2021-2022 Men's Basketball Player Plus/Minus

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: 2021-2022 Men's Basketball Player Plus/Minus

Post by cactus »

Sure we can look at 2020 but they ran a similar rotation in 2019 and ran out of gas in the final after playing OT the game before (how has that kid Horton from Delaware been playing btw, looked like a real star)

It will be interesting to see how and if speedy manages minutes or just lets them go like joe
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Wags its still about Defense and moving your feet
Remind me again how many points tgst team allowed in3 games then
You don't have to tell me - go back four years ago here, and you'll see I was the one warning not to get too excited (like most were here) about those three wins in a row over Monmouth, Rider, and Stony Brook, when both teams scored in the 80s in each of those games. How did that season end? They scored almost 90 but gave up over 90 and got bounced early in the CAA quarters against UNCW. I've been talking about defense for a long time. Only after they finally won the CAA tourney with defense two years ago did people see what I was saying.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Sure we can look at 2020 but they ran a similar rotation in 2019 and ran out of gas in the final after playing OT the game before (how has that kid Horton from Delaware been playing btw, looked like a real star)

It will be interesting to see how and if speedy manages minutes or just lets them go like joe
Eh, I don't know. It's a convenient excuse every time. Did they lose to NU in the title game because of fatigue or because they were too one-dimensional and over-relied on JWF? Look how they won that OT game. JWF dragged the whole team to OT practically by himself and then they made some FTs.

Lose after the first game they play in the tourney and they always "ran out of gas." Yet if you ask them, they don't say that. Maybe they weren't tired and just got outplayed, like they did in the FIRST half, EARLY in that title game against NU. If they were tired, wouldn't they have played better earlier and fizzled out later? But they did just the opposite - they were terrible early, fell behind by 16 earlier and then came back. If they had "nothing left in the tank," how did they suddenly find the energy to rally from 16 down in the first half to tie the game about midway through the second half?

Why didn't they "run out of gas" two years ago with virtually no bench, when they won a championship? Had they not hit some clutch shots late to hold NU off, I'm sure the narrative would have again been that they "ran out of gas." But maybe they would have simply just missed shots.

It's March now. There will be plenty of time for end of the bench to prove it next year. Now's not the time to see what the 10th or 11th guy can give you when you're trying to win a championship. That's why that worked two years ago.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Wait a minute...timeout. You guys seriously think an 8 man rotation is a short bench in todays College basketball? 8 capable players is the deepest this team has been in over 2 decades. Nobody is advocating for them to play 5 starters for 40 minutes each 3 nights in a row. They need 200 minutes a night, you have 8 capable guys...thats 25 min for each of them if distributed evenly. Theres absolutely no reason why those 8 kids that have earned it cant share those 600 minutes amongst themselves. The other 2 are clear liabilities and when they are on the floor make things much more difficult for the other 8.

It is what it is, its been 30 games and very consistantly Burgess and Carlos have dissapointed. You cant let them screw up an opportunity for the other 8 in the conference tournament. Just unacceptable, play time is over.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

BringBackFootball wrote:Wait a minute...timeout. You guys seriously think an 8 man rotation is a short bench in todays College basketball? 8 capable players is the deepest this team has been in over 2 decades. Nobody is advocating for them to play 5 starters for 40 minutes each 3 nights in a row. They need 200 minutes a night, you have 8 capable guys...thats 25 min for each of them if distributed evenly. Theres absolutely no reason why those 8 kids that have earned it cant share those 600 minutes amongst themselves. The other 2 are clear liabilities and when they are on the floor make things much more difficult for the other 8.

It is what it is, its been 30 games and very consistantly Burgess and Carlos have dissapointed. You cant let them screw up an opportunity for the other 8 in the conference tournament. Just unacceptable, play time is over.
4 of the 8 are bigs
You will see some Burgess for sure.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

BringBackFootball wrote:Wait a minute...timeout. You guys seriously think an 8 man rotation is a short bench in todays College basketball? 8 capable players is the deepest this team has been in over 2 decades. Nobody is advocating for them to play 5 starters for 40 minutes each 3 nights in a row. They need 200 minutes a night, you have 8 capable guys...thats 25 min for each of them if distributed evenly. Theres absolutely no reason why those 8 kids that have earned it cant share those 600 minutes amongst themselves. The other 2 are clear liabilities and when they are on the floor make things much more difficult for the other 8.

Agree -

Estrada/Ray/Dubar/Cooks/Silverio are 5 guys splitting minutes for 4 spots - they'll eat up most of the playing time - match-ups, rhythm, flow and hot-hand will all play a part of whos getting minutes but they'll all average +/- 30 minutes this weekend - Burgess I assume will start an get some minutes - but he is an offensive liability that almost doesn't need to be guarded by our opponents

Iyiola (Pat Sajak or someone buy this guy a consonant), Simmons and Cramer will battle for the remaining minutes - foul trouble and match-up will determine their playing time.

No mysteries - we are deeper - we will play more guys; more minutes (then JAM would play 4 guys 40 minutes each) - BUT - the playing time for Carlos and Burgess (my opinion) will be limited - and Speedy will go with the guy who is dropping them from outside

I hope we throw a curve ball at some of these teams - and unexpected full-court-press occasionally - I think a smaller/quicker/aggressive lineup (I am talking building that around Cramer/Dubar/Cooks) - would be an interesting change of pace to rattle our foe.

Good Luck to Our Team this Weekend in DC...
Hofstra Faithful Heading Down to Support - Bring Us Some Luck!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:

4 of the 8 are bigs
So if I understand this correctly CB who averaged over the course of the year 16+ minutes and lately has been getting 20 or so no longer gets any minutes because his play is disappointing. Is that what u r saying here? Just look at his last game against Charleston where he had 7 points, 6 assists, 1 turnover and 3 steals. Some may say that is an aberration but CLEARLY he's going to play some substantial minutes and deserves them, why because he can play D and he has size. As much as I love Cooks he creates size mismatches for us depending on what team we're playing. If you want to say that Burgess can't shoot the three(22%) and he's weak from the FOUL LINE absolutely correct but c'mon you know he's a plus for us overall. People that don't like Silverio will same the same thing about limiting his minutes but clearly the numbers show otherwise. The other thing here is that IF HEALTHY Cramer will get minutes and will contribute. Now asking why Carlos got 4 minutes in both of the games against Charleston would be a good question? I'll leave that question for others here.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:

4 of the 8 are bigs
So if I understand this correctly CB who averaged over the course of the year 16+ minutes and lately has been getting 20 or so no longer gets any minutes because his play is disappointing. Is that what u r saying here? Just look at his last game against Charleston where he had 7 points, 6 assists, 1 turnover and 3 steals. Some may say that is an aberration but CLEARLY he's going to play some substantial minutes and deserves them, why because he can play D and he has size. As much as I love Cooks he creates size mismatches for us depending on what team we're playing. If you want to say that Burgess can't shoot the three(22%) and he's weak from the FOUL LINE absolutely correct but c'mon you know he's a plus for us overall. People that don't like Silverio will same the same thing about limiting his minutes but clearly the numbers show otherwise. The other thing here is that IF HEALTHY Cramer will get minutes and will contribute. Now asking why Carlos got 4 minutes in both of the games against Charleston would be a good question? I'll leave that question for others here.
Agree here. Burgess is going to get minutes. He is definitely not a scorer, but as Speedy loves to say we have plenty of shooters so maybe he doesn't need to be.

Saying you don't want to play CB and would like to press is is contradictory. If they do press at all you can be certain CB will be in the floor. Plus you would likely need more rotation to play that style to counter fatigue. CB is the best defender on the team. Far superior on D than Cooks or Ray. He is also a good ball handler and distributor. The best at getting the bigs in position to score IMO.

I know offense is important, but its one facet of the game and he does others well. No one is clamoring for Ray not to play. He's a great shooter when hot, but not a good defender or ball handler. You certainly don't need to guard Burgess at the arc, but if you don't respect him at all he can penetrate for a layup or dish. He has that skill set. He also creates a lot of turnovers. I think people are being short sighted on what he brings to the team if you are only looking at points. Also gives Estrada a break from playing point as no one else on the team can handle that spot.

I don't thin we see Carlos unless its a blowout or foul trouble.
Wags

Post by Wags »

A couple of starters/reserves are interchangeable at times, but the main core is Estrada, Cooks, Ray, Dubar, and Silverio. Burgess, Iyiola, and Simmons round out the eight after that. And it should be nine if Cramer is healthy and well.

May not see Carlos at all the entire tourney. Doubt the guards will have that serious foul trouble that they'll need him and I don't see HU blowing anyone out in the quarters or semis that he'd play in that kind of game late.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

There's a big difference between Burgess and Carlos. I hope the top nine players play if they are all available. Burgess has 77 assists, and his 6.6 assists per 40 minutes lead the CAA excluding players with 6 or fewer assists.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Total:
Estrada: +163
Silverio: +131
Cooks: +122
Ray: +110
Dubar: +93
Simmons: +72
Iyiola: +72
Cramer: +27 (tonight we were -19 in his 13 minutes and +3 in the rest of the game)
Burgess: +11
Carlos: +4

Per 40 minutes:
Simmons: +9.90
Cooks: +6.43 (he passed Silverio today)
Silverio: +6.31
Estrada: +5.78
Iyiola: +5.11
Ray: +4.53
Dubar: +3.92
Cramer: +3.41 (fell from +6.05 in one game, which dropped him from fifth to eighth)
Carlos: +0.97
Burgess: +0.93 (he fell below Carlos today)