2015-2016 basketball roster

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

2015-2016 basketball roster

Post by Captain »

Last year at the conclusion of the season Chris Jenkins and Jordan Allen left the program. We have a Juco wing visiting this weekend and supposedly have interest in a Quinnapiac transferring pg. With 2 guards already committed to next years class, does anyone think/know if any current players may be exploring other options?
I think the next month will be interesting. I don't think mentioning current roster names is cool since these are kids futures that we are discussing but there could be a crowd at guard and forward next season.
HUSID80

Re: 2015-2016 basketball roster

Post by HUSID80 »

Go to verbal commits.com and you can see the full list of kids we are recruiting and have offered scholarships to.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

darren payen left too
Captain

Post by Captain »

HUSID80 wrote:Go to verbal commits.com and you can see the full list of kids we are recruiting and have offered scholarships to.
I know this website very well. I'm just saying that with 2 new guards already committed and a wing visiting this weekend, a well-stocked backcourt starts to look over -crowded. I think somebody may be leaving.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

have not heard anything yet...our system requires at least three guards on the floor at all times, so there is always a need for good scoring guards...However, I would like to see us land an athletic wing 6-6 or so and another athletic big to fill out this class...If anyone leaves it would probably be Gonzalez who got virtually no run last year and frankly did not show very much in games but I understand from a few people that he looks great in practice...who knows!!!! Lot's of transfers in play and we have a great track record of getting good quality kids in here for a year or so.
Polito

Post by Polito »

No need to settle, the amount of talented players available from new transfers every day and the JUCO ranks is super high right now - let's land some impact players

all for another guard if it's a bigger SG/W/SF type guys like HUSID stated - and landing an impact Big is a MUST in this class
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Any chance we can find someone 6'7" or bigger who can shoot facing the basket ? (like every other program in America) Would certainly open up the offense!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra is looking at an Israeli basketball player named Selvin Dove. His father Zaynid Dove moved to Israel about 15 years ago. Selvin is 6ft 8 and 220 lbs with a good handle and has a nice inside outside game. His game is compared to Quincy Ford of Northeastern. BTW- his grandfather is former St johns great Sonny Dove.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Hofstra is looking at an Israeli basketball player named Selvin Dove. His father Zaynid Dove moved to Israel about 15 years ago. Selvin is 6ft 8 and 220 lbs with a good handle and has a nice inside outside game. His game is compared to Quincy Ford of Northeastern. BTW- his grandfather is former St johns great Sonny Dove.
Pretty cool Stu...where did you hear this???? I actually remember Sonny Dove...shows how old I am...pretty good player!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Hofstra is looking at an Israeli basketball player named Selvin Dove. His father Zaynid Dove moved to Israel about 15 years ago. Selvin is 6ft 8 and 220 lbs with a good handle and has a nice inside outside game. His game is compared to Quincy Ford of Northeastern. BTW- his grandfather is former St johns great Sonny Dove.
OK Stu is this your April Fools Day joke for this year? Could not find anything on this guy! If so you got me!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

BINGO! Had to do my research to make it believable. I get some one every year. Actually last year I said that Jenkins would transfer to be closer to home. Little did we realize that a few weeks later it came true.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:BINGO! Had to do my research to make it believable. I get some one every year. Actually last year I said that Jenkins would transfer to be closer to home. Little did we realize that a few weeks later it came true.
Maybe this guy will materialize as well!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Between Nesmith & Kone we lose almost 20 points per game...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Will miss Nesmith, but not Kone.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Buie makes the Daily News All-NYC first team and JWF makes the second team:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high- ... -1.2217457
Cards

Post by Cards »

With comment by garyg (2015 recruits) indicating any additions to this years roster will have to sit (per transfer rules), it looks like our playing roster is now set. I'm optomistic and believe the team will be better than last year.

Loss of Kone up front will not be felt at all. I think our up front lineup will far exceed any we have had in recent history. i think Gustys will really be a force this year and anything Walker contributes will be gravy. I expect Djambo to have a very strong impact. Good size and solid shooting ability - including out to and beyond teh 15 foot range. Addition of Koon can only make us even better. Experienced player with size and scoring ability (as long as healthy). We certainly will be as good or better than most in the CAA.

Loss of Nesmith will be felt. Good leader, scorer, and defense. I would hope that green and bernardi bring thier games up a notch this year (green played well but there is room for improvement), especailly after having played together for a year (especially on defense). Got to hope that Buie and JWF both hit the ground running. thier play will be very important coming off the bench. If buie can handle the ball and dish (within JAMs system) then we wont really have to expect much scoring from him. If he scores and we get anything this year from JWF, its icing on the cake. Don't know what to expect from Gonzalez.

We know what to expect in the small forward area. Expect tanksley to be about the same. Hoping Robinson has a bounce back season (not that he played poorly, just didnt contribute alot). Looking for less fouls, more playing under control, and continued good defense from Nichols.

As a team, we must shoot a higher free throw percentage. Both Tanksley, Nichols, and Gustys must work on FT shooting. I expect the freshman gaurds to be no problem in this area.

On balance, I think the improvment in our bigs will far outwiegh loss of Kone and Nesmith. I think we have alot of talent up front, with much potential. Just hope that JAM (given his type of offensive system) uses them wisely. Also hoping that the upgrades and additional experience up front clog the middle to improve our "D".
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Not a lot of talk on these boards about Juan'ya playing injured for the majority of the season. I forget which game specifically, but he injured his shooting wrist in one of the OOC games early in the season and played noticeably injured from there. I don't want to blame everything on it, but I have knowledge that it effected his shooting stroke (follow through is tough with an injured wrist), ball control, and ability to play up to his expected level.

The good part? He was still 1st team ALL-CAA. I'm beyond excited to see this guy play with an off season of rest and rehab under his belt. Agree with all other points on this seasons roster-- strong big men (JAM is very big on Djambo), solid depth, and a lot of expectations.
Polito

Post by Polito »

They really needed to add some scoring and/or defensive depth with the last scholly - I'm not sold that they will win the CAA, esp based on the underperforming seen last yr - finishing 5th and bowing out against a mid pack AE team in a VERY winnable tournament, at home no less, leaves a LOT to be desired

Love this program, but really feel they dropped the ball not brining in more talent - no excuses, there were PLENTY of players available that would've been very good fits - they just didn't get it done.

Better hope Djambo and Koon are stars, because depending on the same talent level as last yr IMO isn't going to be enough.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Not sure what was going on with Walker this year...he appeared to be in coaches doghouse this past season...not sure how coachable he is...I was sitting behind one of baskets during LaSalle game...Walker was guarding his man standing straight up & was not in defensive position...coach was screaming at him from the sideline to bend at knees & to be ready...Walker apparently did not hear coach...ball came in to man Walker was guarding and guy stepped around Walker for easy lay in...a lot of schools were recruiting Walker his senior year based on his potential...he moves well for guy his size and appears to have frame to put weight on with work in the weight room...question is how dedicated is he to improving??? It would be a big plus to this program if he could clog up the lane and block/alter some shots...rebound some...and hit the high percentage shot...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Unless someone leaves, with the addition of Sabety, next year's roster is set:

G
Bernardi JR
Buie FR
Gonzalez SO
Green SR
Wright-Foreman FR

G/F