MBB @ UNCW, Saturday, 1/29/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: MBB @ UNCW, Saturday, 1/29/22, 7 PM

Post by Hofstra »

Refs won this game. This was brutal to watch.

Bad loss though. Again, had a huge first half lead, and blew it. That is getting tiring.

Why does Ray and Cooks start? Ray was bad today. Cooks was brutal as well. Let them get in rhythm early.
Wags

Post by Wags »

78-72 loss. Big missed opportunity to make a statement in the conference.

Turnovers destroyed any chance of that, and it was all game long:
1st half: 9 HU TOs, 4 UNCW TOs (14-6, UNCW, in pts off TOs)
2nd half: 8 HU TOs, 5 UNCW TOs (8-1, UNCW, in pts off TOs)

In total, that's +15, UNCW in pts off TOs, which completely wiped (+1 more point) Hofstra's 19-5 start.

Don't understand the shot distribution on the second half, especially with Estrada coming off a second 30-point game in his past four games and with HU having good balance between the three key guards in the first half, but:
2nd half: Cooks: 2/9 fg, Estrada 1/3 fg, Ray 1/2 fg

Credit to the Seahawks though. Just amazing what UNCW is doing this year.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote: Refs won this game.
Sour grapes. Turnovers and not sharing the ball lost this game. Can't get outscored 22-7 in points off turnovers and have just five assists on 25 buckets while committing 17 turnovers.
Hofstra wrote: Why does Ray and Cooks start? Ray was bad today. Cooks was brutal as well. Let them get in rhythm early.
I think you meant why don't they start, to get in rhythm early? They have both been coming off the bench and did again tonight. Ray wasn't effective as a starter, so Speedy's been trying him as a spark off the bench (with mixed results thus far) and Speedy has been working Cooks back in off the bench after he missed games with injury.

Cooks was bad in the second half, Ray wasn't necessarily bad, but yet again uninvolved in the second half. But they were both good in the first half (Cooks 4/5, Ray 4/7). I've been pointing out Ray's no-show games all year, but to say he was bad isn't really fair tonight. He had a good first half and wasn't involved after that (not all on him, also on the team), but not really bad.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Simmons played more minutes than Iyiola.

Our 25 free throw attempts were our most since last year's CAA Quarterfinals.

The last two times we had at least 13 more rebounds than our Division I opponent, we lost. In between we had 13 more rebounds than John Jay. It was the fourth time from 2010-2011 to now that we had at least 13 more rebounds and allowed at least 78 points in regulation. We won the previous three of those games.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote: Refs won this game.
Sour grapes. Turnovers and not sharing the ball lost this game. Can't get outscored 22-7 in points off turnovers and have just five assists on 25 buckets while committing 17 turnovers.
Hofstra wrote: Why does Ray and Cooks start? Ray was bad today. Cooks was brutal as well. Let them get in rhythm early.
I think you meant why don't they start, to get in rhythm early? They have both been coming off the bench and did again tonight. Ray wasn't effective as a starter, so Speedy's been trying him as a spark off the bench (with mixed results thus far) and Speedy has been working Cooks back in off the bench after he missed games with injury.

Cooks was bad in the second half, Ray wasn't necessarily bad, but yet again uninvolved in the second half. But they were both good in the first half (Cooks 4/5, Ray 4/7). I've been pointing out Ray's no-show games all year, but to say he was bad isn't really fair tonight. He had a good first half and wasn't involved after that (not all on him, also on the team), but not really bad.
I just finished watching the second half of this game. Only saw the first half yesterday. Hofstra you have a point here about the refs, certainly one of the worst games I've seen where the refs couldn't/didn't get control of the game and just called ticky tack fouls after the skirmish on the court at the 14:09 mark. If a player as so much looked at the opposing player he was called for a foul. All of this ineptitude just played into the hands of the crowd at UNCW and got them riled up. I don't think that helped us but to be fair two of their players fouled out both Phillips and Harvey and he had 14 points. It would have been nice to play a clean hard fought game of basketball between two evenly matched teams. The fouls called on Cramer one after another were just ridiculous. The league should take a look at this game and maybe some changes would be made. I honestly don't know exactly how it effected the outcome but have to say it did. Since we play them in a week at Hofstra we'll see how different a game it will be.

Listening to Speedy after the game he went on record saying that the team he now starts with Burgess and Omar is his best defensive team. This speaks volumes since we are all hanging our hats on Ray playing better off the bench which I'm sure is true but it's more then that obviously. Speedy also uncharacteristically alluded to some of the refs calls which is generally frowned upon in a losing effort. We had the advantage towards the end of this game with two of their better players fouling out but all the crazy foul calls seemed to negate that advantage of course we didn't play great either. I give credit to Fornes who hit a tough three from the right corner over Ray. At the time that was a big shot and put them up.

All in all a very competitive game marred by too many fouls being called including technicals. We still don't protect the ball after a rebound on the D end which again cost us in a very close game. Simmons that's on you and then you foul creating a three point play. Need to clean this up.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Just didn’t seem like there was any flow on offense. It’s odd too because they weren’t setting for threes which is great but just felt like they were forcing tough shots and couldn’t get open looks.

Starting to think we got caught up in how well they played against good teams in the OOC that gave us all a bit of false confidence and maybe overrated this team. They can be good, but not dominant.

I know Speedy is very soft spoken and doesn’t give us too much, but I have a feeling based on reading between the lines in his post game that he is angry at his team. I know he mentioned the refs but I think he feels they gave that one away. Just something about the way he started what that they see them again and said he can’t wait for it twice at the end gives me the feeling the team is going to have a week of tough practices. Let’s hope that’s the case and the team responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We lost this game because we did not take care of the ball...way too many turnovers...looks like the scouting report on us is to take the ball from our bigs after we rebound. Happened several times at Charleston and now UNCW.
Also, we are not taking care of the ball as well when Cooks is in the game...love to see some analysis from Evan on that.

Once again, we jump out to a big lead and then let it slip away. For once I'd like to see us keep our foot on the gas pedal and bury someone. We definitely have the talent and bodies to do so.
Looking forward to seeing them again at our place...think the outcome will be much different.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Give UNCW credit they think they're unbeatable right now and they're until someone beats them and they played very tough man to man defense. Even when Cooks split the D and he did that often enough they contest every shot at the basket. Yes in a more friendly environment we probably put the choke hold on. We'll find out soon enough.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sigh. This game continued to prove out everything I've said unfortunately:

- Crowd was fantastic and moreso a factor than vs Arkansas.
- Don't be fooled by the way too close wins. This team doesn't have it.
- Cramer continues his regression, and is on track to be one of the biggest letdowns vs his incredible potential in the right hands.
- HU starts like gangbusters and chokes when it matters most down the stretch. That's not what champions do.
- The W made an excellent hire, and didn't get wrapped up hiring a legacy. And they did it for half the price. Guy is a 2nd year HC and is schooling HU and the CAA. That's called admin leadership and expertise. HU doesn't have it.
- I'm sure Speedy is frustrated because this team continues to blow games and big opportunities. He should be. But he should also be angry at himself and his staff. They are also failing in some ways. I think Speedy is going through a major wake up call about what it's like to actually lead a program. THAT'S why some of us have had concerns and didn't get all googly-eyed just because he's an HU legend. He's good, but I've seen nothing from him or this staff that shows great, or anything indicating they are going to take this program to the next level. It looks very much exactly the same it has been for years.

Speedy says ALL the right things. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. But it's mostly been big talk and hot air and little to back it up. And every time he talks a big game, acting like yeah bring it on we'll be ready, his team goes down. It's getting a little embarrassing now. I like big talk, but ONLY when you win the damn games. I.E. calling SBU your little brother and then turning in an atrocious loss was awful. He's setting up for another in the W rematch - let's see if he and his team are actually any different in that game. Doubtful based on what we've seen. It'll be the same, just a different 'star' hitting shots.

I think he's a bit dumbfounded that players don't just go win when he says the word. It's hard to be a HC. He has one big win against a ranked Arkansas. That was awesome. And it's been disappointing ever since. This is a WEAK league, and HU continues to flounder it's talent, which every team in this conf would pay to have. Sounds familiar... no different than the JM years, and that's not exciting at all.

My prediction for the rematch? It will be very much the same. This team is what it is at this point, nothing more or less. They aren't going go magically change or figure anything else out in Feb. This is it. And this isn't good enough. Perhaps they'll win by the skin of their teeth. But still likely looking at a 3rd place -ish finish and sitting at home in March.

I know some aren't ready to admit it yet. That's ok. Sure, "there's still time". lol the age old Hofstra mantra! But deep down we all know what's going to happen - HU will drop the ball in the end because that's the propensity this team, and frankly this program, has shown, and everyone will be watching someone else dance talking about the woulda coulda shoulda.

IMO this group feels like a family, but not yet a team in the purist sense - can't figure out how to truly play off each others strengths, to be a well oiled machine shining at the same time. Lot of individual talent out there with each one trading racking up "career nights" while the team disappoints and falters down the stretch. That's not going to win the CAA.

Like clockwork with this program. Rinse and repeat. Same thing every year.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Sigh. This game continued to prove out everything I've said unfortunately:

- Cramer continues his regression, and is on track to be one of the biggest letdowns vs his incredible potential in the right hands.
- HU starts like gangbusters and chokes when it matters most down the stretch. That's not what champions do.
- The W made an excellent hire, and didn't get wrapped up hiring a legacy. And they did it for half the price. Guy is a 2nd year HC and is schooling HU and the CAA. That's called admin leadership and expertise. HU doesn't have it.
- I'm sure Speedy is frustrated because this team continues to blow games and big opportunities. He should be. But he should also be angry at himself and his staff. They are also failing in some ways. I think Speedy is going through a major wake up call about what it's like to actually lead a program. THAT'S why some of us have had concerns and didn't get all googly-eyed just because he's an HU legend. He's good, but I've seen nothing from him or this staff that shows great, or anything indicating they are going to take this program to the next level. It looks very much exactly the same it has been for years.

Speedy says ALL the right things. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. But it's mostly been big talk and hot air and little to back it up. And every time he talks a big game, acting like yeah bring it on we'll be ready, his team goes down. It's getting a little embarrassing now. I like big talk, but ONLY when you win the damn games. I.E. calling SBU your little brother and then turning in an atrocious loss was awful. He's setting up for another in the W rematch - let's see if he and his team are actually any different in that game. Doubtful based on what we've seen. It'll be the same, just a different 'star' hitting shots.

I think he's a bit dumbfounded that players don't just go win when he says the word. It's hard to be a HC. He has one big win against a ranked Arkansas. That was awesome. And it's been disappointing ever since. This is a WEAK league, and HU continues to flounder it's talent, which every team in this conf would pay to have. Sounds familiar... no different than the JM years, and that's not exciting at all.

My prediction for the rematch? It will be very much the same. This team is what it is at this point, nothing more or less. They aren't going go magically change or figure anything else out in Feb. This is it. And this isn't good enough. Perhaps they'll win by the skin of their teeth. But still likely looking at a 3rd place -ish finish and sitting at home in March.

I know some aren't ready to admit it yet. That's ok. Sure, "there's still time". lol the age old Hofstra mantra! But deep down we all know what's going to happen - HU will drop the ball in the end because that's the propensity this team, and frankly this program, has shown, and everyone will be watching someone else dance talking about the woulda coulda shoulda.

IMO this group feels like a family, but not yet a team in the purist sense - can't figure out how to truly play off each others strengths, to be a well oiled machine shining at the same time. Lot of individual talent out there with each one trading racking up "career nights" while the team disappoints and falters down the stretch. That's not going to win the CAA.

A lot of fair points, however, I'm gonna stick a pin in this post in case you end up hopping back on the Hofstra bandwagon in March (btw, we missed you around here during the four-game winning streak that preceded this loss). ;)
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito, why is the sky always falling with you? Doom and gloom…the team sucks, coach isn’t that good, program sucks, school sucks and on and on.

You graduated from here…support the damned program. Speedy is a first year coach for god sakes…give him a break…he assembled a pretty damned good team in the time he had…

We were picked 5th in the League, we are now third and I dare say we end up second…yes that my prediction…not bad for a first year coach and a team with NINE new players

Enjoy the ride young man…it makes it much sweeter when you finally get to where you want to be!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Of course they are fair points Wags, I'm right, as much as it pains some around here to admit that lol - not my first rodeo as you know ;)

Haha absolutely you should! Hold me to the fire, I know I make some big comments, so only fair I have to answer to them! Just make sure you give the credit where it's due when I'm (very often) correct. 8-)

I'm not "off the bandwagon", or jumping back on, I bleed HU, but I am VERY tired of HU's nonsense over the years. I'm over it, and like I said, not falling for it anymore. The win streak was overdue for a team that easily has some of the best talent in the entire friggin league - and 3 were WAY too close. I'm not impressed, at all - if anything what I've seen is concerning for a team that supposedly thinks it can be a champion.

So I wasn't gone during the win streak, I saw it, but I'm not fooled by it. I'm watching from a distance because this team isn't dancing in it's current state, and I couldn't care less about being 'close' another year. It's NCAAT or bust. That's it - the rest is fluff.

Can they still do that? Sure, of course they can. Technically. Is it likely they win 3 in 3 from what this team has shown? You know the answer.

I know it seems I'm more on top of the L's, but to be fair, I did post BEFORE this game, which they could have and should have won. So it wasn't just after the L. And I noted how impressive Estrada has been, as well as Dubar, and the bigs. So I'm not all bad :D But I'll do better after wins too, duly noted. And I will GLADLY eat crow if they somehow manage to overcome themselves and cut nets!!! GLADLY! <-- Save that one.

Look, it's literally the same crap different year. They need to figure this out, it isn't as hard as HU makes it out to be. And so far, Speedy has been par for the course, not above it. That's not enough. No matter how great a story, it isn't enough. He and this staff need to be better than this going forward.

No program in the CAA has squandered more top end conf talent year over year than HU. I love this school and program, and you all know that, but I'm also sick and tired of the BS - I care about NCAAT's, and I'd really like to see this school do the same. I don't give a rats rear how many CPOY HU has or how many people gush over the Speedy hire when they blow it in the CAAT and we're watching some other program rep the CAA.

Winning this extremely weak conf once every umpteen years is a failure. And really shouldn't be acceptable. Way too much backscratching going on from everyone, the school, the program, the fans on here... let's see some demands and expectations for actual success that matches where the program SHOULD be. A proper staff should win this soft league every couple/few years. NU does it. And the W has too. This program needs to level up.

Period.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Of course they are fair points Wags, I'm right, as much as it pains some around here to admit that lol - not my first rodeo as you know ;)

Haha absolutely you should! Hold me to the fire, I know I make some big comments, so only fair I have to answer to them! Just make sure you give the credit where it's due when I'm (very often) correct. 8-)
Am I wrong or were you part of the "no way they can possibly ever, ever, ever win the CAA title without a bench" crowd around here when I kept saying very much to the contrary two years ago, and they... well, won the CAA title with basically no bench at all.

I'm just messin' ;) I get the frustration. I don't think the program or the fanbase sits back and accepts not making the NCAAT. But it's a competitive league, it's really not as easy as you're making it out to be to win it. Look at W&M. They've been in the CAA since 1985-86, have had their close calls some years, and they still haven't won the CAA tourney yet.

If we talk about where we came from, Stony Brook failed four times in five years in the AE title game before they finally broke through only once in the five years that followed (through last year) and now they are joining us next year. Conference championships are always the goal for every program but they're not simple.

Should Hofstra have won it more than just once? Definitely. Absolutely in 2016, probably in 2019. Got extremely close in 2016 and very close in 2019. Those two years, sure, it's on them that they didn't finish the job, but unlike in many other years, it was a fine line between accomplishing that and not in those two years. Should have made the NCAAT as an at-large in 2006 (not their fault they didn't). And they did do it in 2020, but didn't get the reward they deserved (again, not their fault).

I hear ya, end results are all that matter. And one CAA tourney title is one CAA tourney title. Close doesn't count. But I think it's a very fine line on how we view the program. Had they got the at-large they deserved and had they actually played in the NCAAT in 2020, I think we'd view the time in the CAA a little differently. Even more so had they finished the job in 2016 when they were a whisker away. And even more than that had they finished off that last game in 2019 in the finals.
Polito wrote: A proper staff should win this soft league every couple/few years. NU does it.
NU has only done it twice -- only once more than HU -- in 16 years. If that's one of the bars, then HU isn't that far off.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Polito, why is the sky always falling with you? Doom and gloom…the team sucks, coach isn’t that good, program sucks, school sucks and on and on.

You graduated from here…support the damned program. Speedy is a first year coach for god sakes…give him a break…he assembled a pretty damned good team in the time he had…

We were picked 5th in the League, we are now third and I dare say we end up second…yes that my prediction…not bad for a first year coach and a team with NINE new players

Enjoy the ride young man…it makes it much sweeter when you finally get to where you want to be!
You know I'm more apt to align myself with this way of thinking not so much based on fact but just based on being positive. It just bothers me to be so pessimistic although there are plenty of reasons to be. I don't like these prognostications of doom put in my face so will consistently be a believer rather then a non believer. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that but c'mon give this program a vote of confidence and lets either win together or go down together but either way fighting to the finish. This is a team that's far better then last years team and if just if we make the NCAA tourney I bet we won't get blown out like so many other teams that have represented this conference in the past. Maybe even win how about that?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Polito wrote:Sigh. This game continued to prove out everything I've said unfortunately:

I do agree with some of your points here but Speedy has changed some things which a lot of us were calling for. He has used a deeper bench, seemsm to be a renewed focus on defense (while not necessarily always showing up in the stats) are two quick examples. Also he has basically been our best recruiter even as an assistant. He is going to make mistakes in his first year but let's see how year 1 shakes out first. We are still very much in the running for the conference championship.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

This is a talented team but not necessarily the best in the CAA - but definitely in the mix. If things break right they can win the CAA tourney. They have some excellent offensive talent however at times they just don't play together - too much "hero" ball. Too many undisciplined shots by Ray, Cooks and Silverio. They can't win that way - will take more of a team effort. Losing to a very hot UNCW team in a packed house, honoring one of their coaches and teams is not a bad loss - just disappointing considering the big early lead. However that's not the first time we've jumped out on teams - only to tire down the stretch - possibly being worn down by more physical opponents - UNCW has some "grownups" we just don't have.
Overall Speedy has done a decent + job as a first year coach. Disappointed (as I'm sure we all are) losing games down stretch we could have won - hopefully that turns around at home. Not thrilled with the use of Cramer - however he is coming back from an injury. Hope he gets some run.
Of course most of you know I'm a big Michigan State fan. They're driving Izzo crazy (not that he isn't a little anyway) with their mercurial performances. Horrible games against Northwestern and Illinois (without 2 of their best players) and blowout W's at Wisconsin and Michigan on Sat. That's the nature of the sport (and others) especially when it's manned by "kids" 18-22. You have to hope there are more positive outings than negative - that injuries don't cripple your team (and hits the opposition) and the ball bounces your way in the tossup games then you have a successful season.
Cards

Post by Cards »

ZMAN3 wrote: Of course most of you know I'm a big Michigan State fan. They're driving Izzo crazy (not that he isn't a little anyway) with their mercurial performances. Horrible games against Northwestern and Illinois (without 2 of their best players) and blowout W's at Wisconsin and Michigan on Sat. That's the nature of the sport (and others) especially when it's manned by "kids" 18-22. You have to hope there are more positive outings than negative - that injuries don't cripple your team (and hits the opposition) and the ball bounces your way in the tossup games then you have a successful season.
I hear ya Zman. I'm a big Villanova fan. They lost at home to Marquette a few games back, Marquette had never beaten them at home! Earlier this season the lost by 20 to Baylor and only scored 36 pts total. Your point is well taken......when you're working with 18-22 year olds, even if you are arguably the best college coach in the country (Jay Wright), you can't always get the "kids" to perform the way you want!

BTW, I was at a "V" game (on campus) last week. Amazing how a school that really only pushes one sport can do it so well. I've heard that the MBB team carries the expense of the entire athletic program (including the football team, which plays in the CAA). If it wasn't for MBB, the rest of the schools teams could be considered mid-majors.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:This is a talented team but not necessarily the best in the CAA - but definitely in the mix. If things break right they can win the CAA tourney. They have some excellent offensive talent however at times they just don't play together - too much "hero" ball. Too many undisciplined shots by Ray, Cooks and Silverio. They can't win that way - will take more of a team effort. Losing to a very hot UNCW team in a packed house, honoring one of their coaches and teams is not a bad loss - just disappointing considering the big early lead. However that's not the first time we've jumped out on teams - only to tire down the stretch - possibly being worn down by more physical opponents - UNCW has some "grownups" we just don't have.
Overall Speedy has done a decent + job as a first year coach. Disappointed (as I'm sure we all are) losing games down stretch we could have won - hopefully that turns around at home. Not thrilled with the use of Cramer - however he is coming back from an injury. Hope he gets some run.
Of course most of you know I'm a big Michigan State fan. They're driving Izzo crazy (not that he isn't a little anyway) with their mercurial performances. Horrible games against Northwestern and Illinois (without 2 of their best players) and blowout W's at Wisconsin and Michigan on Sat. That's the nature of the sport (and others) especially when it's manned by "kids" 18-22. You have to hope there are more positive outings than negative - that injuries don't cripple your team (and hits the opposition) and the ball bounces your way in the tossup games then you have a successful season.
This is all spot on about this year's HU team and about the sport in general.

Although, I'll add, we tend to look more closely at letting the close ones get away than we give HU credit for being able to close out close wins down the stretch this year -- there have been several of those (Delaware, Drexel, at Monmouth, at JMU, at Charleston). The four teams that are at the top now (UNCW, Towson, Delaware, Hofstra) are the four I expect to be there in the semis in D.C. If that happens and Hofstra wins in that round (yes, two big IFs), they're playing for a title again, for the fourth time in seven years with one title already won in that stretch. That's still a very realistic opportunity for this team right now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote: Of course most of you know I'm a big Michigan State fan. They're driving Izzo crazy (not that he isn't a little anyway) with their mercurial performances. Horrible games against Northwestern and Illinois (without 2 of their best players) and blowout W's at Wisconsin and Michigan on Sat. That's the nature of the sport (and others) especially when it's manned by "kids" 18-22. You have to hope there are more positive outings than negative - that injuries don't cripple your team (and hits the opposition) and the ball bounces your way in the tossup games then you have a successful season.
I hear ya Zman. I'm a big Villanova fan. They lost at home to Marquette a few games back, Marquette had never beaten them at home! Earlier this season the lost by 20 to Baylor and only scored 36 pts total.
And even at Baylor's level, same thing - I watched that game on TV. They were locking down so much, they were even blocking Nova's 3-point attempts. They looked just about as good as last year's national title team. But what happened several games later? Baylor lost consecutive games at home that very few thought they would, to Texas Tech (after having a comfortable early lead) and to Oklahoma State, four days later. That's just sports. It happens, even among the best. The thing is consistency, as much as possible, over the long haul. Hofstra had that this year with a 12-3 stretch after starting 1-4 (if you want to discount Molloy and John Jay, totally understandable, but even 10-3 is fairly consistent, at least in terms of finding ways to win, albeit with other inconsistencies game to game or within games). Ten games left before D.C. after the UNCW loss - let's see how consistent they can be now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

All starts with a win over Towson on Thursday who appear to be as good as anyone in this league. We are healthy and at full strength for the most part and playing at home where we haven't lost-yet!