MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by daHUPride »

ProudofPride wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:So what did Coach say about the new players?
He's very excited about all 4, plus Ibrahim Djambo. He said Hunter Sabety literally dunks every time he gets the ball and is near the hoop, whether someone passes to him or he grabs a rebound, like previously stated in this thread, and that he'll benefit a lot from practicing with the 5 players who will be seniors next year. Denton Koon has a very high basketball IQ, and JAM basically said his character is like Dion Nesmith's. He mentioned that Desure Buie is very slim, but emphasized that he's a pure point guard, and how quickly he can run up and down the floor. JWF will add some scoring.

He also said that Juan'ya Green will most likely be picked as the preseason player of the year, and wouldn't be surprised to see us picked first. Another thing he emphasized is that we'll get to see a full strength Rokas Gustys this season. He was never back to normal after his injury, but he's all set now and should be even better than he was last season.
any mention of Walker?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Did he mention either Gonzalez or Walker at all????
Polito

Post by Polito »

If Sabety is on academic, that would be super and much more acceptable - def risk going this route, but who knows, maybe he's a true rare case - def got great and much needed size - if this staff turns him into an impact player, they will earn serious evaluation kudos 8-)

having the extra scholly is huge, vital to use properly - needs to be an immediate impact player from the minute he steps on the court - in this case would like to have a guy that will come in and sit a year to get situated - will ease the transition of losing so many key guys - the need is clear: a 6'5-6'7 wing that can wreak absolute havoc

SO pumped to see Gustys this year - has 1st team potential all over him

If Koon is healthy, he's a great pickup that addresses the major need this year - having 4 quality big men each capable of playing significant time is HUGE and a first for this program - still, IMO there was also a need for another consistent scoring guard who can play effective D - I'm disappointed that was missed - relying on the current guards is a risk IMO based on what was seen last yr, but if that's the route the team has to take now then there needs to be some big improvements in Green (attitude adjustment), Tanksley (consistency), and Bernardi (creating shots and playing D)

I believe Buie and Foreman can be great, but I doubt they'll see the floor much with all the upper classmen next yr - looking for them to be difference makers yr 2

As for transfers out, it's REALLY late in the game for that, unless something has been planned and under wraps for a long time - I personally don't think anyone's going anywhere - but if I had to pick someone, I would guess Eliel

No interest in any preseason hype - team did not handle any of it well last year - finished *5th* in a very average CAA, played horribly at home, played a cake schedule and did not beat anyone of any real quality, AND blew an easy home game in an easy post-season tourney - yeah...a LOT to prove this year IMO before any '#1 team' or '#1 player' stuff

Do we have ANY insight on the upcoming visitors???
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hope either Koon or Sabety are on academic scholarship and no is leaving the program to open up a scholarship opportunity...while we do not know much about him I would like to see Gonzales stay and provide backcourt depth at the PG position for the next 3 years... he has already been with program for 2 years....like to see a little continuity here...if anyone interacts with JAM find out if someone is leaving program
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Another reason why it's important that Eliel stays is because he's the player that Speedy works the closest with. (this information came from an interview with the Chronicle: http://thehofstrachronicle.com/pride-pr ... pares-caa/) It's important that Soeedy can develop players if he wants to eventually move up the coaching ranks, and Eliel is his first opportunity, so hopefully we'll see a lot of improvement in him over the next few years,
garyg

Post by garyg »

Thanks for sharing the HC article POP...I had never seen that particular article...Boy...based on that article the team did not come close to fulfilling Speedy's expectations last season....this season all returnees are really going to have to raise their level of play for Hofstra to be a potential NCAA tournament team....
garyg

Post by garyg »

Workin on JAM to find out where last scholarship is coming from...is someone on academic scholarship or is someone leavin us?? Stay tuned
Cards

Post by Cards »

I had no idea that Gustys injury hampered him all season. He simply appeared to be getting better as the season went on.....I attributed that to him getting more game expereince. In the end, maybe it was his both his health and PT. In any case, to hear he was never 100% makes me more ramped up about his contributions this year. I'm looking for big things from our front line (Gustys, Djambo, Koon, Walker) this year. there should be no need to rely on the gaurds/wings to provide all the scoring.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Cards wrote:I had no idea that Gustys injury hampered him all season. He simply appeared to be getting better as the season went on.....I attributed that to him getting more game expereince. In the end, maybe it was his both his health and PT. In any case, to hear he was never 100% makes me more ramped up about his contributions this year. I'm looking for big things from our front line (Gustys, Djambo, Koon, Walker) this year. there should be no need to rely on the gaurds/wings to provide all the scoring.
Koon is the only one in the group who has scoring potential. Easy on the cool-aid guys
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Cards

Post by Cards »

have to diagree bobe13. Gustys averaged 5+ ppg last year with miimal minutes played. Had 4 games with over 10 pts. With more PT, good health, and another year expereince, I see him exceeding double digits most games. his points will obviously not come on all shots that he creates, but he will pick up some of the scoring load.

Agree that koons can score.

I think Djambo can be a real offensive weapon - hopefully to the suprise of our competition. Forget the numbers at Clemson. If it was a good situation for him he would have stayed. Take a look at the attached video. It's just a guy shooting around in a gym, but its extremely obvious that this guy has feel and touch shooting the ball. I'm hoping that most minutes he gets will be with either Gustys or Walker on the floor.....so he won't be played by other top level bigs. At 6'10" I don't see other CAA teams being able to match up well against him. I think those short jumpers and inside moves will work very well against our typical competition (undersized guys trying to play him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdiMsf9_ics

I don't expect much from Walker offensively, but anything he contributes will help.

Of course all of the above depends on how JAM uses these guys. With two of any of these guys on the floor at the same time, Tanksley (or nichols) at the small forward, and then the guards, I think in the CAA we will be a matchup nightmare. Maybe JAM will play them differently, but I see much offensive potential.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully staff has worked hard at developing Djambo and Walker since they have been on campus....same said in regards to Gustys...I can see Gustys averaging 10 or 11 points per game as a sophmore...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Coach could not comment at this time on how last scholarship became available which leads me to believe someone is leaving. If someone was at Hofstra on academic aid he would be able to comment
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

I really really hope it's not walker...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I have a gut feeling that it is Walker. We just signed two players that are 6ft8. You dont do that if a guard was leaving. You would be going after another point guard.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

bobe13 wrote:My guess is either Walker or Gonzales is leaving or has already left.
I wouldn't be shocked if it were Robinson
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Cards wrote:have to diagree bobe13. Gustys averaged 5+ ppg last year with miimal minutes played. Had 4 games with over 10 pts. With more PT, good health, and another year expereince, I see him exceeding double digits most games. his points will obviously not come on all shots that he creates, but he will pick up some of the scoring load.

Agree that koons can score.

I think Djambo can be a real offensive weapon - hopefully to the suprise of our competition. Forget the numbers at Clemson. If it was a good situation for him he would have stayed. Take a look at the attached video. It's just a guy shooting around in a gym, but its extremely obvious that this guy has feel and touch shooting the ball. I'm hoping that most minutes he gets will be with either Gustys or Walker on the floor.....so he won't be played by other top level bigs. At 6'10" I don't see other CAA teams being able to match up well against him. I think those short jumpers and inside moves will work very well against our typical competition (undersized guys trying to play him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdiMsf9_ics

I don't expect much from Walker offensively, but anything he contributes will help.

Of course all of the above depends on how JAM uses these guys. With two of any of these guys on the floor at the same time, Tanksley (or nichols) at the small forward, and then the guards, I think in the CAA we will be a matchup nightmare. Maybe JAM will play them differently, but I see much offensive potential.
I really understand he was just starting his workout but I would have hoped for a little more intensity as he was warming up. He made about 50% of his ten ft. jumpers and about the same on inside bank shots. I am probably being too critical but would love to be proven wrong.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Team def left a lot of goals on the table last season, left a lot to be desired at the end considering the expectations - it was a positive 2nd yr for this regime, but on paper the production should've been much better - alas, that's why they play the games - and that's why I'm a little concerned with simply relying on the same guards again - if they work on things and show improvement, then yes, this team can be GREAT - but if we see the same weaknesses as last year, well, they already proved that's not enough to win... REALLY wanted to see another guy for this yr - but it's Green/Tanksley/Bernardi or bust! Hope they are working their butts off!!

I do agree the guards won't need to do as much with a much deeper post presence, and that should really help

Do not agree at all that Koon is the only post player with scoring potential - Gustys absolutely has scoring ability down low, and can be a BEAST - IMO if he develops properly he can be a 1st team all-conf player by the time it's all said and done

I like Walker, I hope he stays - I see a LOT of potential in him - may not be a double-digit scorer, but he's very athletic for his size and if used properly he can be very valuable

Hard to assess Djambo, and you really can't judge a transfer like him just by his previous numbers - lot of times that doesn't mean much under a different situation - he moves well, obviously great height, has to have ability as he was a JUCO stud and landed at an ACC program - maybe he turns out not to be much, but he may surprise - this staff has proven so far they can take a mediocre transfer and turn him into an impact player, so let's see what they can do with him - and he's been in the system for a year now, he should be very comfortable
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito don't forget the 2 freshman guards coming in. although probably used sparingly in the beginning may get more playing time depending on how they perform.