MBB at Northeastern 1/21

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
RollPride15

Re: MBB at Northeastern 1/21

Post by RollPride15 »

Issues kind of go out the window when you win against the defending champs in their place. The guys showed a ton of heart, and maybe this is the spark Hofstra needs. Joe, his staff and of course the players should be proud of this one.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Now that was a battle.. Not sure how we outlasted them, so much happened but great win on the road! Now lets hope the game Saturday gets snowed out. These guys are gassed!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

That was a classic. There are certain Hofstra games you remember over the year. This will definitely be one of them for a long time.

Great, gutty win for this group. I think this will help them in the long run.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

The W&M game should be moved to Monday evening for the safety of all involved.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

What a game - these 5 battled - glad I stayed up for this one - happy for these guys because you can NEVER ever question their effort

Gustys - is a beast and our key player - no question an improved player that is a CAA force - another 20/20
Green - solid game 14 assists only 3 turnovers in 55 minutes
Koon - a double double- great 1st OT period - could have ended the game twice by hitting crunch time free throws
Bernardi - 3 bad turnovers/twice had to force bad shoots because he was aware of the clock - not a great tonight - stayed up late and got to see him hit layup - automatic from the line
Tanksley - terrible during regular halves including all 5 of his turnover - better in OT
Buie/Nicols - incomplete

great game to watch - real slugfest - we again had chances to close them out with big leads (starting 5 completely gassed) - poor foul shooting (Koon) could have ended it twice - team battled - rebounded well - very few fouls allowed us to have our key players available for the entire OT-

our bench played 16 out of a possible 275 minutes (compared to NE bench playing 107 minutes out of 275)
our bench had 5 points (compared to 34 bench points from NE)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This was an epic win... hopefully defines the grit of this team and springs them to great things the rest of the way... both teams gave it all and we came out on top... Get some rest and let's take it to W&M on Saturday!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

they have to work in the younger guys more, this team cannot hold a lead at the end of games because they are shot.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: School record number of 3's for Northeastern, with still a chance for more in 3 OT
Northeastern's 17 three-pointers were the most allowed by Hofstra since at least 2005-2006, and it was tied for the fourth most three-pointers by a team in CAA history. The CAA record is 20. Northeastern today combined with Hofstra's loss to South Carolina made it the first season in CAA history where two teams made at least 17 three-pointers in a game. Hofstra had 60 rebounds. The team record is 67. Northeastern had 28 assists. Hofstra's record is 25 and the CAA's record is 33. Northeastern made more three-pointers than College of Charleston made field goals, but Northeastern won and College of Charleston lost. Green (14) and David Walker (13) gave each team a player with at least 13 assists, and Hofstra had three of the five double-doubles. Koon, Gustys, and Zach Stahl also had double-doubles.

In their loss at William & Mary, Elon's Tanner Samson had more blocked shots (2) than made three-pointers (1). Going into the game he had 11.58 times as many three-pointers made (301) as blocked shots (26) in his career.

Edit: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... =400833338 is the Associated Press recap, which was larger than usual. http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=6996 is the box score.

Florida State is 43rd in the RPI, which give Hofstra a Top 50 RPI win. Hofstra (82nd) and William & Mary (48th) have the Top 2 RPIs in the CAA.
Last edited by EvanJ on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:they have to work in the younger guys more, this team cannot hold a lead at the end of games because they are shot.
I know that has become the trendy thing to say on this board, but how do you say the starters are too tired to hold a lead at the end of the second half, but then see all of those guys subsequently play through three overtimes to grind out a huge road win?

Koon played 53 minutes tonight and after the point when most here would say he's gassed (after the second half), he proceeded to score Hofstra's first 11 pts in overtime. He didn't look too tired to close out the game then. Not in the least.

Nor did Bernardi (50 minutes) when in the THIRD overtime, he converted a huge And-1 to put them up 4, before later, when he should have had tired legs, calmly sank two FTs to ice the win.

Just because people say it over and over again doesn't mean it's necessarily true or is what is actually taking place.
Last edited by Wags on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Terrific call by JAM to have us intentionally foul NU when we were up 95-92. Ford missing that FT essentially iced it for us.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Terrific call by JAM to have us intentionally foul NU when we were up 95-92. Ford missing that FT essentially iced it for us.
It worked out, but that can backfire.

There are definitely two schools of thought with that. Many like to foul, many don't.

I say just play good D. If you make a stop, you win. Period.

Too much can potentially go wrong with fouling. They make the first, miss the second and get a game-winning And-1 or it gets tapped out for a game-winning 3. Now you not only don't go to OT, but you actually lose.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

What a roller coaster.. GREAT WIN..

The Green Machine and The Rock were phenomenal tonight. They really came to play. The team has to build on a game like this though. I hope they have their legs for Saturdays tilt. At 84-80 I thought we were dead in our tracks in that second OT, really showed heart to come back to force a third.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great TEAM win, everybody made huge plays in OT, it was a game we needed to have, and we weren't leaving until we got it.

55 minutes for Juan'ya!!!! Beast. POY performance tonight.

Rok with 20/20 again!! Also, what a pass to Bernardi in 3OT on the three point play, he's the top big man in the CAA. 3-5 from the line, there's that 60%!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Charles Jenkins had a bet going with Matt Janning for the game. So now one of NU's finest has to change his twitter picture to Hofstra.
https://twitter.com/thejenkinsguy22/sta ... 4969259008
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Wags wrote:
cactus wrote:they have to work in the younger guys more, this team cannot hold a lead at the end of games because they are shot.
I know that has become the trendy thing to say on this board, but how do you say the starters are too tired to hold a lead at the end of the second half, but then see all of those guys subsequently play through three overtimes to grind out a huge road win?

Koon played 53 minutes tonight and after the point when most here would say he's gassed (after the second half), he proceeded to score Hofstra's first 11 pts in overtime. He didn't look too tired to close out the game then. Not in the least.

Nor did Bernardi (50 minutes) when in the THIRD overtime, he converted a huge And-1 to put them up 4, before later, when he should have had tired legs, calmly sank two FTs to ice the win.

Just because people say it over and over again doesn't mean it's necessarily true or is what is actually taking place.
But you have to play on both ends, not just on the offensive side. They blew a significant lead in regulation, and leads in the first two overtimes. They pulled out the win but shouldn't have had to do it in that fashion. It's going to be an even bigger problem when they have to play three games back to back in Baltimore.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I love the giving a foul with a 3 point lead. Defense is NOT this teams strong point. Why give a team a chance to tie when you have a 3 point lead. Worst case you get the ball back with a 1 point lead. Having the ball batted back to the opponent is what 20% as opposed to defending the trey at 35%. I will take the better odds. The women actually lost a game on a 4 point play with 7 tics left.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:I love the giving a foul with a 3 point lead. Defense is NOT this teams strong point. Why give a team a chance to tie when you have a 3 point lead. Worst case you get the ball back with a 1 point lead. Having the ball batted back to the opponent is what 20% as opposed to defending the trey at 35%. I will take the better odds. The women actually lost a game on a 4 point play with 7 tics left.
As I pointed out, that's NOT the worst case. I gave two examples where things can go very wrong and you can actually lose the game.

If you simply play D, unless you foul on 3-point shot, the worst case is a tie, but not a loss.

And the odds are in your favor simply playing D. Given what most teams shoot from 3, there's only about a 35-40% chance they make the shot, and that percentage likely goes down from there with the pressure of a last-second 3. When you foul, and some of the things I mentioned above can happen, you introduce a lot of different variables that can change those odds.

As you said, D is not this team's strength, so maybe it's a bit different for HU, but not much. I was speaking strictly in general, for any team in that situation. But even for HU, I just play D. The one thing I'll say though is last night, your way, you have more of a case, since the one thing NU was able to do offensively last night was hit the 3 (they made 50% on 34 attempts, but that's not usually going to happen; normally, it's the odds I mentioned above, in most cases, against most teams).
Last edited by Wags on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
Wags wrote:

But you have to play on both ends, not just on the offensive side. They blew a significant lead in regulation, and leads in the first two overtimes. They pulled out the win but shouldn't have had to do it in that fashion. It's going to be an even bigger problem when they have to play three games back to back in Baltimore.
cactus wrote: But you have to play on both ends, not just on the offensive side. They blew a significant lead in regulation, and leads in the first two overtimes. They pulled out the win but shouldn't have had to do it in that fashion. It's going to be an even bigger problem when they have to play three games back to back in Baltimore.
HU couldn't defend the 3, but even with NU as hot as it was from 3, the D wasn't that bad aside from a 14-2 second-half run for NU. Hofstra had only allowed 58 points with 2 minutes left and only 65 through regulation. Again, I don't see fatigue as the reason they didn't win the game in regulation. And certainly not fatigue defensively. The reason they didn't close it out sooner had to do with what I always say with this team when it comes to living and dying by the 3 instead of attacking the rim more often -- first half, 42 points and 8-14 from 3; second half, 23 points and 0-8 from 3. That's not the defense or fatigue, or even tired legs on the 3s in the second half, because they picked it up in the OTs with that. It's mainly the shot selection and executing in the half court.
Last edited by Wags on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/ ... story.html is the Boston Globe's recap. http://gonu.com/news/2016/1/21/MBB_0121 ... ath=mbball is Northeastern's recap. http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/1/21/MBB ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's recap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38_tPb__cY8 has highlights.

Hofstra has a chance to have the CAA's leader in points (if Green can pass David Walker), rebounds, and assists. The last CAA team to do that was Delaware in 2004-2005, when Harding Nana led in points and rebounds and Mike Slattery led in assists.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

stuball888 wrote:I love the giving a foul with a 3 point lead. Defense is NOT this teams strong point. Why give a team a chance to tie when you have a 3 point lead. Worst case you get the ball back with a 1 point lead. Having the ball batted back to the opponent is what 20% as opposed to defending the trey at 35%. I will take the better odds. The women actually lost a game on a 4 point play with 7 tics left.
I like the idea of fouling, but they fouled with over six seconds left on the clock, at midcourt, when Northeastern was trying to call a timeout. One second ran off the clock. It ended up being a moot point, but you have to let some more clock run there so they never get a chance to come back and get a good look.