New Amsterdam FC Playing at Hofstra Soccer Stadium

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

New Amsterdam FC Playing at Hofstra Soccer Stadium

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra sent an e-mail that starts with:

"Professional Soccer is BACK at Hofstra!

New Amsterdam FC (currently first place in NISA) is playing all Fall 2021 NISA Home games at Hofstra Soccer Stadium."

The National Independent Soccer Association (NISA) is one of two leagues at level three in the USA. "FC" in club names means Football Club. In England, most or all clubs have their full name end with FC. Some clubs such as Barcelona put FC at the beginning of the name. In the USA, we call it soccer, and club names can have FC, SC for soccer club, or neither. Wikipedia says Hofstra Soccer Stadium holds 1,600, and every other club has a stadium with a capacity of at least 4,000. New Amsterdam FC is coached by Bouna Condoul, a goalkeeper who played in college for Albany and was the New York Red Bulls goalkeeper for 49 games. He played 29 games for the Senegalese national team. He's 39, and this is his first coaching job.
joeg1

Re: New Amsterdam FC Playing at Hofstra Soccer Stadium

Post by joeg1 »

Even old New York, was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it? I can't say.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

joeg1 wrote:Even old New York, was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it? I can't say.

Nice They Might Be Giants reference.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

joeg1 wrote: Even old New York, was once New Amsterdam. Why they changed it? I can't say.
It was New Amsterdam when it was a Dutch colony and became New York when it became a British colony. A famous place with a Dutch name is Harlem, which was named after Haarlem in the Netherlands. In elementary school we read a short history book about Long Island. Answering in a complete sentence, I wrote "Long Island is called Long Island because Long Island is very long."
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Those are all fun facts.

I was referring to the lyric from the song Istanbul (Not Constantinople), a minor hit for They Might Be Giants a few years ago. The song goes back to the 50s, I believe.

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

joeg1 wrote:Those are all fun facts.

I was referring to the lyric from the song Istanbul (Not Constantinople), a minor hit for They Might Be Giants a few years ago. The song goes back to the 50s, I believe.

My older sister in 1990 used to listen to an obscure song by them called "Whistling in the Dark". A very unique band!