2021-22 Men's Mid Major Poll

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: 2021-22 Men's Mid Major Poll

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Who votes in this poll?
VOTING PANEL: Casey Alexander (Belmont), Kevin Baggett (Rider), Mike Balado (Arkansas State), Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Kenny Blakeney (Howard), Jon Coffman (Purdue-Fort Wayne), Jason Crafton (UMES), Jim Engles (Columbia), John Gallagher (Hartford), Joe Gallo (Merrimack), Greg Gary (Mercer), Derrin Hansen (Omaha), Jason Hooten (Sam Houston State), Donte' Jackson (Grambling), James Jones (Yale), Robert Jones (Norfolk State), Greg Kampe (Oakland), Brian Katz (Sacramento State), Tod Kowalczyk (Toledo), Shantay Legans (Portland), Jim Les (UC Davis), Bob Marlin (Louisiana), Steve Lutz (Texas A&M Corpus Christi), Ritchie McKay (Liberty), Rob O'Driscoll (Drexel), Mark Prosser (Winthrop), Brett Reed (Lehigh), Josh Schertz (Indiana State), Mike Schrage (Elon), Rob Senderoff (Kent State), Todd Simon (Southern Utah)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So how many of these voters know anything about the CAA this year? I see the names of two coaches from our conference.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:So how many of these voters know anything about the CAA this year? I see the names of two coaches from our conference.
John IDK what the voting process is and how it works but barring another bad loss we should be getting votes considering the schools that are in the top 25 and the fact that we have beaten some of these schools. We lost to W&M when they had only one win and it was against a D3 school. That loss I believe buried us.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: So how many of these voters know anything about the CAA this year? I see the names of two coaches from our conference.
Rob O'Driscoll is incorrectly called Drexel's coach. He's their chief of staff. There are 31 coaches/staff from 232 eligible teams, which is 13.4 percent, so the CAA having two of ten is about 50 percent higher than their share. I think most eligible teams could ask the same question. You can't expect voters to know a lot about all 232 eligible teams, or even 100 of them.

We'll see if Number 17 JMU stays in after blowing a 13 point lead with 9:55 left and losing 71-70 hosting UNCW on Jaylen Sims' three at the buzzer while double-teamed. JMU led from 18:19 left until the buzzer. Towson could enter if they win hosting UNCW in a battle for first.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

If Cooks and Ray are both able to play? Why not go smaller and let them get on the court, and get Silverio off the court at all times. The team is so much better without him on the court.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Hofstra wrote:If Cooks and Ray are both able to play? Why not go smaller and let them get on the court, and get Silverio off the court at all times. The team is so much better without him on the court.
Couldn't disagree more. Another solid 1st half for him today. Kid gets a bad rap IMO.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Good win. Hope they can continue this. Great to have Cooks back. He was stellar today.

I dont understand why Ray is coming off the bench?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

CTDutch wrote:
Hofstra wrote:If Cooks and Ray are both able to play? Why not go smaller and let them get on the court, and get Silverio off the court at all times. The team is so much better without him on the court.
Couldn't disagree more. Another solid 1st half for him today. Kid gets a bad rap IMO.
Sorry I have to agree with CT here he has been a major contributor. Even when he's not scoring he has rebounded and played solid in your face D.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:
CTDutch wrote:
Sorry I have to agree with CT here he has been a major contributor. Even when he's not scoring he has rebounded and played solid in your face D.
You guys forget all the games we lost due to his incompetence? Maryland? William and Mary? He has been horrific with his in game decision making. Today was a blowout, he had a good game. He doesnt show up when we need him though
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Nobody is forgetting any of that and those losses hurt but honestly have to say that without him contributing we would have lost more then those two games. Also the game against Maryland should have gone to O/T and there would have been no guarantee we would have won that game.? He did blow the W&M game for sure. Just saying Hofstra give him some credit here he’s more a part of the solution then the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

triplec2195 wrote:Nobody is forgetting any of that and those losses hurt but honestly have to say that without him contributing we would have lost more then those two games. Also the game against Maryland should have gone to O/T and there would have been no guarantee we would have won that game.? He did blow the W&M game for sure. Just saying Hofstra give him some credit here he’s more a part of the solution then the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cant. I think he kid is a detriment. My opinion doesnt matter thankfully, but I just dont have any faith in him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We're 98th in the NET, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 49th in the NET, and 9th among eligible teams. We're 114th in the Sagarin, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 111th in KenPom, and 25th among eligible teams. Those are four rankings that unanimously think we should be ranked in the next poll, but we won't be.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:We're 98th in the NET, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 49th in the NET, and 9th among eligible teams. We're 114th in the Sagarin, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 111th in KenPom, and 25th among eligible teams. Those are four rankings that unanimously think we should be ranked in the next poll, but we won't be.
Why won't we be??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: We're 98th in the NET, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 49th in the NET, and 9th among eligible teams. We're 114th in the Sagarin, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 111th in KenPom, and 25th among eligible teams. Those are four rankings that unanimously think we should be ranked in the next poll, but we won't be.
Why won't we be??
We didn't get any votes, and beating Drexel and Northeastern won't be enough to go from no votes to ranked.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Omar has size neither Ray (I'm pretty sure he's not 6'2" as listed) nor Cooks do, so he can defend bigger players. I remember Carlos Rivera would post up smaller guards. Omar has a similar frame, but he never really developed that skill. Omar can get hot, and then we need to ride him. When he doesn't have it, Speedy needs to put the throttle on.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: We're 98th in the NET, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 49th in the NET, and 9th among eligible teams. We're 114th in the Sagarin, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 111th in KenPom, and 25th among eligible teams. Those are four rankings that unanimously think we should be ranked in the next poll, but we won't be.
Why won't we be??
We didn't get any votes, and beating Drexel and Northeastern won't be enough to go from no votes to ranked.
We may not be ranked in the top 25 but at some point we should receive some votes.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:Omar has size neither Ray (I'm pretty sure he's not 6'2" as listed) nor Cooks do, so he can defend bigger players. I remember Carlos Rivera would post up smaller guards. Omar has a similar frame, but he never really developed that skill. Omar can get hot, and then we need to ride him. When he doesn't have it, Speedy needs to put the throttle on.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Speedy has him throttled and Omar is being a bit more prudent with his shot selection. I like his ability to get out on a fast break pull up or drive to the hoop. He had a nice basket challenging Painter in the Delaware game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

[quote="triplec2195"][quote="EvanJ"][quote="triplec2195"]
[quote="EvanJ"]
We're 98th in the NET, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 49th in the NET, and 9th among eligible teams. We're 114th in the Sagarin, and 23rd among eligible teams. We're 111th in KenPom, and 25th among eligible teams. Those are four rankings that unanimously think we should be ranked in the next poll, but we won't be.
Why won't we be??

We didn't get any votes, and beating Drexel and Northeastern won't be enough to go from no votes to ranked.[/quote]

We may not be ranked in the top 25 but at some point we should receive some votes.[/quote][/quote]

So the new mid major poll came out this past Monday 1/24 and quite a few CAA schools are receiving votes now; Towson 28, JMU 22, UNCW 6, Delaware 4, Stony Brook 3(imagine that) and we finally mustered 1 vote. We need to keep winning!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Does this poll even mean anything? I have never heard it mentioned on any broadcast that I have watched (and not just this year) and its not like its used in determining an at large bid.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It doesn't mean anything, and CAA teams do worse in the Mid-Major Poll than in other rankings of every team. Among eligible teams, Towson is in the top 25 in NET, RPI, Sagarin, and KenPom, and we're in the top 25 of three of those and 26th in KenPom.