MBB Game 33 - CAA Semifinals - W&M - 3/8/15, 2:30 PM NBCSN

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB Game 33 - CAA Semifinals - W&M - 3/8/15, 2:30 PM NBC

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra had 20 assists, which is their most assists in a loss since at least 1998-1999. I don't have records going farther back than that.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Well gents, I must say that this was one of the most exciting HU games I've seen. i was entirely on the edge of my seat. Can't believe while watching TV I was yelling at the players when they screwed up and whooping it up when they did something great. tough, tough loss that could have been secured with simply some better foul shooting. Kudos for not leaving anything out on the floor. the guys gave it thier best - yes we can expect more, but we must remember that they are not pros.

I have to assume that Tarpey was never right after turning his ankle, because W&W was essentially a two man team (Thornton and Pruitt). Hofstra was much more balanced.

Going back to pre season predictions, I and several others were looking at 18 - 22 wins. With 20 in the book, I think we will have to say that this was a sucessful season in many ways. i also do think that next year the team will be better positioned to exceed this years accomplishments.

We will soon be back to talking about recruiting and the 2015/2016 team makeup. the seasons go by too fast!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think they should def play in one of the other tourneys - I'm normally not a fan at all, but they could def use the experience and would love to see the seniors get a shot to win a tourney
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Kids played their hearts and left all on the court. I was there and I still can't get over how the game was called. We had TEN more fouls then them and our poor free throw shooting when we had those limited chances. By every other statistical category we win the game.

What was so unusual was that most often,late in games our guards are getting fouled and they make their free throws. This game our bigs were getting fouled and they could not convert...horrible.

Overall, successful year...the program is on the right track, we have a great staff in place and we DOUBLED our win total from last year.

Would like to see Moussa and Dion play some more in a Hofstra uniform though.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I think the reason why so many of us would like to see Hofstra in either the CBI or CIT is that we dont want the season to end with this 2-OT loss to the number 1 seed in the CAA tourney.This was great effort that deserves an extension to a season of promise. The 20 wins was a realistic goal but we came so close for this being a magical season. Consider where we were 2 seasons ago.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree totally Stu

Not to be hard on anyone, but my goodness Tanksley was absent - he looked so bad on those easy under the basket layups, really disappointed he didn't show out in a monster game - when the team needed him, as a leader, he did absolutely nothing - even horrible passes

If they keep playing he owes this group a much better effort
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

As a basketball fan, great game to watch.
As a Hofstra basketball fan disappointing finish of game to watch.
As a critic please don't tell me Free Throw shooting doesn't matter, it does. Our foul shooting kept giving WM chances and eventually they were able to capitalize on those given opportunities.
As a Hofstra hopeful, this team has potential next year to be really good and with graduating players (Green, Tanksley, Nicols, Djambo) it has to be next year or bust...a nice athletic big that can finish would be a great fit for this team (and Green)
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

My "free throws don't matter" post was (I hope obviously) tongue in cheek- a reference, that Stu cleared up, to the old board. I don't think anyone here agrees with that philosophy, especially right now.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Really proud of this team, they played their asses off this weekend, especially our Seniors, Dion and Moussa killed it this weekend, played at the highest level I've ever seen them play. We were very lucky to have those high-character guys in the program the past few years.

That was the most heartbreaking loss I've ever seen. Yeah, the FT's killed us, but the unfortunate reality was that the guys getting to the line in the big situations were our worst three FT shooters this year, so it was kind of expected. Green/Bernardi went 10-12. Definitely something they have to work on this off-season.

I have to give a lot of credit to Thornton and Prewitt, they were unbelievable, I still cannot believe Thornton found Dixon in the corner, he was the CAA POY for a reason.

Still a shame we lost, W&M only had a 3.7% chance to win the game when Bernardi "stepped" on the baseline with 50 seconds left in the game, still sick about the result. Baltimore was a great time this year, best fan support at the CAAT in years for Hofstra. Hopefully the students come back next year, and we can defend our home court.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There were many poor calls and the Bernardi one was blatant. Also lost in all of this was the play of Gustys. He showed that he can be a dominant player in the CAA. Excited about the future but will really miss Dion and Moussa. Class acts who gave everything on the floor and off it.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

From a Staten Island news article that focuses on Bernardi in yesterday's game:
"The Pride is hoping their 20-win record will earn them a post in one of the lesser post-season tournaments."
http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/go ... ights.html
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

ProudofPride wrote:From a Staten Island news article that focuses on Bernardi in yesterday's game:
"The Pride is hoping their 20-win record will earn them a post in one of the lesser post-season tournaments."
http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/go ... ights.html
That's cool. I'm not a big fan of those tournaments, but if the team wanted to keep playing, and we got a home game, I'd show up.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I can't stand CBI or CIT and wish they would go away so want no part of them. Yesterday was as bad as heartbreaking a way to end season as possible, but time to move on and prepare for 2015/16. If it were NIT I'd be all for it, but CBI and CIT are a joke and waste of time.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

William and Mary doesn't even deserve the NIT bid after this pitiful performance against Northeastern. I bet we could've at least been competitive.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote: William and Mary doesn't even deserve the NIT bid after this pitiful performance against Northeastern. I bet we could've at least been competitive.
I wouldn't count on it. NU did whatever it wanted offensively in two games against HU this year. NU also defends far more consistently and makes adjustments better. Thornton and Prewitt combined for 24 pts tonight. They combined for 70 (including Thornton's CAA tourney record 37) against HU the day before. Prewitt only scored 4 pts against NU after scoring 33 against HU.

If HU wanted at least the NIT, they could have had it had they not blown so many winnable games at home. So HU fans shouldn't be saying W&M doesn't deserve the NIT.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

W&M gets an auto bid for the NIT because they were the #1 seed in the CAA. I can see UNCW and JMU in the CBI and Hofstra in the CIT.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I think our game with W&M had a lot to do with their performance against Northeastern...I think they were gassed and sore...They were down 10-0 right at the start and Thornton was not a factor.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:W&M gets an auto bid for the NIT because they were the #1 seed in the CAA. I can see UNCW and JMU in the CBI and Hofstra in the CIT.
Stu why the CBI vs the CIT???? Any insights here?
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree Stuball888 - CIT gets mid majors who do not get picked for NCAA, NIT, and CBI.

"32 participants who belong to "mid-major" conferences and were not invited to the 2014 NCAA Tournament, the 2014 National Invitation Tournament (NIT), or the 2014 College Basketball Invitational (CBI) made up the field."

I would be happy with any of the above, as long as at least one game (hopefully more) is at home.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cards just answered for me. he hit the nail on the head.