Delaware @ MBB, Saturday, 1/15/22, 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Delaware @ MBB, Saturday, 1/15/22, 2 PM

Post by triplec2195 »

Just totally objective comments as to what I saw in this game. I won't rehash the games that both Ray and Estrada had that speaks for itself. Our D on the perimeter suffered when we tried to help with Painter and there other big but we got steals down there and were able to convert some of them into points. I didn't like at all what I saw from Simmons. OK we'll give him a pass his first substantial minutes all season. He took bad very obvious fouls in this game and his one shot in the post other then the layup was an air ball. Maybe plenty of rust to shake off but just giving Iyiola a blow important with Cramer out. Injury or sickness?? Who knows? Iyiola had his hands full in this game but I thought was playing with intensity as always. Again not a bash but Carlos just continues to be underwhelming. He took the last shot before the half and it was a clunker three at the top of the key. Some people here just refuse to give credit where credit is due. Just like in a lot of games this year without Omar contributing offense we lose a lot of games like this game yesterday. We're extremely lucky that he can score with Cooks being out for so long now. I just think we hold him to a higher level which isn't fair and being at that game yesterday you can appreciate the D and effort this kid brings. He might shoot 0 for whatever but his D can be a huge plus. Ray Allen was hurting us with Three's of the bench yesterday but in the second half Omar was playing him very tough making him shoot very uncomfortable shots. He had 9 points in the half but didn't hit another three the rest of the game. I would love to see what our record would look like if we didn't have Omar scoring. Just thought I had to stick up for him here when I see some of the disparaging comments made about his game especially when he's playing well. I'll be the first to trash him when he's bricking it but at least give him some credit when he's contributing.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Just totally objective comments as to what I saw in this game. I won't rehash the games that both Ray and Estrada had that speaks for itself. Our D on the perimeter suffered when we tried to help with Painter and there other big but we got steals down there and were able to convert some of them into points. I didn't like at all what I saw from Simmons. OK we'll give him a pass his first substantial minutes all season. He took bad very obvious fouls in this game and his one shot in the post other then the layup was an air ball. Maybe plenty of rust to shake off but just giving Iyiola a blow important with Cramer out. Injury or sickness?? Who knows? Iyiola had his hands full in this game but I thought was playing with intensity as always. Again not a bash but Carlos just continues to be underwhelming. He took the last shot before the half and it was a clunker three at the top of the key. Some people here just refuse to give credit where credit is due. Just like in a lot of games this year without Omar contributing offense we lose a lot of games like this game yesterday. We're extremely lucky that he can score with Cooks being out for so long now. I just think we hold him to a higher level which isn't fair and being at that game yesterday you can appreciate the D and effort this kid brings. He might shoot 0 for whatever but his D can be a huge plus. Ray Allen was hurting us with Three's of the bench yesterday but in the second half Omar was playing him very tough making him shoot very uncomfortable shots. He had 9 points in the half but didn't hit another three the rest of the game. I would love to see what our record would look like if we didn't have Omar scoring. Just thought I had to stick up for him here when I see some of the disparaging comments made about his game especially when he's playing well. I'll be the first to trash him when he's bricking it but at least give him some credit when he's contributing.
You are correct about Omar playing D. He has played with intensity and I give him credit for that. It has been a plus for him this season.

My beef, like others, has been his shot selection. Perfect example was yesterday - The threes he hit were open looks where he had time to square up and shoot right from the 3 pt line. He hits a good percentage of those. The ones that burn me up, are the rushed shots when he's not squared up, or the ones where he takes a 30 footer when there is no reason for him to not move in 5 feet to shoot from the 3 pt line (back in the day, he'd be labeled a "chucker"). He has gotten better, but he still chucks up too many!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yes Cards he still takes some bad shots but some of those shots are when the shot clock is winding down which I think happened yesterday. How many players on this team get fouled while making a 3 point shot and still hit the shot. Omar has done that a few times this year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Omar is the type of player who is either on or off, feast or famine. We've all seen players like him before. Can be very frustrating to watch.

He does play hard on defense, and hustles up and down the court. Right now, until Cooks comes back, he is our best option over Burgess and Carlos.

BTW, I think I saw our new Phiily recuit, Khalil Farmer, at the game. Was wearing a red jacket. Not sure, though.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BTW I'm repeating myself but if Estrada continues to play at the level he's playing at he will be in the discussion for the POY and best new player of the year. Lets keep it going Estrada.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Just catching up on this thread. I was at the game Saturday and just wanted to mention I focused on watching Carlos when he was in the game. He played some minutes in the first half; I think primarily when Silverio was in some foul trouble if I remember. He looked very active moving without the ball on offense and trying to guard the open man on defense. I did notice him looking over to the bench area to confirm his defensive assignment a few times which was ok in the 1st half because he did it in transition as he moved over to the side of the court for the Hofstra bench. When him and Burgess were in together he didn't play the point. Overall he needs time to get up to speed to the college game but I saw a player that was trying his best and showed promise.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Just catching up on this thread. I was at the game Saturday and just wanted to mention I focused on watching Carlos when he was in the game. He played some minutes in the first half; I think primarily when Silverio was in some foul trouble if I remember. He looked very active moving without the ball on offense and trying to guard the open man on defense. I did notice him looking over to the bench area to confirm his defensive assignment a few times which was ok in the 1st half because he did it in transition as he moved over to the side of the court for the Hofstra bench. When him and Burgess were in together he didn't play the point. Overall he needs time to get up to speed to the college game but I saw a player that was trying his best and showed promise.
No question that Carlos has a good work ethic but we're hoping to see signs of his O game that he has yet to show so far on the college level.