Djambo

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Djambo

Post by garyg »

Does anyone know what to expect from Djambo this season ?? Has anyone seen him work out or practice with team ?? Has anyone discussed him with coaching staff ?? If anyone has any info please post...Djambo is sort of the mystery man on this years roster...
HUSID80

Re: Djambo

Post by HUSID80 »

Last I heard he was home in Africa settling or renewing his visa but that was in June...don't know if he's back yet.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Do you know anything about this kids ability HUSID80 ?? Is he capable of giving us a solid 7-8 points a game and 5 rebounds ??
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

He was in Africa playing with team Mali in AfroBasket 2015, along with Drexel's Mohamed Bah.

Matt Trabold ‏@TrabsMatt Aug 25
Though he went 1-of-5 from the field in both Mali's first and most recent #AfroBasket2015 games (losses to Cameroon and Egypt,…
...respectively), Hofstra's Ibrahim Djambo (sat out last season after transferring over from Clemson) went for 10 points, 9 rebounds and…
...3 blocks in their middle game of the competition so far - a 24-point win over Gabon.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:Do you know anything about this kids ability HUSID80 ?? Is he capable of giving us a solid 7-8 points a game and 5 rebounds ??
He's tall athletic and can shoot...he will be a factor for us and in our league
Polito

Post by Polito »

really just needs to be serviceable - anything more is icing - believe Rokas is poised for a SUPER yr, and to me, Koon is the biggest wildcard piece for this year - if he turns into something and makes a major bonus impact, this team can be extremely good
garyg

Post by garyg »

I agree Polito...I think Rokas will have a very impressive soph. year...he was playing great as a freshman until injury slowed him down...after injury he showed flashes but not consistently...love to see him average 12 ppg and 8 rebounds as a soph.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone have an update on Djambo?? Guess coaching staff would make comment one way or another if they knew something
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We probably won't know anything until this semester is done. He would need to enroll for the Spring semester and be reinstated to the roster.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

he's got to be coming - can't see how they wouldn't be prepping Walker if they thought or knew Djambo wasn't coming...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Let's all hope so...those of you on campus keep at look out for another tall guy. Should be coming soon. Also heard from someone who knows him is that Sabety is sitting out this year not due to mandatory transfer rules as he came from a D three school he could have played right away according to this person.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

If Djambo doesn't return, we will have wasted a scholarship for two years.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Heard he's still home...really tough time getting him here...Do we have a plan B?
garyg

Post by garyg »

I would guess Sabety is sitting out because they feel it would be helpful in transitioning from D-3 to d-1 ???
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sheez, this is VERY frustrating - team desperately needs some post help

And I DEF did not know that Sabety could have played, thought it was an automatic sit when transferring regardless of division - I'm not against it all, guessing they want 1 practice yr under his belt to get a feel for the D1 game - I mean it IS going to be a big diff, so I can see it - I just didn't know that...

Man, really disappointed to hear the struggles continue in getting Djambo here - guess that question is for the staff HUSID, what is their plan B???

Because as I've said several times, this team IMO has the ability to win ANY 1-1 game, BUT as it is now has done nothing to show they can win 3 in 3 - if anything, I've only seen more proof they NEED the help to get it done - If JM wants to keep pushing that mantra that it's ALL about those 3 days in March, then I expect this staff to have a plan to get it done if Djambo does not return - and forcing 5-6 guys to play back-to-back-to-back games sprinkling in some freshmen in this conf is NOT the answer - if it was, HU would've won it already.

Could've been getting Walker valuable PT, experience, and development - I'm fine with the staff choosing not to as it's their program to run (and they're paid to do it) - their butts on the line - BUT that means you damn sure better have another solution.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Without Djambo Walker is the other option/plan B....whole thing with Walker kind of strange...when they were recruiting Walker and watching him workout, watching his games, watching his practices, watching him at summer camps you would think they would have seen signs that he was not their kind of player...from what I see Walker in his very limited appearances last year and this year deserves a shot but must be a LOT of stuff we do not know??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Without Djambo Walker is the other option/plan B....whole thing with Walker kind of strange...when they were recruiting Walker and watching him workout, watching his games, watching his practices, watching him at summer camps you would think they would have seen signs that he was not their kind of player...from what I see Walker in his very limited appearances last year and this year deserves a shot but must be a LOT of stuff we do not know??
I am with you GG, there must be something else - limited roster; the limited knowledge that this fan has in evaluating talent - because otherwise if I were a coach and not a fan a athletic big like AW would get some PT.

I am unsure what this staff and their system requires from their 'bigs" to play but I can say I am not very impressed with their recruiting, development and use of our bigs to date:

Gustys - seems like he'll be a 4 year starter and could end up with some impressive career numbers at HU - reminds me of less talented Pecora recruit Hali Kanacevic
Walker - to quote GG "whole thing with Walker is kind of strange" - personally can't see why AW would stay another year (wish he would, but don't see it)
Djambo - at best we're counting on him for 15 games and wasted a scholarship spot for him for 2 years
Sabety - don't know if it is true of his potential availability this season - but if they never plan on using AW and ID is stuck half way across the world - and HS didn't have to sit out then it was a bad bet on waiting for ID to come back
Payne - JAM inherited him, seemed like a poor man version of A Walker, but let him walk - now starting for Vt and putting up some decent numbers - thought he could have played here
Allen - JAM inherited him, filled multiple roles for JAM in his year here coaching at HU - now starting at SH and also racking up some decent numbers - not sure if he'd helped much if he'd stayed
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

daHUPride wrote: Payne - JAM inherited him, seemed like a poor man version of A Walker, but let him walk - now starting for Vt and putting up some decent numbers - thought he could have played here
i was stunned to read that since i had no idea he was decent now. but not quite decent numbers in their last game,

http://uvmathletics.com/boxscore.aspx?p ... ll&id=1921
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Payne and Allen are where they belong.. in lower level conferences like the AE and NEC. If we are including Allen as a "big" then you would have to include Nichols who is the same height and a much more athletic player. If you include Nichols, I'd say JAM is batting .750. The only miss is Walker, but Gustys was recruited from Oak Hill, and as a soph he is averaging 10 pts, 9 rebs. Nichols is an upgrade over Allen. And Koon will be very instrumental to our success this year. Jury is out on Sabety.

JAM is not settling in recruiting and this should hold true with the bigs. Hofstra always has a hard time landing quality big men. But I am confident JAM can land a JUCO or a graduate student again for next year.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

And pretty disappointed about Djambo. But can't say that I'm surprised. This was a transfer from Clemson, not going to fault JAM for taking a chance on him.