Game #9 Hosting William & Mary 2

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Game #9 Hosting William & Mary 2

Post by Cards »

Thanks for the update Triplec.

Sounds like in the near future, we will have all three back and available. It will be interesting to see how all are used. I don't think JR and TC minutes will change much, so its really a matter of Green and Cramer losing minutes to ST, as well as Masic losing minutes to OS and ZB.

IMO, I think I'd rather have Green and Cramer keep thier minutes. I just don't know if ST is really much of an upgrade over the other two. In addition to which I believe the two freshman have a much higher ceiling than what we already know is ST's ceiling. The young guys are filling the 4 spot pretty well so far - let them keep playing.

IMO, I would also like to see VM keep most of the minutes as opposed to giving them to OS. I know some on the board are not convinced yet of VMs value, but I think he already has shown growth and confidence with the minutes he has played. As far as ZB, certainly when he is ready he should get a few minutes, but he has already missed 40% of the season and I don't know how well he'll fit with so little experience, in addition to which these are all conference games and carry more weight than OOC games. Like everyone else, I am anxious to see his game, but unless he comes out on fire, I don't see much time for him.

Other thoughts??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Thanks for the update triplec....good to hear that theses guys will be back soon...not sure what they can all give us but having a full roster for these back to back games coming up will be important...didn't Silverio disappear last year around the holidays as well?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I believe Silverio had a sick sister and had to leave the team for personal reasons last year. Anyone who watched the chronicles last night might have been a little taken back by comments made by Colin Curtin. When they started talking about Masic he complemented his game and referenced his international experience and how he's a fearless competitor under pressure. Mostly saying he's a good offensive player(what about his three point shot) but what I found shocking was when Curtin said he scored 11 points but gave up 15 on DEFENSE. I guess these kids can't be pampered anymore and it's time that they MAN up. Curtin said his defense will improve but its the weak part of his game. It's a small sample size but he has missed FT's as well.

Stafford Trueheart last year played 10.6 minutes a game and using common sense you have to feel he's getting less then that when he comes back. He will be a situational player that will come in when the situation calls for a rebounder and a shot blocker. He's not coming in to score but he's capable please we don't need another inefficient three point shooter just mid range. Idk WHAT TO SAY ABOUT Omar he's a better 3 point shooter then some of these kids right now(I see people rolling their eyes, lol) but he's such a Jekyll and Hyde type player you just don't know what Omar is going to step out on the court. Probably whatever minutes are left at the guard position could very well be divided between Masic and Bethea. I'm sure they'll give Zion some minutes assuming he's ready to go.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

If Kante continues to expand the range of his shot, and get a little better passing, he could be an nba 4.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:If Kante continues to expand the range of his shot, and get a little better passing, he could be an nba 4.

I've said to many that Kante reminds me of a "poor man's" Zion Williamson...He's not a prototypical NBA four at 6-7 as most NBA fours are 6-10 or taller. Kante would need to develop a much better handle and shot from as far out as the 3-point line but that's not what we need him for.

Happy that he keeps developing as a major force insde for us. God knows we have enought guys who like to hoist threes!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:
joeg1 wrote:If Kante continues to expand the range of his shot, and get a little better passing, he could be an nba 4.

I've said to many that Kante reminds me of a "poor man's" Zion Williamson...He's not a prototypical NBA four at 6-7 as most NBA fours are 6-10 or taller. Kante would need to develop a much better handle and shot from as far out as the 3-point line but that's not what we need him for.

Happy that he keeps developing as a major force insde for us. God knows we have enought guys who like to hoist threes!
Stretch 4 for sure. Randall on the Knicks maybe

Polito

Post by Polito »

I think just having the extra bodies for subbing, change of pace, certain matchups, etc. is what is needed - I don't see Green or Cramer getting a lot less minutes, but ST can definitely spot help - the 3 pt shooting overall is pretty awful, and he won't help that %, but at least he's another lengthy guy that can really run the floor.

Loved Curtin's comments, another staff guy keeping it real - it's the truth - Masic has some real game, pleasantly surprised there, but to be fair he's also making a ton of mistakes - fully expected by a frosh - I do believe he's a smart player, and will get that cleaned up over time - if he can be more serviceable on D, his O game is much broader and more consistent than OS. His floaters in the lane are a thing of beauty quite frankly lol. Seems like he could be a sleeper pickup, nice eval by the staff.

Omar... I think his inconsistency is tough for the staff, who typically in any sport / team need to feel they can trust the player - Masic is more reliable - although Omar is money from the line, would love to have him available when that is called for. He can hit from 3 of course, just don't see enough to make him a clear yes to get lots of minutes. A few help minutes yes though, depending on the game / matchup. Who knows...

As we all have said, eager to see Zion - but what a first year for him, won't put any expectation pressure on him - hope he's benefiting from the important family time. If he's the type of person who needs the game to funnel his emotion and energy through, that could help his transition, but we'll have to see how he acclimates. But again, whatever is best for him on a personal level is what's most important.

Would be amazing for HU to have a big make the league - so difficult at this level. Kante is a beast, esp for his size, but stretching his O game would be vital to that path ever having a chance. For now I am thrilled with his still developing dominance, and he will easily have a euro career at the minimum. Again, getting guys like that exposure on the national stage in the dance can be a big boost.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

With more players available, we should try to limit Ray and Coburn to 36 minutes, especially in the second game of each pair. Here's a possible distribution of 200 minutes:

Ray: 36
Coburn: 34
Kante: 30
Burgess: 30
Cramer: 15
Green: 10
Masic: 10
Schutte: 10
Silverio: 10
Trueheart: 10
Bethea: 5

The more players we have available, the more chances we have for someone other than our top three to shoot well and/or score double-digits, and I wonder if it's harder for opponents to prepare for teams with more players. As it is, Green and Cramer are sharing time, but they're different kind of players. Green has 66 percent of his attempts be threes, and Cramer has 22 percent of his attempts be threes. Last season Trueheart had 51 percent of his attempts be threes, so he's in between. Ray, Coburn, and maybe Burgess will play at least 30 minutes, and Kante and Schutte are the same type of player. Our 4 position has a big difference between players.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know Kante has been compared to Uter THat is in size and build but Adrian was a freak on defense Remember he holds the Hofstra record for blocks in a game at 10 with Springfield and Washington Kante does not have the leaping ability that these centers had He has superior footwork in the paint and his drop step reminds me of Mike Pegues of Delaware
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

Might they red shirt Bethea at this point in season?
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:Would be amazing for HU to have a big make the league - so difficult at this level. Kante is a beast, esp for his size, but stretching his O game would be vital to that path ever having a chance. For now I am thrilled with his still developing dominance, and he will easily have a euro career at the minimum. Again, getting guys like that exposure on the national stage in the dance can be a big boost.
Without giving it too much thought, my first reaction would be that IK is not tall enough for play in the paint and he does not have the shots to play the outside game. But then I started thinking about some of the recent successes of top CAA players. Specifically Devantae Cacok (6'7" 240 lbs) from UNCW a few years ago. I would have initially said the same about him, yet he got a ring last year with the Lakers, and he has a 2-way contract with them again this season. So here is a guy with "similar" skills and body size that earned a shot and is displaying some staying power at the top level. Good for him. -- Keep working at it IK.

FYI - other recent CAA players with 2021 2-way contracts Jerrell Brantley, Nathan Knight, and Grant Riller. JWF (Pelicans) does not have a 2-way this season.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

4EverDutch wrote:Might they red shirt Bethea at this point in season?
No need to use a redshirt this year as due to Covid it doesn't count as a year towards the limit anyway.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just a quick comment on the comparison of Kante and Cacock. I watched most of the 3x3 tourney where Cacock showcased his talents and he really plays bigger then a 6'7 kid. He's a much better leaper then Kante. They fed him a lot of back door dunks and he was a handful. Kante is more of a power player who will muscle you down low.