MBB Game 21 - UNCW, 1/19/23 (Thurs), 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: MBB Game 21 - UNCW, 1/19/23 (Thurs), 7 PM

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote: Students should be back for next home game - hopefully there will be some interest. If the team continues to play like they did tonight, they deserve to get some buzz!
It took until they started to pull away in the second half, but the HU baseball team in the first few rows of the Lion's Den was pretty vocal and got other parts of the crowd into it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:We are the most talented team in the CAA. IF WE PLAy TO OUR TALENT LEVEL WE WIN THE LEAGUE
Not sure about that yet compared to Charleston, but could definitely say one of the most if not the second-most talented.

As already noted by Cards and by Speedy after the game tonight, it's ALL about the D. What happened Monday offensively is the aberration. The offense can generally be counted upon. I say it now and will continue to say it all season - just as the team that cut the nets three years ago, this team's defense will take them as far as they want to go. They locked down most of the game and especially in the second half tonight. I asked Speedy if it was the best, most complete half they played -- offensively and defensively -- this season, given the competition and he agreed it was. If they can bottle that for most of what's left in the season, and especially for three days in DC, they are capable of beating Charleston. So, it's up to them -- who do they want to be? How consistent do they want to be? How much of an effort do they want to give defensively and how well do they want to communicate defensively the rest of the way? We will see. But tonight showed that at least they CAN do it, that they are at least capable of doing it on a championship level.

p.s. their six CAA wins are by 14, 16, 13, 20, 24, and 24 points. They have held a double-digit lead in all eight CAA games they've played so far.
Last edited by Wags on Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

UNCW 46, Thomas/Estrada 45

Evan - has any Hofstra duo ever matched or outscored an opponent's entire team before? If not, was this the first time it was only one point away?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

As I said before, we are the MOST TALENTED team in the League but perhaps one of the most inconsitent due to our shooting slumps on occasion and lack of defense on occasion.
Hopefully this week was a teaching lesson for this team...getting blown out by Toson and blowing out UNCW...that when we play HARD and good defense we win.
Looking forward to that Charleton game!
Rest up Pride with the Saturday off.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wags I read your bio
Impressive
Have you ever thought of doing a podcast
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: Looking forward to that Charleton game!
Do not look past Elon! Need to do there what they did at Hampton and at W&M or they won't be going into Charleston the right way, even with a narrow win at Elon in which they might not play that well. And if they were to actually lose at Elon (though I don't think they will), we won't have too much confidence in going to Charleston. One game at a time. It's probably good that they don't play this Saturday and have a full week off coming off a great win last night to rest up, catch their collective breath, and watch film/scout/prepare for both Elon and Charleston at the same time.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Wags I read your bio
Impressive
Have you ever thought of doing a podcast
Thanks, but I just make it sound good lol, it's honestly not that great compared to so many others. That's not fake humility, just the truth. lol

I have done several podcasts in the past, with several different people - college basketball, the Knicks, football (college and the Giants - I especially miss doing the Giants one right now for obvious reasons, after last Sunday!). I miss all of that, it was fun. We had some good guests, like Don La Greca (from ESPN), Ian Begley and Chis Herring (if you know them from their coverage of the Knicks/the NBA), Steve Masielo, several others. I was invited to call into others' podcasts as a guest sometimes, usually to talk Knicks during the Carmelo era. That was fun too. But there are so many podcasts out there, it's difficult to gain attention and stand out, so those all of those podcasts just sort of naturally dissipated. But hey, if anyone has any ideas and wants to work together, let's talk. A Hofstra hoops one would be a blast (just not sure who outside of this board might listen).
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Was at the game last night - Easily the most impressive W of the season. Coupled with Sparty's gritty W over Rutgut and the C's come from behind victory over GST made Zman a very happy camper for the evening.
On another note I visited with Jon before the game having not seen him in a couple of years. I never knew his last name (even though I had dinner with him a few times). Thanks to him writing up the game and Stu complementing him on his bio - the Sherlock Holmes in me deduced Wags and Jon Wagner are one and the same - lol
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

would have bet the house on UNCW getting 3 and a half...
probably best defensive effort from this team since the 19-20 season. very few easy baskets or open looks from 3.
estrada has been off lately but looked good in the second half
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jon how about a fans corner podcast featuring these disfunctional Hofstra fans. Questions like when we started to follow hHofstra. What was the draw to bring us in. Funny stories about our interactions with each other. In other words from the fans view
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Jon how about a fans corner podcast featuring these disfunctional Hofstra fans. Questions like when we started to follow hHofstra. What was the draw to bring us in. Funny stories about our interactions with each other. In other words from the fans view
I wouldn't say anyone here is dysfunctional :D but that sounds like it would be fun.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Was at the game last night - Easily the most impressive W of the season. Coupled with Sparty's gritty W over Rutgut and the C's come from behind victory over GST made Zman a very happy camper for the evening.
On another note I visited with Jon before the game having not seen him in a couple of years. I never knew his last name (even though I had dinner with him a few times). Thanks to him writing up the game and Stu complementing him on his bio - the Sherlock Holmes in me deduced Wags and Jon Wagner are one and the same - lol
You never see them both at the same time though, so you never know. :D Good to see you last night, as always, Z! Thanks for coming over to say hi. When we were talking before the anthem, I think a tie at halftime sounded about right. Who knew that second half was coming?! :shock:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:According to ESPN we are a 3.5 fav, mostly due to homecourt and it gives us a 70.2 % chance of winning.
I'll sign up for it right now!
We'll see how accurate that info. is tonight won't we. Fingers crossed.
Guess ESPN knew what it was talking about with this one, though it should have been 50% for the first half and 95% for the second half.
It's so hard to predict any of these games like us losing by 21 at Towson and then winning this game by 24. There are a lot of up n down swings in this game of basketball.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

College basketball is like that everywhere due to the transfer rules, etc...it's like a "box of chocolates" you never know what you're going to get.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: UNCW 46, Thomas/Estrada 45

Evan - has any Hofstra duo ever matched or outscored an opponent's entire team before? If not, was this the first time it was only one point away?
On December 28, 2018, we won 91-46 hosting Delaware. Justin Wright-Foreman (29) and Eli Pemberton (17) combined to tie Delaware. I cannot guarantee we did not have teammates do that since then, but I checked all of our wins by 30+ since then. If you want to check the box score of every win since then, you can.

Jerry Beach tweeted that it was our fewest points allowed in a half since a 58-49 win over George Mason in the CAA Semifinals on March 5, 2006. That was 540 games ago, so 1,080 halves ago. That was ten days after we beat them when they were Number 25 in the Coaches Poll.

Northeastern hosts ranked Charleston tomorrow. Would anybody like to guess how many times Northeastern hosted a ranked team before that?
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: UNCW 46, Thomas/Estrada 45

On December 28, 2018, we won 91-46 hosting Delaware. Justin Wright-Foreman (29) and Eli Pemberton (17) combined to tie Delaware. I cannot guarantee we did not have teammates do that since then, but I checked all of our wins by 30+ since then. If you want to check the box score of every win since then, you can.

Jerry Beach tweeted that it was our fewest points allowed in a half since a 58-49 win over George Mason in the CAA Semifinals on March 5, 2006. That was 540 games ago, so 1,080 halves ago. That was ten days after we beat them when they were Number 25 in the Coaches Poll.

Northeastern hosts ranked Charleston tomorrow. Would anybody like to guess how many times Northeastern hosted a ranked team before that?
Thanks for the info. above. Interesting that it was very similar: JWF & Eli with 29 and 17 vs. Delaware's 46 points and on Thursday, Thomas & Estrada with 28 & 17 vs. UNCW's 46 points.

Not sure on Northeastern, but maybe they hosted UMass at least once, maybe multiple times (being from the same state?), when UMass was ranked several years in a row under Calipari and then under our old Drexel friend Bruiser Flint, in the '90s? And I think I recall Northeastern one time in recent years hosting Michigan State when the Spartans were ranked very high.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This win over UNCW on Thursday ends up being even bigger on Hofstra's off day today with Towson, Drexel, UNCW, and NC A&T all winning today.

For the moment, it keeps Hofstra in a three-way tie for second, slightly ahead of UNCW, and 1 1/2 games ahead of NC A&T.

The current standings:

Charleston 9-0
Towson 6-2
Hofstra 6-2
Drexel 6-2
-----------------------
UNCW 6-3
NC A&T 5-4
Northeastern 4-4
Stony Brook 3-4
Delaware 4-5
W&M 3-5