early, but getting interesting...
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Byrne had amazing assist last night. He was on the goalie's left side and Llinares was on the right. Byrne picked the ball up with one hand and flipped it high to Llinares on the right, who quick-sticked into the goal.

A few plays later, Josh launched a rocket from about 15 yards in front of the goal. It was the hardest shot of the night by anyone.