2019 Women's Soccer

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: 2019 Women's Soccer

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Chris Henderson, who tracks college women's soccer and RPI rankings very closely, projects Hofstra will get a first round home game with also an outside chance at being one of the top 16 seeds ( although that part is probably very unlikely) https://twitter.com/chris_awk/status/11 ... 35841?s=20

It will be interesting if we do get home game and Stony Brook wins America East later today if they would set up a Battle of Long Island. My guess is Stony Brook would get sent to Rutgers or Penn State because of low RPI.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We're 16th in the RPI through yesterday, so apparently the NCAA is updating it during conference tournaments and not waiting until Monday. Stony Brook is 122nd. A Men's Basketball team with an RPI that low would get a 15 seed (without checking I think that would be the most likely seed), so even if we get a seed, Stony Brook could be sent to a better seed. They could send Stony Brook to Brown, who's 9th in the RPI. Rutgers is 14th. Penn State is 26th, so they should get a home game against a team that isn't one of the bottom automatic bids. Looking at the RPI, Yale, Harvard, and Monmouth are teams who could go to Rutgers or Penn State if the NCAA cares about minimizing travel. Does the NCAA pay for travel costs?

If the Selection Committee cares about rivalries, they may only care about top conference teams in the same state but not the same conference such as making Florida vs. Florida State or Kentucky vs. Louisville. I don't think the Selection Committee cares about a Long Island rivalry, and if Committee members look at team quality but not location there could be people who have no idea that Hofstra and Stony Brook are rivals.

I did a search for "NCAA RPI," and the first result that was about one school was our October 15 article titled "WSOC: Hofstra Breaks Into NCAA RPI Top-25."
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The NCAA does handle the travel, and for non-revenue sports, the location absolutely does matter.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:The NCAA does handle the travel, and for non-revenue sports, the location absolutely does matter.
i agree and Stony Brook going to Hofstra would save the NCAA hotel costs. For whatever it is worth, Chris Henderson projects a Hofstra-Stony Brook first round matchup and then us going to South Carolina if we win to face UCLA. http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=17097
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Like what happened to Softball recently at Florida, not only were we not one of the 16 seeds, but we have to face the 1 overall seed to reach to final 16. We host Loyola (Chicago) and play a Round of 32 game at Stanford if both teams win the First Round game. Brown, who was 10th in RPI, didn't get a seed either, showing the committee didn't like mid-majors. Finishing second in a Softball regional is like reaching the Round of 32 in a single-elimination sport, but the difference between that and Women's Soccer is that 32 Women's Soccer and 16 Softball teams survive the first weekend, so our season can continue a week without beating Stanford.

Stony Brook goes to Penn State. If they win a big upset, they and us will go to Stanford, and Stony Brook will face Arizona or TCU.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:Like what happened to Softball recently at Florida, not only were we not one of the 16 seeds, but we have to face the 1 overall seed to reach to final 16. We host Loyola (Chicago) and play a Round of 32 game at Stanford if both teams win the First Round game. Brown, who was 10th in RPI, didn't get a seed either, showing the committee didn't like mid-majors. Finishing second in a Softball regional is like reaching the Round of 32 in a single-elimination sport, but the difference between that and Women's Soccer is that 32 Women's Soccer and 16 Softball teams survive the first weekend, so our season can continue a week without beating Stanford.

Stony Brook goes to Penn State. If they win a big upset, they and us will go to Stanford, and Stony Brook will face Arizona or TCU.
Mixed bag since on one hand thrilled we get to host our first NCAA home game, but on other hand we have no realistic chance to go beyond round of 32 because of how dominant Stanford is. Third year in a row we have been included in the Palo Alto quadrant also which perhaps stems from how there is easier flight access to Bay area from NYC airports.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If all the hosts win, the eight hosts in Rounds 2 and 3 would be Stanford, BYU, UCLA, Florida State, Virginia, South Carolina, USC, and North Carolina. To hypothetically win the Women's College Cup, we would need to win 2 games in Stanford, 1 game at BYU just south of Salt Lake City if they didn't get upset earlier, and the Semifinals and Final in San Jose. I wonder what champion in any sport had the most NCAA Tournament travel in the process. If all the home teams win in Round 1, a majority of the 24 teams who wouldn't not host in Round 2 would have long travel to get there.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We play today at 1:00 P.M. Stanford beat Prairie View A&M 15-0. Catarina Macario had 4 goals and 5 assists. It was the 14th time and first time since 2016 that a woman had at least 13 points. She led Division I in assists before yesterday and took the lead in goals. She has 23 goals and 27 assists. Her 73 points are tied for the 13th most in a season, and that list has some of the best national team players ever. With up to 5 games left, she probably won't break Mia Hamm's record of 97. Passing Christine Sinclair's 88 will be hard considered the difficulty of teams in the NCAA Tournament. Macario could exceed Abby Wambach's 76. Wambach has the most career Women's National Team goals with 184, followed by Sinclair (who's Canadian and active) with 183, and Hamm with 158.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The game is scoreless going to overtime. We have more shots on goal, 5 to 4.

Edit: At 93:22, Sabrina Bryan won it assisted by Bella Richards and Miri Taylor. Up next is one of Hofstra's hardest games in history in any sport. I wonder if we've ever played a team who won their previous game by as impressive a margin in another sport as Stanford's 15-0 win in soccer is.

I edited Wikipedia because it mistakenly said we got an at-large bid.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

On to round 2!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Even if we get blown out at Stanford, we made three consecutive tournaments and won a game in the last two. I wonder how many teams can say that.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I wonder how many other past HU teams, in any sport, have won three consecutive league titles, and then won games in the NCAA Tournament? Coach Simon is a great coach, congratulations to him, his staff, and all the young ladies on his super team. My thoughts are what the heck, if you are a competitor, go against the best and see what you got. Good Luck to HU Women's Soccer!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Great hard fought win! Congratulations to Simon and his team...don't get why we host a game and then need to fly 3,000 miles to play the number one team in the country.

We deserve better than that!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This team returns the entire starting lineup next year.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Great opportunity to show what you've got against the best.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Shadow toanswercyour question Softball and Bill Edwarda won 11 straight conference titleswhic is an NCAA record in Softball and Im sure has won at least 11 straight games in the aNCAA tourney
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to Simon and the team! Maybe they will be on ESPNU @ Stanford.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Stuball888, Wow, That is quite an impressive record for Coach Edwards! I guess that's why the HU softball stadium is named after him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

By making three consecutive tournaments and having wins in two consecutive tournaments, I was referring to active streaks by each school's Women's Soccer team, not streaks by Hofstra in any sport.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

It was an incredible atmosphere at game and so excited that this amazing program finally got to experience an NCAA home game. Stanford is a Herculean task, but am thrilled they will get a chance to compete in an amazing environment like that.

On a separate note, this could arguably be best two-day stretch in recent Hofstra sports memory between Alex Masai winning Northeast Regional championship on Friday to reach NCAA championships stage and then this dramatic women's soccer NCAA win at home. Two others that come to mind that in my opinion don't quite match this:
- Nov. 14-15, 2015- women's soccer advances past Georgetown on penalty kicks in NCAA first round followed by men's soccer winning CAA title against Delaware, 2-0.
- May 12-13, 2001- softball rallies to win America East title 4-3 in extra innings against Towson followed by men's lacrosse pulling a Mother's Day miracle with 15-14 overtime win against Virginia in NCAA first round where Pride rallied from five-goal fourth quarter deficit.