MBB Game 22 - @ W&M - 1/28/15, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: MBB Game 22 - @ W&M - 1/28/15, 7 PM

Post by Hofstra »

This defensive effort so far has been atrocious.. Worst game of the season so far.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I wonder if Jeff Hathaway even looked at JAM's defensive statistics at Niagara before hiring him, since he apparently didn't have the team play any there either.

At halftime, we're shooting 50% from the field…. and we're still down 20…

4/13 from the free throw line… a whopping 31%...
Last edited by ProudofPride on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

we give up 54 pts in first half. Yes W&M shot well, but we played terribly. Zero defense and poor shot selection. It amazes me that these guys who are supposed to be such great shooters can take shots an miss everything....and these are not always highly contested shots. BAD....BAD.....BAD
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I'm sure the extra travel day and long bus ride didn't help us prepare for this game. We can only hope that we learn from all of these defeats and play better in the tournament.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wow - this stinks!

We lost 100 - 79!!

21 points!!!
Last edited by daHUPride on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is really pitiful... The staff and team should be embarrassed that they don't know how to effectively play an ounce of D1 defense - absolutely SHAMEFUL

These guys couldn't shut down a closed garage door much less a competitive opponent

Made W&M look like the next Kentucky - ridiculous

But like I said after the last aweful loss to JMU, I've changed my eval of this teams potential - they ain't winning 3 CAA games in 3 days being 1 dimensional and streaky - you'd think they'd understand that by now and start changing...

They are quickly going from a real contender to maybe a mid pack team - SAD.

And they're not playing Walker because of what again?? Absolute waste of a yr - I don't see anyone who's so called 'ready' on this team right now esp in the post. If he wasn't 'ready' should've redshirted.

No surprised at all this after the last atrocious losses, but man is it disappointing - team needs some new life, or they will be sitting at home come March - hope they realize that.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This coaching staff better be utterly embarrassed, along with the whole team. Too bad they're flying home, a bus ride would've allowed for much more time to think about this loss.
Too add insult to injury, even Drexel was able to beat Northeastern… we're basically the laughing stock of the league at this point.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito, I agree. This game was garbage. The effort this team gave tonight is sad.

Why can't this team play Kone and Rok down low AT THE SAME TIME???? Pass into the blocks, and kick out for a wide open 3 ball? I can not understand this.

Also, having Walker on the bench? What for? Kone and Rok are playing soft at times because of foul trouble, let this kid play. Ready or not, we look like crap lately anyway.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:This is really pitiful... The staff and team should be embarrassed that they don't know how to effectively play an ounce of D1 defense - absolutely SHAMEFUL

These guys couldn't shut down a closed garage door much less a competitive opponent

Made W&M look like the next Kentucky - ridiculous

But like I said after the last aweful loss to JMU, I've changed my eval of this teams potential - they ain't winning 3 CAA games in 3 days being 1 dimensional and streaky - you'd think they'd understand that by now and start changing...

They are quickly going from a real contender to maybe a mid pack team - SAD.

And they're not playing Walker because of what again?? Absolute waste of a yr - I don't see anyone who's so called 'ready' on this team right now esp in the post. If he wasn't 'ready' should've redshirted.

No surprised at all this after the last atrocious losses, but man is it disappointing - team needs some new life, or they will be sitting at home come March - hope they realize that.
I am with Polito - No "D"; "Mid-pack team"; "disappointing"; and "need new life".

Walker? What a shame. Even Gonzo gets in for a minute, fouls a guy and gets yelled at every game - like Gonzo foul makes more of a difference then the way Green plays and never gets railed by JAM.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Look this team isn't winning the CAA based on what they've shown in conf - they'll be lucky to have a shot at the NIT because I don't see them taking the #1 spot winning the reg season either

I think with the guys they have to not make the NIT would be a travesty, but honestly it's very doubtful - right now I think they're going to have to fight to find 4-6 more winnable games out of the remaining 9 just so they can be selected to play in one of those crap tourneys nobody cares about

But that's where they are, sadly.

And I agree, rewarding sh!t D effort with no break in PT is not appropriate - expect more discipline from JM and staff - have the balls to sit some 'star' guys when they deserve it - this game was a joke, a blowout, get some other guys some real PT for goodness sake

Sigh. Not much else to say really. Sad state right now.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

William & Mary made 64.8% of their field goals, which is the highest by a Hofstra opponent since at least 2000-2001.

Hofstra is in the bottom half of the RPI.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Giving up 100 is embarrassing. Terrible start- they lacked confidence, intensity and effort in the 1st half. I'm losing some faith in this staff. The last 3 losses are on them. I don't see any adjustments. Nichols starts every game and then never sees the court in the 2nd half. Jamal Robinson is not a strong shooter yet has the worst shot selection I've ever seen. No Walker. No Kone and Gustys at the same time. It's the same thing over and over. This is the only team I've ever seen that can shoot 50% from the field and be down 20 during a game because the opponent is shooting 65%.

I'm with Polito about expectations. I thought this would be a down year in the CAA but this league is not just W&M and NE. JMU and UNCW look solid as well. We could easily be a middle of the pack team. The only positive is we have a month to turn it around, to figure something out. Because right now, the arrow is pointing down.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Maybe Coach Kilburn-Steveskey could do a defensive clinic with the men, or at least teach Coach Mihalich what defense is. The women haven't allowed any team to shoot 50% or more since 2012-13, a span of 50 games, per the game notes for tomorrow. The men on the other hand, it's surprising when they allow a team to shoot 50% or less, at this point.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We have the talent to be a top echelon team in the CAA. Time to make some adjustments and man up. Liked us playing man the second half of this game...we were much more active and played better. Agreed with most of you that our defense is atrocious and we rely on too many threes but we get W&M and NE at home and there's plenty of time to right this ship. We have the talent, now let's do it.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Did W&M need to score 100 points tonight? The WRHU announcers said JAM was steamed at Tony Shaver for running up the score.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:Did W&M need to score 100 points tonight? The WRHU announcers said JAM was steamed at Tony Shaver for running up the score.
if that's the case, mihalich is focusing on the wrong things.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Exactly! Oh, boo hoo, they ran the score up on us. We deserved it for that piss poor effort!

Coach said about this game, right after the JMU loss, "We'll find out what we're made of."

Well, I guess we did. And it's not pretty. Not at ALL.

After a 4-0 start, this team is in disarray right now. Better figure it out before Baltimore or it'll be a major disappointment. The past three years were expected. This season is a huge opportunity that is beginning to slip away.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hope that's not true because that would be absolute horse s... Considering that's what HU spent most of the OOC doing to others - they got a nice taste of their own medicine tonight and I hope it stung like a beotch

Glad you have hope HUSID cuz I just don't see it at this point - they've produced ZERO home court advantage and it's very late in the season to be banking on them learning now... This is when things are supposed to be coming together and they're coming apart... Not good and its all on them - I'm not convinced they have enough talent - yes there is talent but haven't seen them prove its enough to win the CAA - all we've heard from JM is that he has 9-10 starters...really?? Then why do I keep seeing the same 6/7 guys?? Whats the use of having some depth if you never play them - and if this staff thinks they're winning this conf without using depth and playing 6-7 guys they are very very wrong - that should be OBVIOUS by yr 2

so far they've lost to the conf top half and proved little - and spare me the CAA being better than expected - it isn't - its still a shadow of what it was with the big 3 - no excuses - the issue is that HU is not playing up to par and taking advantage of a down 1 bid yr

Sucks as a fan, but hope and imagine they feel it more - and they should - to have no effort on D at this level with this supposed amount of talent is an embarrassment - and if they continue refusing to adjust or improve or change or mix things up they'll continue this downward spiral - and hey I'll be bummed but I have many other things to concern about - they'll be the ones sitting at home watching other teams play in march going woulda shoulda coulda

Last thought is around Green once again not stepping up to lead 'his' team - instead he again proves he's a ton of talent with painful inconsistency and inability to put a team on his back when need most... A lot of pressure but that's what the team leader is supposed to do - this team doesn't have that - ugh, this really is so disappointing...so deflating on a once very promising yr.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

The sad part is the defense is as much effort as it is talent (maybe more), so clearly they aren't putting up the effort which is a really bad reason to be losing these conference games. JM needs to find a lineup that can D up. As we have seem the offense is streaky at best and we cannot outscore teams as clearly shown against NE and W&M.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

OK all you doom and gloomers, did you notice that DREXEL beat Northeastern last night???? This league is WIDE OPEN and there for the taking. Sure we looked like crap last night and blew two other games but ALL of the teams in this league will do the same. We need to focus on what we do best and from my perspective we play man to man better than any of those other crap defenses...all we do is get burned with them. Come out and play MAN...Man up boys!

And Polito we are playing an EIGHT man rotation and right now we are not getting much from ANYONE on the bench. Agree that Robinson looks lost, even Nesmith is not what he was and Rokas can't make a layup...it's also funny watching him try and chases guards out on the perimeter...THAT's why are bigs are getting in foul trouble...they are CHASING guards! Last night I would have played man straight up and put Nichols on Thorton...Every time he guarded Thorton good things happened...I think we need to get back to some basics beginning SAT...get some wins and some confidence and we'll be OK. Not predicting a CAA Championship but we'll finish better than where we are now.