CAA Conference Rumors

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: CAA Conference Rumors

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:I will concede that conference strength absolutely makes a difference in NCAAT seeding. So for that, this kind of thing can make a difference.

... but see Hofstra has to actually make the dance for it to matter.

As far as not having a bid, this is a complete non-issue - you're referencing something from a lifetime ago. EVERY D1 conf winner gets an auto bid, there is zero risk there unless the CAA falls below the member requirements.

This expansion is unnecessary, will add next to nothing in conf strength, make next to no impact on seeding, and will only make the league harder with more teams - zero benefit to HU. I maintain my position on that.

I am not excited one iota about adding competition that doesn't move the dial ... totally useless to me. All I want is HU in the dance. Repeatedly.
A Conference must meet certain criteria to get a bid...if our number slips below a certain number, or new members have not been in the League for two years we may LOSE that bid.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interestingly there are 2 conf currently in danger of this: the MEAC and the Southland, both with only 8 schools each.

I get it, it can happen and it's a risk in the CAA if other football schools leave. But I have NO interest in a 12 member mid major league - I want the best path for HU in the dance as possible, that is my only concern. But if the CAA is mitigating it's risk, I get it.

Though I'm really not sure why UNCG, Fairfield, and Monmouth want to leave their conferences - not sure I get that - F & M aren't going to have any easier time in the CAA in hoops or lax, and frankly Southern Conf hoops is better than the CAA, and UNCG has been quite strong in it over the recent years. Are their conf leaders worse than the CAAs? lol because they DEF aren't going to get any better exposure here with this piss poor conf admin doing a garbage job with basically everything they're supposed to do.

What is the CAA offering these schools that are better than where they are?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

For Monmouth it’s for their football program. For Fairfield it’s to break away from the Metro area Catholic competitors and they’re already playing lacrosse in the CAA.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks HUSID, makes more sense.

Still a big fat no thank you from me. ZERO interest in this. Hope it falls through and the CAA stays relatively lean so HU has a better shot to dance more.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Thanks HUSID, makes more sense.

Still a big fat no thank you from me. ZERO interest in this. Hope it falls through and the CAA stays relatively lean so HU has a better shot to dance more.
The problem with that thinking is if you get into a situation where if a number of schools leave at once you may not have enough teams for automatic bid like what happened with old East Coast Conference in early 1990s and then is total disaster so you want to have enough for insurance. Having 12 would also be positive in sense of less travel as well with the north-south divisions.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I believe in lacrosse 6 teams are needed fir a conference in basketball I think its 8 I have said that due to rising costs conferences will be looking to streamline travel The CAA has a large footprint from Massachusetts to South Carolina For a mid Major thats a lot of travel for teams on the edges I dint like the north South divisions as we fans will not see half of our conference teams play
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:I believe in lacrosse 6 teams are needed fir a conference in basketball I think its 8 I have said that due to rising costs conferences will be looking to streamline travel The CAA has a large footprint from Massachusetts to South Carolina For a mid Major thats a lot of travel for teams on the edges I dint like the north South divisions as we fans will not see half of our conference teams play
If we go to two divisions we will play the north schools home and home and the southern schools once per year, rotating home and home every year.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hoops powerhouse jmu will not be missed. Love to see them replaced with a team in the ny metro area. In fact, dump UNCW and elon too. Add teams from NJ, PA, MA, OR CT. Make it a northern league, with W&M the southern outpost

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That will never happen bot with headquarters in Richmond