Other Tournaments

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ZMAN3

Other Tournaments

Post by ZMAN3 »

Didn't count exactly but I believe there are 64 teams playing in other Post Season tournaments - Why not Hofstra ? There resume is good enough. Programs like Drake, Mid Tenn, Ohio, NC Greensboro, So Alabama, Kent St, Fla GC, Det, SE La., UTEP and our own UNCW are playing. Some of you have frowned on these tourneys in the past BUT let's face facts. Hofstra is not some elitist program no matter what you may think. Enter one of them and WIN the damn thing then snub your noses at them. Prepping for these games, extra practice and competing are all beneficial. Not WRIGHT!
PS-Extra practice time is one of the main reasons why FB programs grab the opportunity to play in bowl games and NBA Coaches always lament about lack of practice during season and when they have 2 or more days between games - THEY PRACTICE!
triplec2195

Re: Other Tournaments

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Didn't count exactly but I believe there are 64 teams playing in other Post Season tournaments - Why not Hofstra ? There resume is good enough. Programs like Drake, Mid Tenn, Ohio, NC Greensboro, So Alabama, Kent St, Fla GC, Det, SE La., UTEP and our own UNCW are playing. Some of you have frowned on these tourneys in the past BUT let's face facts. Hofstra is not some elitist program no matter what you may think. Enter one of them and WIN the damn thing then snub your noses at them. Prepping for these games, extra practice and competing are all beneficial. Not WRIGHT!
PS-Extra practice time is one of the main reasons why FB programs grab the opportunity to play in bowl games and NBA Coaches always lament about lack of practice during season and when they have 2 or more days between games - THEY PRACTICE!
This is an interesting question and does anyone know whether we were invited to the CBI or CIT tourneys before we start assuming we snubbed the invitation. Also playing in one of these tourneys is going to cost our athletic department money that's very tight right now. Of course from a fans point of view I think we should play in every tourney we're invited to. The kids keep playing and we get some exposure.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

triplec2195 wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:Didn't count exactly but I believe there are 64 teams playing in other Post Season tournaments - Why not Hofstra ? There resume is good enough. Programs like Drake, Mid Tenn, Ohio, NC Greensboro, So Alabama, Kent St, Fla GC, Det, SE La., UTEP and our own UNCW are playing. Some of you have frowned on these tourneys in the past BUT let's face facts. Hofstra is not some elitist program no matter what you may think. Enter one of them and WIN the damn thing then snub your noses at them. Prepping for these games, extra practice and competing are all beneficial. Not WRIGHT!
This is an interesting question and does anyone know whether we were invited to the CBI or CIT tourneys before we start assuming we snubbed the invitation. Also playing in one of these tourneys is going to cost our athletic department money that's very tight right now. Of course from a fans point of view I think we should play in every tourney we're invited to. The kids keep playing and we get some exposure.
The CIT, renamed the Basketball Classic, does not cost anything, if I remember correctly
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Where are these other schools coming up with the gelt we don't have ?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Where are these other schools coming up with the gelt we don't have ?
Before we go there lets find out if we were invited to any of these tourneys. That question may be moot!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I think i saw Detroit Mercy was in one of the tournaments. They had a sub 500 record. I have to imagine we had the opportunity and passed in that case. Also players were also transferring out already so maybe that factored in?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:I think i saw Detroit Mercy was in one of the tournaments. They had a sub 500 record. I have to imagine we had the opportunity and passed in that case. Also players were also transferring out already so maybe that factored in?
Yes thought about the transfers but don't know how that works.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The CBI is a joke and want zero part of it.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Plenty of decent teams in these tourney's - On a par with the GREAT HU! As to the transfers from the program I'm confident they knew HU wasn't participating so I doubt they would have "screwed" their teammates leaving them shorthanded.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

If these other tournaments like the CBI and the former CIT are so good for HU, why are no banners hung in the Mack Arena? I know HU has participated in a few of these in past seasons with no success. I really think it may better for the coaching staff to concentrate on recruiting for 2022-23 considering the number of players needed to fill out the roster.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The Shadow wrote:If these other tournaments like the CBI and the former CIT are so good for HU, why are no banners hung in the Mack Arena? I know HU has participated in a few of these in past seasons with no success. I really think it may better for the coaching staff to concentrate on recruiting for 2022-23 considering the number of players needed to fill out the roster.
Great point! Only other postseason worth taking part in is NIT since at least has tradition with games on ESPN networks. I wish NIT would expand and these other joke tourneys would go away.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

The Shadow wrote:If these other tournaments like the CBI and the former CIT are so good for HU, why are no banners hung in the Mack Arena? I know HU has participated in a few of these in past seasons with no success. I really think it may better for the coaching staff to concentrate on recruiting for 2022-23 considering the number of players needed to fill out the roster.
I think the coaching staff could take some time from their busy itinerary to play in a tourney - 128 other teams manage to do so. Besides the HS season is done - and they'll be plenty more players entering the portal when these teams are eliminated.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:Towson and UNCW are still playing:

https://caasports.com/news/2022/3/13/me ... t-cbi.aspx
Towson got automatic bid to NIT, an actual legit postseason tourney. Why UNCW decided to waste time with CBI I have no idea but no reason to follow their lead.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I am aware of the participation of CAA members Towson and UNCW, but that does not answer the question of the lack of the other banners. I just looked at the HU basketball record book for this past season. There are pages for the NIT and NCAAT teams. There are no pages that I saw for these other HU tournament teams. What does that tell all of you of what the HU athletic administration thinks of the legacy of these types of tournaments. They are not important enough to place a few pages in a digital record of past seasons. For a local example, Columbia won a CIT Championship a few seasons ago, they have not had a winning season since. These other tournaments are really not what you want to build a topflight program. They really have no affect that I can see on building a program that is successful season after season. When programs were considered in the past few weeks to join other conferences or the CAA, did any of us list the prospective college's success in the CBI? All of this seems to me as a way to possibly generate money for a tournament that has very limited appeal, recognition, and media coverage.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:I am aware of the participation of CAA members Towson and UNCW, but that does not answer the question of the lack of the other banners. I just looked at the HU basketball record book for this past season. There are pages for the NIT and NCAAT teams. There are no pages that I saw for these other HU tournament teams. What does that tell all of you of what the HU athletic administration thinks of the legacy of these types of tournaments. They are not important enough to place a few pages in a digital record of past seasons. For a local example, Columbia won a CIT Championship a few seasons ago, they have not had a winning season since. These other tournaments are really not what you want to build a topflight program. They really have no affect that I can see on building a program that is successful season after season. When programs were considered in the past few weeks to join other conferences or the CAA, did any of us list the prospective college's success in the CBI? All of this seems to me as a way to possibly generate money for a tournament that has very limited appeal, recognition, and media coverage.
Just a footnote on these tourneys isn't it true that in Rokas Gusty's senior year we were invited to the CBI and turned it down. Rokas was close to passing David Robinson as the all time CAA rebounding leader but they chose to pass on this tourney. I think that does speak volumes and our position on these tourney's. NCAA/NIT or bust. Years ago we did have a home game in one of these tourneys and lost to Vermont at home. The attendance wasn't even that good if my memory serves me well. https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... /24999243/
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think we were in 2 of those tournaments Once we were playing I think ICUP and we got off to a 18-0 deficit attendence was about 800
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Those tournaments are a waste of time...prefer to sit home and watch the NCAA/NIT than watch us play, and lose in those garbage events.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

All games of the CBI Tournament (Joke) - All Games at the Beautiful Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Fla - One Block from the Beach - Guess the joke is on Hofstra - 16 teams didn't think it was so funny - check the place out - while the NIT plays in their home arena's giving unfair advantages.
PS-Once upon a time before most of you were born the NIT was king and the NCAA was an afterthought. Things change (look around) The CBI is growing (began in 2008) - nothing wrong with a trip to Daytona Beach.
Well as it turns out HU didn't even get an invite (lol) - If you go to the CBI website Bellarmine was the only team that turned down an invite. Also the Semi-Finals and Finals are on ESPN 2
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

And further research reveals - ALL OTHER GAMES (Other than Semi's and Final) on FLO HOOPS - All NIT games are not TV'd