Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by EvanJ »

Brooklyn (LIU) and St. Francis and Bronx (Fordham and Manhattan) are the only boroughs with two Division I teams.

For the second consecutive season, Towson's second leading scorer transferred, and unlike before 2019-2020, Brian Fobbs graduated. Allen Betrand, who avearged 13.6 points, transferred. Their only starter who could return in 2020-2021 is Jason Gibson, who averaged 8.4 points.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:Brooklyn (LIU) and St. Francis and Bronx (Fordham and Manhattan) are the only boroughs with two Division I teams.

For the second consecutive season, Towson's second leading scorer transferred, and unlike before 2019-2020, Brian Fobbs graduated. Allen Betrand, who avearged 13.6 points, transferred. Their only starter who could return in 2020-2021 is Jason Gibson, who averaged 8.4 points.
Amazing right at least when we lose players they're not impact players but does it behoove us in the long run these good players transferring OOC. Our conference which at one time I believe was ranked 11th or 12th out of 32 was ranked 16th this past year. This may keep us in the top echelons of this conference and in the running for the championship but hurts us overall especially as it relates to seedings in tournaments and probably recruiting.
Cards

Post by Cards »

David Green, incoming HU freshman named 1st team all state (Florida).

Very excited that JM and company landed this kid. Will be a huge 4 yr addition. Can't wait till next season.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Great accomplishment for Green.

What other (if any?) 1st team all-state selections have we landed out of HS in the past? Speedy? Eli?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

So I checked Verbal Commits and David Green is listed as a 2 star player. Why so low an evaluation for an all state player?
Cards

Post by Cards »

The Shadow wrote:So I checked Verbal Commits and David Green is listed as a 2 star player. Why so low an evaluation for an all state player?
Not sure. Could be that state has many high school divisions based on school size, etc. He could be all state for a specific division only. Or It could be he was just improperly rated. As I recall, his coach said something to the effect that he could have gone P5, but he fell in love with HU.

Also, recall that some guys like Jenkins and JWF were 2 star recruits.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Looks like the new transfer rule for next school year is in some jeopardy as the NCAA board recommended against it yesterday.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:David Green, incoming HU freshman named 1st team all state (Florida).

Very excited that JM and company landed this kid. Will be a huge 4 yr addition. Can't wait till next season.
I hope we don't blow expectations out of proportion for both Green and Cramer. I'm looking forward to see how they blend with Kante,Coburn and Ray and now with a kid that has good size that can shoot the three and bang with the big boys down low it seems to give us a dimension that we haven't had in quite sometime. Green is big and strong and appears ready for the next level. As far as size he's built similar to Denton Koon I'm hoping bulkier and is a better rebounder hopefully a better 3 point shooter but Denton did shoot the three well. As I've said before watching some tape on him he appears to be a man among boys. Cramer from what I've seen is not the solid shooter yet but his game will be above the rim. As coach said he looks to throw everything down and will be an exciting player for us to watch. Maybe a Malik Nichols type who will give us more scoring.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
The Shadow wrote:So I checked Verbal Commits and David Green is listed as a 2 star player. Why so low an evaluation for an all state player?
Not sure. Could be that state has many high school divisions based on school size, etc. He could be all state for a specific division only. Or It could be he was just improperly rated. As I recall, his coach said something to the effect that he could have gone P5, but he fell in love with HU.

Also, recall that some guys like Jenkins and JWF were 2 star recruits.
Actually if you go to the State of NY top recruits in 2015 JWF WAS RANKED THE 9th best player coming out of NY IN 2015 and is listed as a 3 star recruit Buie was tied for 10th with Jordan Roland and both are listed as 2 star recruits. In other places on V/C Buie is listed as a 3 star recruit. Buie was first team all state IDK all the categories and how they are grouped. In 7AA I believe that's the group Green was in he was 1st team. The star system on V/C is so out of whack and is not up to date. Green had a big senior year and led his team in scoring probably would have finished as a 3 star player for what that's worth. It seems very meaningless the star ratings. Some of the best players in the CAA were supposed 2 star recruits.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with you triple c regarding the "star" ranking in verbal commits. We've seen plenty of sophomores in HS who get a 2 star rank that sticks with them all through HS. Sometimes those guys develop into top level players/recruits later on in thier HS careers, but thier ranking is never updated.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Agree with you triple c regarding the "star" ranking in verbal commits. We've seen plenty of sophomores in HS who get a 2 star rank that sticks with them all through HS. Sometimes those guys develop into top level players/recruits later on in thier HS careers, but thier ranking is never updated.
Absolutely true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to D1 Docket, HU at San Jose State on Wednesday, November 25th. This is the the day before Thanksgiving, so the USF game is probably around the same time.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Cards wrote:Agree with you triple c regarding the "star" ranking in verbal commits. We've seen plenty of sophomores in HS who get a 2 star rank that sticks with them all through HS. Sometimes those guys develop into top level players/recruits later on in thier HS careers, but thier ranking is never updated.
Absolutely true!!

So true!

in fact in my looking at NY Knick potential 2020 draft picks - Tyrese Haliburton was a rather lightly recruited HS kid now playing for Iowa State/PG/just finished his sophomore season - and came in as a 2-star player via verbal commit - now a potential top 10 NBA pick in this years draft.

When I look at Verbal Commits star ranking - I look at it as a loose guide line.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Absolutely true!!

So true!

in fact in my looking at NY Knick potential 2020 draft picks - Tyrese Haliburton was a rather lightly recruited HS kid now playing for Iowa State/PG/just finished his sophomore season - and came in as a 2-star player via verbal commit - now a potential top 10 NBA pick in this years draft.

When I look at Verbal Commits star ranking - I look at it as a loose guide line.
I've been using V/C as a source guide to our recruiting and college basketball players in general and I think you are spot on when you say loose guide line. Not only are players underrated here but the converse is also true. You see kids that are 4 and 5 star recruits that never seem to take off in college. That kid Nelson who just transferred from Seton Hall for one. It wasn't long ago that Delaware had a kid named Ryan Daly who was their leading scorer he has since transferred to St Joe's but according to V/C he was the 16th best player coming out of Pennsylvania in 2016 had a 1 star rating according to ESPN and a grade score of 59. Either he resurrected himself or this rating wasn't accurate. I don't think I ever saw a kid rated that low?? In contrast out K'Vonn Cramer was ranked the #2 player out of Delaware with a 3 star rating and a 76 point score. I think like Cards has said these ratings aren't current maybe they're done when these kids are early in their HS careers.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If scouts were always right, 62nd round pick Mike Piazza wouldn't have made the Hall of Fame, and B.J. Wallace who never reached MLB was drafted 3 spots before Derek Jeter. Michael Jordan, Walt Disney, and Dr. Seuss were all rejected before becoming famous.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/statu ... 3483595783 says Delaware's Justyn Mutts is transferring. He graduated with two years of eligibility left, so he can play immediately. https://twitter.com/DalyDoseOfHoops/sta ... 6591986691 remembers that he had 30 points, 13 rebounds, and shot 14-17 in a win at us. In three games against us including the CAA Tournament, he averaged 19.0 points, 10.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.0 blocks, shot field goals 27-42 (.643) without attempting a three, and shot free throws 3-4. He averaged 12.2 points (tied for 16th in the CAA), 8.4 rebounds (5th), shot field goals .538 (5th), 2.2 assists (15th), and 1.0 blocks (5th). Of the Top 20 rebounders in the CAA, 10 graduated, and 3 transferred. The players who could return in 2020-2021 are Drexel senior James Butler (senior who was fifth in Division I with 11.7 rebounds), Kante (6th with 7.7), Elon sophomore Hunter Woods (7th with 6.6), UNCW senior Mike Okauru (135th with 5.6) JMU senior Matt Lewis (14th with 5.5), Coburn (15th with 5.5), and UNCW junior Jaylen Sims (16th with 5.4). In addition to Mutts, JMU's Dwight Wilson (3rd with 9.3) and Northeastern senior Maxime Boursiquot (19th with 5.0) transferred. In addition to us, the only teams who could return their top two rebounders are UNCW (Okauru and Sims) and Drexel (Butler and Zach Walton who averaged 4.4 may have graduated but was not honored on Senior Day because he petitioned for more eligibility).

Ian Steere, a forward who had 4 points and 1 rebound in 21 minutes for St. John's, transferred to UNCW. He has to sit out 2020-2021 and can play for two seasons after that.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I certainly felt that Delaware was the odds on favorite to win the CAA this year because it looked like they were returning all their starters but now we certainly have to be major included in this discussion. Losing Mutts is a huge loss for Delaware and like you said Evan he played well against us. Delaware also lost Colin Goss who averaged over 6 points a game and 4.5 boards. He also had some good games against us. We are losing 35+ points a game which is similar to what we lost the year before when JWF and Taylor graduated but this just begins to tell the story of losing Eli and Desure with all their experience and Buie's leadership. However if Elmo/Burgess are solid at the point and we find a kid(s) who can score and we certainly have a lot to chose from we will be coming in with another strong and competitive team.

Thanks for this info. Evan!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I certainly felt that Delaware was the odds on favorite to win the CAA this year because it looked like they were returning all their starters but now we certainly have to be major included in this discussion. Losing Mutts is a huge loss for Delaware and like you said Evan he played well against us. Delaware also lost Colin Goss who averaged over 6 points a game and 4.5 boards. He also had some good games against us. We are losing 35+ points a game which is similar to what we lost the year before when JWF and Taylor graduated but this just begins to tell the story of losing Eli and Desure with all their experience and Buie's leadership. However if Elmo/Burgess are solid at the point and we find a kid(s) who can score and we certainly have a lot to chose from we will be coming in with another strong and competitive team.

Thanks for this info. Evan!!
MAJOR LOSS for UD.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Yeah this is borderline shocking. Starter on a talented team that is a heavy favorite to win its conference and go to the tourney next year.

It seems like he has stars in his eyes, which is good for him-- It just feels like a very big calculated risk.

Good news is, this makes next season a bit more up for grabs...
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Mutts is a good player and can easily see him in the Big East or ACC. Delaware seems a little snake bit with guys transferring.