Former HU B'ball commit Gabe Levin

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Former HU B'ball commit Gabe Levin

Post by Captain »

Do you all remember 6'8" forward Gabe Levin? He was a commit for Mo who de-committed when Mo was fired. He had a fine freshmen year at Loyola Marymount, but then transferred to Marquette.This is his redshirt year. Marquette has a great incoming (2015) class coming in and they have seemed to have recruited over Gabe Levin so he is leaving.
i wonder if JAM and co. have interest here? Whether you liked Mo or not this guy is a player who had committed to Hofstra and would be eligible next fall.
What do you all think?
HUSID80

Re: Former HU B'ball commit Gabe Levin

Post by HUSID80 »

In a heartbeat!!!!!!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Heck yeah

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Someone email this to staff - we should go after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

talent and size wise, yes, he's the kind of guy you go for as a mid

however, to offer some balance here, he's also a kid that is developing a 'bounce-around' resume - I'm not a fan of guys who go from one program to the next at the drop of a hat - there are situations, but it's a bit of a red flag to me

at any rate, appears he may want to go further West, Hawaii or Long Beach St I saw somewhere - strange programs to me, this is a weird situation - not sure how, but I think HU can find a better fit
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agree somewhat with what Polito said. He would have to assure us he is looking for a home and that Hofstra is it. he would also 'want" to come to Hofstra.Talent is there but at what price. Dont want a malcontent on the team if he is not getting the playing time he wants.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We don't know what Marquette said to Levin or what promises were made re PT.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

If Long Beach and Hawaii are his choices now, he's clearly just looking for an all expenses paid vacation, not a serious basketball career.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I don't know the kid but here are his circumstances;First he committed to Hofstra and then Mo cassara was fired. None of the 6 recruits who Mo recruited were either invited or chose to come to a new coaching staff. Not unusual, the ties that a high school kid are with the coaches who recruited him, not the University.
Second he goes to Loyola marymount late in the recruiting stage and excels for a struggling team who then fired their coach. Staring at a new coaching staff again, he has an opportunity to go up a level, closer to home to Marquette. In his redshirt year there he sees another new coach (Mike Dunlap from St. Johns) come in and recruit one of the top classes to begin in 2015 including a kid named Ellenson who is deemed a megastar at levin's position. I think he realized he wouls sit out a year and then sit on the bench at Marquette and chose to give himself the best chance to play when he is eligible. It's easy for us to make judgments about kids but at the end of the day, maybe all he wants to do is give himself the best chance to excel. If JAM knows and likes the kid, I would be eager to have him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree to an extent Captain, he's a nice talent with solid size - however, I'm not a fan of bouncing around at the drop of a hat, or anytime a situation doesn't go exactly your way

And quite frankly if he's so interested in giving himself the best chance to excel and grow I have a hard time seeing Hawaii or LBState as those type of places - those are MAJOR drops from MU - MAJOR

Yes coaching changes can send players searching for the desired fit, and that's fair - but at the same time there's a point of bouncing around to where you ruin any potential foundation of a career, and your rep

Not knocking the kid, theres always the real side to the story that most will never know - I just don't think the character fit is right for HU - but as you said, if JM wants him and the feeling is mutual, I'm all in - I just doubt that's the case.