2021 Men's Lacrosse

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mikey77

Re: 2021 Men's Lacrosse

Post by Mikey77 »

Yes. This will need a grind. Low TO's. No penalty's. Good faceoff ratio. No easy/soft goals given up. Need the offense to bring its A game and keep the ball in the offensive end.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

Mikey77 wrote:Yes. This will need a grind. Low TO's. No penalty's. Good faceoff ratio. No easy/soft goals given up. Need the offense to bring its A game and keep the ball in the offensive end.

awesome game plan - or, and I am just spit balling here, score one more goal then them
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

You're a riot pal.
Dutchflid

Post by Dutchflid »

Mikey77 wrote:You're a riot pal.
Pal - you are constantly critical of ST and generally negative all the time, two minutes into the game you posted "Off to an awful start. Down 2 - 0 and playing worse. Our long poles are timid and awful." and now you are coming up with a game plan that consists of win the face offs, don't give up bad goals, don't take penalties and play good on offense as if you have some sort of insight into the game of lacrosse. peace and love brother, peace and love.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Are you serious? I've been watching Hofstra lacrosse since the 70's so it seems to me I have standing. I frankly don't need any lectures from you. The first two minutes were awful, perhaps you missed it. I am not always consistently negative of ST. You might check I was one of first posters yesterday to express congrats at a great win. I was also all for ST's hiring in 2006 and he had a good run for about 5 or so years, but the program has moved sideways if not taken a step back the last ten years. That's just a fact. ST has run a clean program and I have expressed confusion about ST because by all accounts he's a great coach but the fact is when ST took over Hofstra was running with the blue bloods of the sport but now struggles against lesser programs or programs that did not even exist ten years ago. So it seems to me you need to get your facts straight.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dutchflid first off no need to attack Mikey He is voicing an opinion that many on this board share Second we are all Hofstra fans who bleed blue and gold I myself have followed Hofstra since 1995 What is being said is frustration of a decade with no NCAA appearances That said lets all root for a victory today
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Is there a mercy rule?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Ardrey had three goals against these guys last time, but I don't think he has played at all. Any reason for that, or did I miss him on the field?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dug ourselves too big of a hole.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

They are who we thought they were. Another loser season. No one is surprised. Cant wait to run this back and disappoint next year as well.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

We lose a lot to graduation. Next year we'll likely be under .500. I'm guessing 5 - 9 or 6 - 8. Hope I'm wrong.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I watched the post game with the coach.
He mentioned that Several players may return...McIntosh possibly for 2 more years, Philbin, Herbert. Sykes, Sheridan Ardrey, Lufti can all play.
Hope springs eternal. I root for the student athletes and I see what a tough game it is.
Drexel is a load of a team and so was Delaware.
Go Dutch!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No doubt that the Menslax tournament needs to be expanded to 24
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:No doubt that the Menslax tournament needs to be expanded to 24
Stu I agree with you wholeheartedly! Are there any indications from the NCAA that this will happen?

It is definitely in the interest of the sport to expand, expose it to more people throughout the country.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Expansion is long overdue, but the power conferences don't want to change.

I'd like to see both the regular-season winners AND conference champions receive AQs. That wouldn't change things for the big boys, but would help the lower-ranked leagues. Plus it would be good for the sport. The problem is, how to add another round of playoffs and still end the season on Memorial Day? Might have to start playing in January!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Either that or play two games a week that should shorten the reg season to 6 weeks
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Maybe cut out a non-conference game off the schedule and pick up a week that way.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually 17 mens slots is right there are 117 womens teams and with 29 slots its 25% With the men its 68 teams and with 17 its 25% Only problem is the ACC isnt a conference since only 5 teams play the sport They use up a lot of the at large spots
Polito

Post by Polito »

Expansion is needed, but it is unlikely to help HU. This lax program isn't good, plays weak schedules, and performs poorly - it doesn't deserve at-larges, and unless they knock the socks off a season, they will likely not receive one.

This program needs change. It needs resurgence, and it needs to win. Period. And it isn't doing so under ST. 2011 and going. Pitiful. Although I commend Ryan for coming here and being loyal to his father, he was largely wasted in this mediocre program. It's sad. One of the best players in HU history, and in the CAA's history, and not a single NCAAT. I'm sorry but that's awful.

Color me 'shocked' to see the excitement short-lived and the program choke on it's home field when it had a golden opportunity to at least slightly mitigate years of failing.

So I'm very curious to something, and I would love for one of you HU lax politicians to explain this to me:

How is it that a fellow mid major can navigate this supposedly impossible new lax landscape, field an actual top 10 team (not the inflated ranking HU often temporarily carries and then falls flat on its face soon after), and wins it's way into the supposedly impossible to make NCAAT, and yet HU can't?

We dare not ever expect HU to do it, but Drexel can? Drexel, a school that is arguably less focused on sports than HU is, with high academic standards, in a terrible neighborhood in Philly, in less of a recruiting hotbed, with less lax pedigree, I could go on and on, somehow THEY managed to figure this out, but the excuses rain down yearly for ST & Co. like it's crazy for anyone to think they should do so. I'm sorry but I don't get this at all.

Drexel must be a one-in-a-lifetime team. 30 for 30 good considering the excuse-making I've seen for HU's yearly fall. Or is it actually possible that HU's staff, and HU's admin, have simply failed? For over a decade. Frankly, I don't know how any of you can stand it.

I will say one thing, that I think you laxers will like / agree - believe it or not, I actually think HU lax could rise back up in a BIG way in the very near-term with the right leadership. And it certainly isn't the leadership in place today. I really don't think the program is that far off, as bad as I think it is right now. I just think the present staff has done a garbage job with it. Sorry Dutchflid, I don't mean to cause any beef here, and I suspect you may have a personal connection driving the emotion, but that is how I see it. And the data backs it up.

Not sure what the issue is with Mikey, but I would be mindful that there aren't many people who give a rip about HU lax anymore, so at least the dude cares. Trust me, that's big with this fledgling program. There aren't many left. I am fine to continue my refusal to support until I see HU care about the program more than one coach. And the reality is they don't.

2 more years guys. Pray that's it. And now without Ryan. Yikes. :shock: :? :roll:
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Expansion is needed, but it is unlikely to help HU. This lax program isn't good, plays weak schedules, and performs poorly - it doesn't deserve at-larges, and unless they knock the socks off a season, they will likely not receive one.

This program needs change. It needs resurgence, and it needs to win. Period. And it isn't doing so under ST. 2011 and going. Pitiful. Although I commend Ryan for coming here and being loyal to his father, he was largely wasted in this mediocre program. It's sad. One of the best players in HU history, and in the CAA's history, and not a single NCAAT. I'm sorry but that's awful.

Color me 'shocked' to see the excitement short-lived and the program choke on it's home field when it had a golden opportunity to at least slightly mitigate years of failing.

So I'm very curious to something, and I would love for one of you HU lax politicians to explain this to me:

How is it that a fellow mid major can navigate this supposedly impossible new lax landscape, field an actual top 10 team (not the inflated ranking HU often temporarily carries and then falls flat on its face soon after), and wins it's way into the supposedly impossible to make NCAAT, and yet HU can't?

We dare not ever expect HU to do it, but Drexel can? Drexel, a school that is arguably less focused on sports than HU is, with high academic standards, in a terrible neighborhood in Philly, in less of a recruiting hotbed, with less lax pedigree, I could go on and on, somehow THEY managed to figure this out, but the excuses rain down yearly for ST & Co. like it's crazy for anyone to think they should do so. I'm sorry but I don't get this at all.

Drexel must be a one-in-a-lifetime team. 30 for 30 good considering the excuse-making I've seen for HU's yearly fall. Or is it actually possible that HU's staff, and HU's admin, have simply failed? For over a decade. Frankly, I don't know how any of you can stand it.

I will say one thing, that I think you laxers will like / agree - believe it or not, I actually think HU lax could rise back up in a BIG way in the very near-term with the right leadership. And it certainly isn't the leadership in place today. I really don't think the program is that far off, as bad as I think it is right now. I just think the present staff has done a garbage job with it. Sorry Dutchflid, I don't mean to cause any beef here, and I suspect you may have a personal connection driving the emotion, but that is how I see it. And the data backs it up.

Not sure what the issue is with Mikey, but I would be mindful that there aren't many people who give a rip about HU lax anymore, so at least the dude cares. Trust me, that's big with this fledgling program. There aren't many left. I am fine to continue my refusal to support until I see HU care about the program more than one coach. And the reality is they don't.

2 more years guys. Pray that's it. And now without Ryan. Yikes. :shock: :? :roll:
In response to what you said about "weak schedule", in fairness Hofstra was set to play three Big Ten teams (Hopkins, Rutgers and Michigan) which were wiped out due to Big Ten playing a league only schedule because of covid. They were also supposed to play at Syracuse, which got cancelled because of positive covid tests. Hopefully some of these teams return to schedule in 2022.