W&M @ MBB, Saturday, 2/26, 2 PM - Senior Day

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: W&M @ MBB, Saturday, 2/26, 2 PM - Senior Day

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes, we were not at our best offensively but our guards really took it to Mary’s weak ball handlers…how many steals and turnovers did we create? That was the ball game right there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Yes, we were not at our best offensively but our guards really took it to Mary’s weak ball handlers…how many steals and turnovers did we create? That was the ball game right there.
Steals: HU 12, W&M 4 (Estrada 5 steals and 10 rebounds - his 5/12 fg not that bad overall, but Speedy credited him for the steals & rebs on an "off" game shooting wise)
TOs: W&M 19, HU 8
Pts off TOs: 21-9, HU (+12 in a 16-point game)
Fast Break Pts: 10-0, HU
Last edited by Wags on Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:18 of HU's first 23 shots from 3, despite being only 5/18 from 3 and 10/11 at the line (for the nation's 3rd-best FT shooting team coming in).

I just don't get the approach.
Much better approach in the second half (of course, some of it had to do with fast break points and easy buckets off TOs, but still):

1st half: 4/9 from 2, 7/23 from 3 (72% of shots from 3 - and would've been higher if W&M didn't foul on a couple of 3-pt. attempts)
2nd half: 12/17 from 2, 5/12 from 3 (41% of shots from 3 - this is more where it should be for this team)

Take the 3s when they're there -- they are very good at making those. But when they do make those, they shouldn't be allowing those to let them think they can make ALL 3s, the ones they should pass up for better looks elsewhere, maybe inside the arc, or getting to the line. If they do that right, and show shot selection discipline, they can win the title in D.C. with the help of their good 3-point shooting on good looks. If they stubbornly think they'll make every 3 they take because they shot well on some good-look 3s, they'll shoot themselves out of the tourney.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:I think we should use two forwards occasionally.
I think Cramer coming off the ball providing weakside help would be killer for us with his leaping and block shot ability would be especially tough for opponents - I am sure it'd turn into many fastbreak opportunities - with Creamer finishing (hmmmmm - think I saw that somewhere) - plus with Estrada/Dubar/Ray/Cooks/Silverio we'd still have plenty of outside offensive firepower

next year Id love to see
Ioyla/Cramer/Dubar/Estrada/Carlos - running the floor and getting the ball out on the break (Cramer/Dubar and Estrada can all finish very nicely out on transition)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
I think Cramer coming off the ball providing weakside help would be killer for us with his leaping and block shot ability would be especially tough for opponents - I am sure it'd turn into many fastbreak opportunities - with Creamer finishing (hmmmmm - think I saw that somewhere) - plus with Estrada/Dubar/Ray/Cooks/Silverio we'd still have plenty of outside offensive firepower

next year Id love to see
Ioyla/Cramer/Dubar/Estrada/Carlos - running the floor and getting the ball out on the break (Cramer/Dubar and Estrada can all finish very nicely out on transition)
Yes all these things are true but what about this year?? I've repeatedly said that Cramer is underused he's been rehabbing and now is the time to get him minutes. Against some of the smaller teams in this league he might be a better fit in the post over Iyiola and Simmons both defensively and offensively. Also don't forget about the possibility of Omar playing next year. As we have seen even the people that don't like him have to admit he can be a big piece of the puzzle.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:

next year Id love to see
Yes all these things are true but what about this year?? I've repeatedly said that Cramer is underused he's been rehabbing and now is the time to get him minutes. Against some of the smaller teams in this league he might be a better fit in the post over Iyiola and Simmons both defensively and offensively. Also don't forget about the possibility of Omar playing next year. As we have seen even the people that don't like him have to admit he can be a big piece of the puzzle.
Under used - Cramer - for sure - didnt know it was a rehab situation - thought it was a "in the dog house" (no proof of that, just what I thought).
Agree - like yesterday - against an smaller teams I am OK with Cramer over Simmons and Iyiola in the middle - Cramer is the only one that plays above the rim of those 3.
Agree again - Omar is nice piece to our team - think his bone-head plays make many overlook the good he does - tough defender and nice rebounder - and when hot a good shooter - didnt know we might get him back - Id take him, for sure.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

IDK if he's coming back but could as a grad student I would imagine due to Covid last year. He would be a big plus. A real seasoned player definitely better then bringing in a frosh. We will need to have someone who can score otherwise teams will be looking to double triple team Estrada like they're doing now.