MBB vs. UNCW, Monday, 2/7/22, 5 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: MBB vs. UNCW, Monday, 2/7/22, 5 PM

Post by Pride97 »

Big and much needed win. Almost gave it away but thankfully held on to show they can (and should) be able to beat anyone in the conference.

Really wish Burgess was able to score a little. The offense just runs better with him in it and he can help setup Estrada for some looks rather than Aaron having to create for himself. 7 assists today mixed with some good D. Hard to have him play a ton of minutes if the opposing Ds don't respect him as a scorer, but I'm happy that he's gotten more run as of late. At least keeps us away from everyone playing one on one constantly. Ball movement was much better today than in recent games.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:Big and much needed win. Almost gave it away but thankfully held on to show they can (and should) be able to beat anyone in the conference.

Really wish Burgess was able to score a little. The offense just runs better with him in it and he can help setup Estrada for some looks rather than Aaron having to create for himself. 7 assists today mixed with some good D. Hard to have him play a ton of minutes if the opposing Ds don't respect him as a scorer, but I'm happy that he's gotten more run as of late. At least keeps us away from everyone playing one on one constantly. Ball movement was much better today than in recent games.
Such a shame that he has such a weak jump shot if he could hit three's oh my. He has a Kenny Rood like shot high arc but unlike Rood Caleb's shots rarely go in!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:We hang on for a HUGE win…margined should have been more but we missed 3 of 4 free throws as the end. Very uncharacteristic for this team.

Slivering with a huge rebound and hold on as time ran out.

Big time game…too bad it was on at 5 pm…I didn’t finish my golf game until 6…had it on my phone in the cart!
Silverio did play some D in this game and for a change comes up with a big board that he's able to hold on to. Impressive win that should have been much easier and how did we put the ball in Simmons' hands at the end.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote: Silverio did play some D in this game and for a change comes up with a big board that he's able to hold on to. Impressive win that should have been much easier and how did we put the ball in Simmons' hands at the end.
Two games in a row Simmons got the ball late in the game and had issues. I assume he's a better FT shooter than Bey because i cant see why else he'd be in. Though Bey has hit some important late game FTs this season.

I do think he's a better rebounder.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Great win. Like HUSID said though, should have won by more. We didnt hit big free throws down the stretch. I wish they got Estrada the ball late. He had it once, but passed it off to Dubar. Shaky team down the stretch, but glad we pulled this one out.

Ray was cold today, didnt play much down the stretch. Feel bad for him. He was quite the player his first 15 years on the team. He seems to have to prove everything as we move forward.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I’m not sure about the 15 years but crazy that Ray is watching it from the bench but a game like this proves we can win without his contribution. Just wish his game gets on track because what a lift he can give this team if he’s on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by triplec2195 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Need Evan for this one...

When was the last time (if ever?) that Hofstra led by the exact same score at halftime in two consecutive home games?

Hofstra 31, UNCW 30. Saturday: Hofstra 31, JMU 30.
I can't find anything with halftime scores quicker than anybody else. I checked back to 2013-2014, and it was the first time that happened in consecutive games. There were several games that were 1 point apart. I didn't break it down into home and away, but I don't think it happened in consecutive home games.

Burgess became the third player this season to have at least 5 missed field goals, at least 4 rebounds, at least 7 assists, and 0 points. He became the first CAA player to do that since JMU's Ron Curry on December 20, 2014.

I have things I want to do, so I'm not typing a lot of statistics.

In today's other CAA game, Drexel (our next opponent) leads JMU 52-43. Camren Wynter shot 8-11 so far to score 22, and the next most on either team is 10. Charles Falden, who scored 25 against us, did not play, making JMU play without their second and third leading scorers.

Edit: UNCW said it is their first loss in 13 games with at least 70 points.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I thought it felt like a later-round CAA tourney game, CAA semis or even final. 1st-place team vs. 3rd-place team, 21 leads changes, including seven in a row late, the two best players shooting and scoring the way you'd expect, very similar point totals and shooting from 2 and from 3 from each of them, clutch shooting for most of the second half from both teams, others stepping up beside those two (especially for HU with Cooks and Dubar). Very good energy from the start from both teams, sustained for the most part throughout the game, good defense for some stretches, better offense for others. Well-played, fun, right down to the end with UNCW's best player have one barely rim out and the home team knocking off the top team in the conference. I think other than not having the crowd HU had on Sat for TV, it was exactly what CBS Sports Network could've hoped for. I enjoyed. Entertaining game. And the type of game that should help Hofstra should HU find itself in a similar situation in D.C. next month. Shaky yet again late, but nonetheless a big-time win for HU tonight.

This might help HU for the CAA tournament: The Pride is 6-2 in CAA games this year decided by seven points or less and 4-1 (including wins in the last four) in CAA games that came down to the last shot or ended in OT.
Last edited by Wags on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: In today's other CAA game, Drexel (our next opponent) leads JMU 52-43.
Drexel won this game 72-66. What a drastic difference (of 40 points!) from the first half to the second half for Drexel's offense (and maybe JMU's defense).

Dragons were down 28-16 at halftime, then outscored JMU 56-38 in the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote: When was the last time (if ever?) that Hofstra led by the exact same score at halftime in two consecutive home games?

Hofstra 31, UNCW 30. Saturday: Hofstra 31, JMU 30.
Another weird quirk - Hofstra allowed exactly the same by half and very nearly scored the same by half two games in a row:

JMU 30 41
HOF 31 40

UNCW 30 41
HOF 31 42
Wags

Post by Wags »

Estrada was 5/9 from 3 after going 6/10 from 3 on Saturday. He's 19/35 (54.3%) from 3 over his past five games. Prior to that, he was 25/101 (24.8%) for the season from 3.

Amazing turnaround. Only six fewer 3s on 66 fewer attempts and more than double the percentage. Imagine keeping up anywhere close to level from 3 with the mid-range game he has. Would be unguardable.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Now that he's burying his 3's Estrada is essentially unguardable. He's only a sophmore in regards to eligibility, but is the best player on the court every game and might end up as unanimous player of the year in the CAA.
He has jersey in the rafters potential.
Wags

Post by Wags »

That perfect lob from Cooks to D-Stone last night landed at #9 on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 6489559040

Now if only someone would tell the folks at ESPN that there's no 'g' in Darlinstone and it's not "Hawstra" (although this was only a very slight one and almost "Hofstra," not nearly as bad as the "HAWfstra" we've heard from other CAA schools' broadcasting teams over the years).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:That perfect lob from Cooks to D-Stone last night landed at #9 on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays:

Now if only someone would tell the folks at ESPN that there's no 'g' in Darlinstone and it's not "Hawstra" (although this was only a very slight one and almost "Hofstra," not nearly as bad as the "HAWfstra" we've heard from other CAA schools' broadcasting teams over the years).
and even Cooks gets the shout out on the "PERFECT PASS" assist!! Kudos all around!!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:That perfect lob from Cooks to D-Stone last night landed at #9 on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays:

and even Cooks gets the shout out on the "PERFECT PASS" assist!! Kudos all around!!
... and the game was in Hempstead, not Wilmington, NC
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Pride97 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:

A comedy of errors but still a BIG PLUS to be on ESPN.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:

Oh yeah, ha! I didn't even catch that the clip started with, "Over to Wilmington, North Carolina..."

I imagine whoever wrote the copy for the host to read actually saw the clip before writing it, right? Did they not catch that it says HOFSTRA in big letters at midcourt in the clip, before Cooks makes the pass? :roll: