Men's Basketball vs. James Madison On 1/16/2016 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: Men's Basketball vs. James Madison On 1/16/2016 at 4:00

Post by ProudofPride »

Tough loss, but at least we're still in first place in the conference, 6 way tie. Since both us and JMU play better on the road, hopefully we can bounce back and beat them at their place.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just leaving, made 2nd half...

Absolutely BRUTAL

THAT is what happens when you have no depth folks - when you sub DB for Rokas you are in BIG trouble - ridiculous

Effort was fantastic - game was intense - crowd was solid - but now you all understand why this team will struggle mightily too win the CAAT - Bernardi had NO legs at end shots were aweful - and Green couldn't get shots to fall

RG is a complete STUD - we are watching a tremendous player developing - this loss hurts, simply because it's more proof to me this team is in major trouble in the tourney - JMU rolls deep, and other top CAA teams are going to give HU problems

Koon was terrible to end regulation - his poor play almost solely cost them the game - HU had it - and he tries hard, will never question his effort - but he is such a liability - will give him credit for great rebounding position, but he struggles to score a lot and his D is terrible

Really really disappointing... Not in the players or coaches at all, just in the reality

And unfortunately, one of best home crowds of the yr and once again HU loses - it really sucks. Feel for the team - this one stings
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

James Madison won 86-82 in overtime. Hofstra has made 11 out of their last 53 three-pointers (.208). Hofstra missed 27 three-pointers, which is their most since at least 2002-2003, which is as far back as I could find information for. That covers 431 games. The attendance was 1,687.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status ... 3631198208 says Canyon Barry is out for the season.

Edit: Hofstra players other than Gustys shot field goals 18-65 (.277).
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JMU fans keep talking about how bad Gustys is at FT shooting. Maybe they should focus on how their own team combined to shoot only 56% from the line today, and it was a lower percentage than that in regulation. In fact, in regulation they were exactly 50% from the line, which was Gustys' FT percentage today. Don't criticize one player for doing poorly at something when your team isn't doing much better.

I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure we've shot 3s at a way lower percentage than our season average for the past several games. Perhaps it's time to figure something else out.

Also, glad to see a higher attendance number today. Hopefully that number continues to improve.
Cards

Post by Cards »

General comments - very exciting game....fun to watch.....guys gave it all they had.

Really poor shooting killed us.......tired legs did not help.......some questionable calls (but that likely goes both ways)....... Why not AW when RG fouled out (or at least go off/def subs.

I'm not happy with BB lack of ability to shake free or use screens to get open. He's playing without his best weapon.
MN was a total liability today.
Why did we not get the ball to RG in the post first thing in OT. I always thought you were supposed to keep doing what works/wins until the other team takes it away from you. They could not guard him....we should have gotten the ball to him!!

CAA is anybody's conference to win. Just have to keep playing hard to secure an NIT bid (hopefully that's not already gone) because 3 in 3 is unlikely.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Regular season champ gets automatic NIT bid if they don't win Conference. We had a great oppty to separate ourselves from the rest of the pack...now we are one of SIX teams tied for first.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Tough loss, good effort though, just felt like we lost a chess match when Rokas fouled out.

Bottom line is we didn't shoot the ball well, Tanksley had a horrific night, 4-20, just stop shooting the ball at that point, I thought Cornelius Vines was back in uniform. Nobody but Rokas was anything close to 50%, so maybe this was a physical hangover from playing the whole game against Drexel on Thursday night. JMU was good defensively, but we missed so many shots. This team can't win shooting 36%, we didn't play Drexel tonight.

Defense was pretty good, I really liked the effort, it didn't feel like JMU was just going to score at will tonight, like has been the case so many games the past three years. Regardless, JMU still shot over 46%, so if they didn't suck from the line, they would have probably beat us in regulation.

Again, unacceptable use of the bench, 18 minutes tonight. It cost us the game, plain and simple. Mihalich gets lost in the game at times, it kills us, he has to be sharper with his roster utilization.

Refs had a bad night, it was an ugly performance. Mihalich called a timeout with .8 seconds left just to lay into the refs one more time...while it was hilarious, it was a pathetic move, the league could really suspend him for that one.

Cards wrote:Why did we not get the ball to RG in the post first thing in OT. I always thought you were supposed to keep doing what works/wins until the other team takes it away from you. They could not guard him....we should have gotten the ball to him!!
First off, Rokas had an epic game. Very proud of his performance. I think they were looking for a pick and roll early in the OT, but they went right back to him again before he fouled out, I mean you can't go to him every possession when he's shooting 50% from the line, even if he's having a career night.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Tough loss, good effort though, just felt like we lost a chess match when Rokas fouled out.

Bottom line is we didn't shoot the ball well, Tanksley had a horrific night, 4-20, just stop shooting the ball at that point, I thought Cornelius Vines was back in uniform.
Haha. Great line.

Seriously, Tanksley shoulders the blame for this loss. Besides shooting so poorly, HE NEVER PASSES THE BALL. One thing I like about Bernardi is that he is as quick to pass the ball when's he's covered as he is to shoot when he is open. I also applaud his efforts to drive to the hoop to keep defenders honest. And he's probably our second-best rebounder, after Gustys.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

The story of this game was the officiating. Absolutely horrendous. Especially the short guy. I've seen him do Hofstra games before and it's the same garbage every time. He must have it in for Michalich or had JMU plus the points. Either way that officiating crew should not be employed, that was an embarrassment. They missed at least 5 traveling violations on JMU throughout the game along with several head scratching calls mostly on HU. JAM should have got tossed with 0.8 seconds left. He had every right to, Buie intentionally fouls a guy with 3 seconds left but they blew the whistle 2 seconds later.

Besides the refs, you have to put this game mostly on Tanksley who was terrible today. If you miss 5 or 6 shots in a row, you should probably look to pass once or twice but he kept chucking them up and couldn't hit the ocean. He hasn't been the same since he hurt his neck. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but he really cost us today. He took 20 shots and made 4!!!

I'm not sure why some of you get on Koon so much all year. I don't see how he is such a liability out there. He has a knack for coming up with loose balls and has good instincts. He's a nice complimentary player for this team, which is exactly what we needed coming into the season.

Once again Bernardi gets lost in these games. He actually missed a couple of shots late in the game that he usually buries, but the offense goes long stretches too often of not looking for him. There were several opportunities for the ball to swing in his direction for an open 3 but instead swung it to the ice cold Tanksley. Very frustrating.

Green had a good game but what can you say about Gustys. We are watching a guy blossom before our own eyes. And the kid is only a Soph. He's an absolute monster out there. The only thing I'd like to see besides an improvement at the free throw line is him dunking the ball. Too many times he gets fouled in great position for a slam but instead he lays it up and misses because he was fouled. Just throw it down! But hey these are nitpicks if the guy is going to average 20 and 10. Keep it up Rock!

Lastly, another poor job using the bench by Joe. When RG fouls out, he puts Buie in. Not only that, but Buie on defense is under the basket while Koon is out above the 3 point line! Seriously??????? JMU went down low immediately on multiple crucial possessions and scored easy buckets. Terrible!!

This was an exciting game and the crowd was into it, but on many levels it was a very frustrating game to witness. On to the next..
Wags

Post by Wags »

While many here still worry so much about depth, the real worry should be living and dying by the 3 too much from the starting five.

This game wasn't about who they couldn't bring in after Gustys' epic game ended because he fouled out or anything to do with the bench.

If you want to know why they lost look no further than these numbers from 3-point range:

Tanksley 1-9 (11 attempts from 2)
Bernardi 2-10 (5 attempts from 2)
Green 2-8 (5 attempts from 2)
Koon 1-5 (8 attempts from 2)

If you're not making them, move the ball, get to the rim, take mid-range shots. Don't keep forcing up 3s when it's not your day for that. Stop thinking you're Steph Curry when you're not.

That's not to say they're not a good 3-point shooting team in general or that they shouldn't take a lot of them on SOME, even most days, but they need to recognize when that's not working and to have a plan B offensively in that case. Every loss this season has been a result of relying on the 3 too heavily and not adjusting offensively.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Wags you are 100% right. There was way too much settling for 3 pt attempts today when the shots weren't falling. They were having success going inside, but seemed like a lot of the guys wanted the quick points. I know shooters shoot out of it, but wasn't happening today.

Rokas - it crazy seeing how fast he is developing. Really excited to watch him play. Shame they couldn't win a game that he was so dominant in.

Green - very solid game. Stopped the bleeding a few times today and tried to get to the rim and the line a bunch

Tank - as mentioned, didn't have it today and needed to try to find his teammates. (Though kick outs didn't seem to be falling for anyone today either). Also wish he'd stop complaining to the refs he was fouled after every shot he takes.

Koon - I think he takes way too many shots from the outside. He does get good position on the inside and makes some good inside passes and clean up shots. Seems like an intelligent player but not really a scorer.

Bernardi - his shot was off and never got in sync. I love that he is driving to the basket more, but is terrible trying to finish layups. Really needs to work on taking contact when he goes up. He also was having a hard time getting open on the outside. Wish he'd be able to find the open spot better. (Like Brown was doing for JMU)

Buie - really needs more playing time (maybe not replacing a center though). He always makes something happen with the ball. Had a key 3 and also penetrated well - guys just missed the opened 3s he was setting up. He has a lot to offer and we need it.

Refs were awful and may have cost us the game with the two missed travels at the end of regulation (both those possessions ended in points for JMU). JM was all over them for the entire game - rightly so for much of it - but really needed to focus on the team and make some subs. Not just for fresh legs, but for mental rest since the starters were off and sloppy. A few minutes rest for Tank and Koon may have helped.

It was a great game, but a tough home loss to swallow. Could have sent a message to the conference with this one going 5-1. It's going to be a wild ride with everyone so bunched.

The only positive is that they were in this game to the end when half the team was ice cold. If that turns around we win this game going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: Wags you are 100% right. There was way too much settling for 3 pt attempts today when the shots weren't falling. They were having success going inside, but seemed like a lot of the guys wanted the quick points. I know shooters shoot out of it, but wasn't happening today.
I'll preface this by saying that Coach said afterwards that they're good shooters and that maybe he's right that some of the missed 3s were shots they'd normally make. So to that degree, he's correct, and you can't do much about that. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't. Just one of those days.

HOWEVER, the numbers in conference play tell a different story: http://caasports.com/stats.aspx?path=mb ... &conf=true

They're only tied for 5th in the CAA in 3-pt makes (46) and they're only 6th in 3-pt FG% (at an underwhelming 31.5%) in CAA play now. And they were facing the top team in the CAA at defending the 3 (JMU is allowing just 22% from there in CAA play). It's not like we're talking about one of the league's best 3-pt shooting teams having an off day. Percentage wise, they're not even in the top half of the league. Yet, they're only two behind JMU for the third-most attempts. Basketball's simple sometimes: don't take what you can't make. Move the ball, pass up good shots for great shots (even the Knicks have learned that this year! Even Melo! If even they can, well, you know...).

So given that, you have to A) Know what you really are, which goes back to what I said above -- don't think you're better at shooting the 3 than you really are -- i.e. 35 of your 75 shots is way too much from 3, especially when your big man is making 90% of his shots in the paint and you only get him 10 FGA and B) Know your opponent and know that maybe JMU, as well as it defends the 3, isn't that time to jack up all of those 3s, especially when you see you're not making them; so have a plan B offensively.

The quicker they learn that, the better.

They have found something great in Gustys recently. Now they have to get Tanksley's shot selection back on track, set some better screens for Bernardi (because he can't create his own shot) and make sure Green is first and foremost driving and dishing, scoring at the rim or drawing fouls and getting to the line (all of which he's great at), and not getting sucked into taking 3s that he can't make consistently enough. Do those things, and they'll be fine this season. Go back to the old bad habits of everyone thinking they're Steph Curry, and well, you saw the result today -- a game for the ages in terms of Hofstra history, by their big man, completely wasted.

On that being wasted though -- there was one guy who could have prevented that very easily... Rokas Gustys. Hate to say this and nitpick after the monster game he
had, but those free throws. He was better today. His poor 50% (7-for-14) actually raised his season average to 39.8%. But that's still brutal. Just go from atrocious to simply bad, at say 60%, and that's a couple more FTs today and quite possibly a big win, with him carrying the whole team on his back, instead of a very frustrating loss. He simply HAS to improve in that area. For all of the GREAT things he does, while maybe becoming the best big man in the entire conference by year's end, if not sooner, shooting 40% at the line simply isn't acceptable. And it's ALL mental. If you think it's not, today he went to the line for two and airballed one, swished the next.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Our last several games from 3. We’re “supposed to be” the best 3-point shooting team in the conference, but these numbers show differently. As I said earlier in this thread, it’s time to figure something else out, since taking way too many 3s isn’t working anymore. It’s not like it’s 1 bad game from 3, it’s almost every game in January. These are our stats, not our opponents numbers.
JMU: 22.9%, 8-35
Drexel: 16.7%, 3-18
Elon: 27.3%, 6-22
Charleston: 21.4%, 3-14
Towson: 50%, 12-24 (Our best game out of the recent games)
Delaware: 42.4%, 14-33 (Also not bad, about where we should be on average for all of the shooters we have)
Sacred Heart: 29.6%, 8-27
FAU: 34.6%, 9-26

Rokas tied a Mack Arena record with 20 rebounds, done twice before by Kenny Adeleke, vs Monmouth on 12/7/02 and vs UNCW on 2/15/03. He did set a new Mack Arena record for defensive rebounds with 14, surpassing Adeleke’s 13. This record is only for the men’s side, not overall. The most rebounds by any Hofstra player at the Mack (men’s or women’s) is 23, done by Shante Evans twice, but Rokas could surpass that at some point in his career here.
garyg

Post by garyg »

A few points:

1]Obviously a shame to waste great performance by Gustys...not only great scoring/rebounding stats but 9/10 from field...1 assist...1 blocked shot....zero turnovers...if he works hard at it I can see him shooting 60-65% from FT line next season...seems to be committing less unnecessary fouls lately

2] Lack of depth is gonna continue to haunt us the rest of this season...we have all been pushing for staff to give AW and JWF some minutes to gain some experience and give the other guys a little rest...early in season was the time to do it

3] Jojo makes great point on Tanksley NOT passing...once he has ball in his hands he has already made up his mind that he is shooting it, regardless of situations or whether teammates are open....not good

4] I do not think we are going to miss Tanksley and Green as much as people think, especially if we do a solid job with 4 remaining scholarships
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Tanksley frequently had 2 or even 3 guys on him when he drove to the hoop...got to find the open man
garyg

Post by garyg »

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg - I agree, I don't think we will miss them as much as people think. Certainly, JG will be missed more than AT. We will miss JGs driving an dishing, and his ability to finish or at least get fouled. Gotta give the guy credit, he really is very good at that. Based on what I've seen so far (and maybe that not a fair), I don't think DB will be doing that next year. That being said, we may be getting quite a bit of production from Powers that we all seem to forget about. Based on his record, Powers really knows how to score....so we will see. AT is a blue collar player who I think we can replace in terms of output. Not taking anything away from him, he has really played well in some games and helped or even carried the team. I just don't see advanced skills that will need to be replaced. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure some guys on the board will disagree, but I think we saw the best of AT last season.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Cards...I think DB will get into the lane a lot more next season...being a freshman I think he is being a bit conservative this year...he definitely has the quickness and crossover dribble to take it to the hoop and either score or dish off to Rokas and company...

I like our backcourt for next season

PG Buie Powers
SG Bernardi JWF

SF/SG/PG Pembo..although I believe he will be used primarily at the 3 and 2 positions he can fill in at the 1 if need be...he should have major impact as freshman and gives us versatility as he can play 3 positions
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Excellent point, Garyg. We'll certainly miss them as players, but we should still be fairly well off without them next year. We have 3 players red shirting this season, all should be capable of producing next year, and in the few minutes had gotten in most games, Desure Buie is proving to be a very capable point guard. There have actually been a few times this season where I've felt more comfortable with him on the floor than I have with Green. We all know Jamal Robinson's potential, and as frustrating it is that he is red shirting this season, hopefully it means he'll be even better next year, since he did go through a bit of a sophomore slump last year. It's never a bad thing for a player to get extra time working with coaches and putting on more bulk in the weight room. Deron Powers can score, which we will need next year. He put up decent numbers at Hampton, although against weaker competition, for the most part. But he too will benefit from sitting out. And as far as Sabety goes, I remember JAM saying he couldn't believe the kid wasn't already playing at a division 1 school. He looked really good at Tufts, and had good numbers. It'll be interesting to see how that translates to d1, but at least he gets to sit this year out and learn the speed of the game and see how much more physical it is. hopefully Rokas had been helping him learn the ropes.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

While we wont miss tanksley - anyone here who thinks we wont miss green is delusional. the guy is as good of a passer as weve seen here. why do you think rokas is so successful as well as bernardi, etc.