Mask Mandate

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: Mask Mandate

Post by HofstraMathew »

Curious the people's thoughts on what UBS Arena, Barclays and MSG are doing compared to Hofstra? Obviously Barclays and MSG don't have a choice and are following NYC law.

UBS Arena - vaccinated or negative test for everyone 5 and over, masks not required (but recommended) for anyone vaccinated
MSG/Barclays - vaccinated for everyone 12 and over, masks not required for anyone vaccinated (not sure if they necessarily say they recommend them or not)

As I stated prior in this thread the vaccine mandates are probably more in following the science than what Hofstra is doing; vaccines are exponentially more effective than masks. I bet if someone ran the scenarios less illnesses and hospitalizations would come at one of those arenas with 10x the amount of people than you would at Hofstra based on the potential for unvaccinated people at Hofstra Arena.

And yes the vaccines are extremely effective. There are numerous real world data showing this. I know there is a lot of scary headlines and even some unclear or incorrect messaging from the government but the actual data shows a highly effective vaccine. Well into the 90% at preventing hospitalizations and at worst in the high 80%'s at preventing illness.

Also just to clarify; as I stated earlier in the thread. I am not against wearing a mask if it makes sense and when I do wear a mask it is a KN95 tightly fitted one. I just don't see it making sense for people to wear a cloth mask for 2 hours that won't do much of anything. This isn't 2020 anymore; we have vaccines.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Curious the people's thoughts on what UBS Arena, Barclays and MSG are doing compared to Hofstra? Obviously Barclays and MSG don't have a choice and are following NYC law.

UBS Arena - vaccinated or negative test for everyone 5 and over, masks not required (but recommended) for anyone vaccinated
MSG/Barclays - vaccinated for everyone 12 and over, masks not required for anyone vaccinated (not sure if they necessarily say they recommend them or not)

As I stated prior in this thread the vaccine mandates are probably more in following the science than what Hofstra is doing; vaccines are exponentially more effective than masks. I bet if someone ran the scenarios less illnesses and hospitalizations would come at one of those arenas with 10x the amount of people than you would at Hofstra based on the potential for unvaccinated people at Hofstra Arena.

And yes the vaccines are extremely effective. There are numerous real world data showing this. I know there is a lot of scary headlines and even some unclear or incorrect messaging from the government but the actual data shows a highly effective vaccine. Well into the 90% at preventing hospitalizations and at worst in the high 80%'s at preventing illness.

Also just to clarify; as I stated earlier in the thread. I am not against wearing a mask if it makes sense and when I do wear a mask it is a KN95 tightly fitted one. I just don't see it making sense for people to wear a cloth mask for 2 hours that won't do much of anything. This isn't 2020 anymore; we have vaccines.
I think the UBS Arena plan is a fair compromise. If everyone in arena is fully vaccinated or negative, I would be fine not wearing a mask, but I also understand why Hofstra would still want people to do so and don't consider it a major inconvenience for something I enjoy. I have been wearing Hofstra cloth masks through the pandemic.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Has the Mask Mandate been lifted ? Noticed (hard not to) Cheerleaders and most fans (not to mention Coach M, wife and the Coles) Maskless. Dopey play by play guys wearing them (at least while on camera)
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Signs at entrance said masks are now optional
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Has the Mask Mandate been lifted ? Noticed (hard not to) Cheerleaders and most fans (not to mention Coach M, wife and the Coles) Maskless. Dopey play by play guys wearing them (at least while on camera)
Yes. Signs say mask wearing is optional when you enter the arena. Optional means it's people's own personal choice, probably without deserving of being called "dopey" regardless of what they choose to do.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Please keep in mind this is a Hofstra sports message board, not Facebook, Twitter, etc., and posts in this topic should directly relate to Hofstra's COVID policy. Additional personal attacks, inflammatory or baiting posts, or broader discussion of COVID policy, being an issue that has been increasingly politicized, will not be permitted.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Do we have any firm insight yet to the mask or vaccine requirements for the CAAT?

I did check the CAA site, but didn't see it...unless I'm just missing it somewhere on there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Do we have any firm insight yet to the mask or vaccine requirements for the CAAT?

I did check the CAA site, but didn't see it...unless I'm just missing it somewhere on there.
https://eventsdc.com/venue/entertainmen ... and-safety

Mayor Bowser has announced the lifting of the vaccine requirement for indoor entertainment facilities, including Entertainment & Sports Arena. Guests attending events at Entertainment & Sports Arena, including Washington Mystics and Capital City Go-Go games, will no longer be required to verify their vaccination status beginning on February 15, 2022.

Face masks are optional inside all Events DC venues starting March 1, 2022.

Guests will be notified about specific protocols required to attend other concerts and events at the time of purchasing tickets or will receive updated information from the event organizer/promoter if requirements evolve.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Late, but thanks Wags, appreciate it -
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Late, but thanks Wags, appreciate it -
I posted it 2/28 - where were ya? lol