CIT & CBI Selection Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: CIT & CBI Selection Thread

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:We could wind up playing Stony Brook for the CBI championship:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/ ... racket.pdf
which would be a best-of-three on the CBS Sports Network - so, decent exposure.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How does everyone feel about us deciding to pay to host at least the first round? Stony Brook elected not to host their CBI game, and JMU and UNCW decided not to host their CIT games. I'm personally ok with it, because it shows we're willing to invest in our program. I remember last year there was a report that came out and we had the biggest basketball budget of all CAA schools, so I guess it could be the same this year since we had the money to host. Even though we tend to play better on the road than at home, I definitely agree with having a home game not only for the team, but also for the fans who witnessed the W&M heartbreaker.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Great to see us make the commitment to play at home and happy we're playing a name team rather than some alphabet soup team like we played in the past. Hope the kids come out firing and we get a decent crowd...Everyone on this board should make the effort to come out and bring some people!!!!!!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I have no idea what the economics of Hofstra basketball are, but if you get 2,000 paying fans, you're bringing in about $25,000 right there. Will probably be less than that because it's so last minute (along with zero fans traveling from Vermont for the game). So hopefully they can get more than one home game out of this whole thing and make back the money. I'm ok with the investment either way.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I still can't excited about a tournament with no tradition like the CBI and the fact that so many schools turned it down should tell you something about it. If we win it, than great, but I won't be going bonkers.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like Pride Productions will have video for those who can't make it to the Mack.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We should black it out so people will show up...WE NEED TO GET AT LEAST 2,000 people there!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We will be lucky if there are 1,000 people at the Mack on Wednesday.

This is a good tournament for us because I don't believe we played enough quality opponents this year. Not that this field looks great or anything, but if we win a few games, we will get some more elimination games under our belts against teams on our level, which we could take into next season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think it's fantastic they're playing in it and even better that they made the commitment to host

Love the opponent and prior history

Don't care who turned it down, HU is in no such position yr 2 of the rebuild and is fortunate right now to have this opp - run with it

I think they can and should get 2k there, and have a strong student turnout

And I bet Vermont brings more fans than you think - nice mid program and pretty solid success for them over the yrs

I'm looking forward to it! I think they can win the whole thing - a HU vs SBU final would be SICK - actually hoping for it!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

HUSID80 wrote:We should black it out so people will show up...WE NEED TO GET AT LEAST 2,000 people there!
Lucky if we get 500-why would anyone want to spend the time and money to see us play Vermont? By the way have we been practicing over the last week?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

bobe13 wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:We should black it out so people will show up...WE NEED TO GET AT LEAST 2,000 people there!
Lucky if we get 500-why would anyone want to spend the time and money to see us play Vermont? By the way have we been practicing over the last week?
Some fan you are! ESPN Pick Center has us as 6 point FAVS over Vermont
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Just not a blind fan.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:How does everyone feel about us deciding to pay to host at least the first round? Stony Brook elected not to host their CBI game, and JMU and UNCW decided not to host their CIT games. I'm personally ok with it, because it shows we're willing to invest in our program. I remember last year there was a report that came out and we had the biggest basketball budget of all CAA schools, so I guess it could be the same this year since we had the money to host. Even though we tend to play better on the road than at home, I definitely agree with having a home game not only for the team, but also for the fans who witnessed the W&M heartbreaker.
I don't think this is big hit to the budget that would prevent better recruiting or things of that nature. So from that standpoint, there isn't much to worry about.

If you love to see HU play basketball games in the Mack (which we all do), what's there not to like from that standpoint?

An SBU-HU final would garner some local media attention (Newsday, etc.) so you have to like that as well.

And since the final is a best-of-three on CBS Sports Network, the money you spent to host games (if you reach the finals) can be seen as a worthwhile investment with the reward of getting exposure on that network.

More basketball is always a good thing (as long as no one gets hurt), but winning this tournament, because it's not the NCAAT or NIT, would feel like closing the season with a winning streak in a few postseason, glorified exhibition games. It's even worse than when the Mets (and I'm a Met fan) were so proud to display their Wild-Card Winner banner for so many years at Shea, when they Yankees would only count World Series trophies. Then again, when you only have four NCAAT appearances, no NCAAT wins and just two NIT wins in a history that dates back to the 1930's, I guess you have to be proud of anything you can tout, and build off of that. At one point, Gonzaga and Butler didn't have any banners to show either.
Last edited by Wags on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I'll be there and from what I remember from the America East days, Vermont always brought a decent amount of fans to Hofstra. I’ll be interested to see what impact the shot clock change to 30 seconds will have. This should suit Hofstra well. We are comfortable with this tempo offensively, and hey we get to defend for 5 seconds less each possession :) Combine that with a weak field and I can see Hofstra ending up in the championship series. And how interesting and certainly different would a best of 3 series against Stony Brook be? Long way to go for that though. I’ll be treating this tournament as an opportunity for us to extend the season in a survive and advance setting. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with playing a few extra games. It can only help the team, there's nothing to lose.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote: I’ll be interested to see what impact the shot clock change to 30 seconds will have. This should suit Hofstra well. We are comfortable with this tempo offensively, and hey we get to defend for 5 seconds less each possession :)
So funny, I was thinking the same thing about getting to defend for five fewer seconds. And at the other end, maybe with more possessions, Tanskley will actually take a lot more than only 5-7 shots, like he did in a lot of games down the stretch.

I'm happiest for Moussa and Dion though, who get a least one more memory of playing at home instead of having to live with that brutal ending in Baltimore as their last moments in Hofstra uniforms. That alone is worth the admission fee Hofstra paid to host this game.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The only reason I think Vermont will have less is because they have a Hockey East semifinal game at the TD Garden on Friday this week. People who are going to take one day off this week to go see Vermont I would imagine would be much more inclined to do that. If you had to pick between a Hofstra first round CIT at Vermont or a Hofstra lacrosse CAA championship weekend significantly closer, which would you choose?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

That would be a complete no-brainer for me as I'm sure it will be for the Vermont fans. If it were NIT then different story, but I can't imagine them being that motivated to drive 5 hours for a CBI game.
hualum

Post by hualum »

this is not a strong field. We should be able to make a run.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100% ^^^

Hope this team realizes the opp they have here and go ALL OUT to bring home a banner - people can knock it all they want but the reality is HU is fortunate to have another shot to play this yr, and this could be a VERY positive mark for the program

Sure Siena is quite proud of their CBI champ last ur, and VCU was quite good with using a solid run in it to at least HELP catapult them to a FF the next yr

Want these guys to GET AFTER THIS with a total FOCUS