MBB Game 30 - C of C - 2/25/15 - Senior Night

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ZMAN3

Re: MBB Game 30 - C of C - 2/25/15 - Senior Night

Post by ZMAN3 »

dutchiedoright wrote:how does Izzo figure in to this ?

I've seen walker play. He can't.
Izzo figures into it in that when the game is decided (which our game was last night) he gives guys who don't play often an opportunity. Furthermore I've seen Walker play and have been a season ticket holder - probably longer than you've been alive - so I'll value my judgment more than yours
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yeh and you guys probably said Moussa could not play when he first came here. But hey we are not getting five star bigs and we need to take some risks and develop them. Both Rokas and Wakler have shown some real flashes along with a ton of inexperience and mistakes...Given time, and if they both stay they will become strong contributors to this program.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:
dutchiedoright wrote:how does Izzo figure in to this ?

I've seen walker play. He can't.
Izzo figures into it in that when the game is decided (which our game was last night) he gives guys who don't play often an opportunity. Furthermore I've seen Walker play and have been a season ticket holder - probably longer than you've been alive - so I'll value my judgment more than yours
I remember asking the same as you,Z, during the win over LIU at Barclays and HU's win at Drexel... noting that Green and a few other starters were still in late, long after the outcomes in those two games were decided. I didn't get it then, nor last night. If not even to give some playing time to the end of the bench, then simply to rest your key guys, to keep them fresh over the season and to reduce the risk of a needless injury late in a blowout - especially last night, for Green, with his hand taped. Why roll the dice with that when you don't have to?

I know Coach really loves the guys he coaches. He's shown it many times after a game this year, and I saw him get emotional after Upshaw's last game in Baltimore last year, and maybe it's simply that he knows four years (or in a few guys' cases on this team, two years) goes so fast, and liking the key players so much, he wants to give them every minute he can give them. I don't know if it's that, but when it's over, rest your key players. You'll get more out of them later on, when you really need them.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was College of Charleston's fewest points in the first half of a Division I game.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Izzo has 8 guys who log significant minutes.

JM has 8 guys who log significant minutes.

Izzo's back-end of the roster is mostly upper classmen.

JM's are Freshmen.

Izzo is not in a turn around mode.

JM is.

I trust JM's day-to-day knowledge of what might be best for player development. If it doesn't work out after a bit, then there's a point of discussion.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

dutchiedoright wrote:Izzo has 8 guys who log significant minutes.

JM has 8 guys who log significant minutes.

Izzo's back-end of the roster is mostly upper classmen.

JM's are Freshmen.

Izzo is not in a turn around mode.

JM is.

I trust JM's day-to-day knowledge of what might be best for player development. If it doesn't work out after a bit, then there's a point of discussion.

Now that what a lot of a waste of time and space!
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Just trying to defend our guy and show that just maybe after 40 years at the D-1 level he's not making the "mistake of a lifetime" by slowly bringing along a freshman.