MBB Game 19 - UNCW - 1/17/15, 2 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB Game 19 - UNCW - 1/17/15, 2 PM

Post by daHUPride »

Ugly.
Nicols played well. Green seems to get a pass from JAM on all his mistake - when if it were anyone else making the same errors JAM would be all over them. Kone also played well.
Bad loss.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Second game in a row that JAM has said in the post game presser that someone missed a defensive assignment.
Polito

Post by Polito »

First, what the heck happened to Gustys tonight?? Non factor??

Second, for the love of all things will someone PLEASE ask this staff why the hell Walker isn't getting action?? This makes NO sense at all - this team needs help done low, need bigs desperately and Walker has talent - really hurting this team because Rokas is clearly not ready for prime time yet...

Green was playing well last couple of games, guess he had a bad night

UNCW is a tougher team than record shows, clearly, as they just beat 2 of top 3 on the road

But HU def needs to get their ish together these next couple of home games - I think they will, not panicked, but I will say this team has a couple of flaws (as all do) that better teams have recognized - they need to get the post positions solidified and stop all this out of position nonsense - i get it if they have no one, but they HAVE Walker and they need to get this kid some PT

Shots clearly won't always fall, so there has to be some balance developing - great to see Kone playing well and Nichols finally have a decent game - he's been MIA for who knows how long - I don't trust they they will be able to shoot their way to 3 straight wins in 3 days - they need these big men and an inside out game

Close loss today, could've won, but bottom lone is they need to improve some things and get back on track
#ROLLPRIDE
Cards

Post by Cards »

Was at the game today - first chance to post.

As others have noted - Green, Bernardi, and Gustys all ploayed subpar. Only highpoints were Kone and Nichols (for a brief period in first half). This far into the season, it is clear to me that although Nickols is very athletic and at times can shine, generally speaking he lacks basketball savy and makes too many poor basketball decisions. I would say that Kone was the lone bright spot for the day. he moved well, was energized, played good defense (against guys that are his size - Gettys, being much bigger is a tough match up for him).

I was very disappointed in Green today.This is not the first time (as many on the board have correctly commented) that he was not the "go to" guy. His last shot of the game was pitiful, as was the shot selection (rushed 25 footer that missed everything). There were 20 seconds left on the clock and we were down by 3. Plenty of time to look for a good shot and hopefully better shot execution.

I still can't figure out why Walker does not get some minutes (at least a few each game). With Kone and Gustys getting 9 fouls together, maybe a few minutes from Walker could have save a foul or two and helped Gustys stay in the game or allowed Kone to play tough defense until the end (with 4 fuls Kone backed off on aggressive defense at the end of the game).

I guess what has me most concerned is the lack of ability to close the deal and complete with the better teams. This stat tells it all - we are 3 and 6 against teams with RPIs better than 200, and 10 and 0 against teams with RPIs worse than 200. WOW! We're not talking 3-6 against the top 50 or 100.......we're talking 3-6 aginast top 200! I know this is still a rebuilding year, and our general record still looks good, but this one single stat shows our overall weakness as a "tournament" team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Not to pile on after two losses in a row, but I am concerned that we are not a better team entering the final third of the season.

When two or three of our shooters are "on," our offense compensates for our lack of defense. But when our shooters are not on, as was the case today, we have no reliable inside presence to carry the load.

If Walker's not hurt, why not give him some minutes -- even a start vs. Drexel -- to see what he can do? As Cards pointed out, Walker was an effective defender earlier in the season. He doesn't have to score a lot if he can block or deflect some shots.

Kone flashed some nice offense today, his technical foul notwithstanding. Let's hope he can build on this performance and help lead the team to a strong finish and playoff run.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I'm just disappointed that this late into the season, we still haven't figured out how to play good enough defense to make up for nights when our offense isn't clicking. We allowed UNCW to shoot almost 50%, which is never acceptable, but especially not the game after allowing Northeastern to shoot 64%. I hoped something would've changed in the few days off.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Here are my very amateur grades after 2/3 of the season:

Tanksley (A) a better player then I thought he'd be, very impressive season so far

Nesmith (B+) a great 6th man, tough on both ends, as great of find he was for us last year he is more important this

Nicols (B) very active player, my eyes most athletic player we have, offensive game needs work, would love to see him come in as a unit with Nesmith

Kone (INC/B-) also very active, seems to be losing the cob-webs after his long layoff from injury, would like to see him playing power-forward (to Gustys/Walker in the middle)

Gustys(B- tough player, needs to work on his offensive game, not afraid to mix it up, rebounds and have seen him pass well out of the high post

BenardiB- has a great stroke, streaky like many shooters, needs to able to create his own shoots or find space to get open more for passers

RobinsonB- struggling in his Soph year and new roll, like his game, but not sure his roll with this team

GreenC- I believe talent wise he is our best player but stat wise no so, he is pressing and causing to many errors from a player of his caliber, doesn't seem to get the wrath of JAM that other players do when they make mistakes, we need him and we need him to play better

WalkerINC/C- if you were to tell me he wasn't going to play at all this year and red-shirt I'd be OK, but to not be playing him at all (20 minutes in the last 8 games or so) is perplexing to me and risky to his future with us

GonzoINC/C- not fair for me to grade him as I have seen so little of him, nice size for the position

JAM-game coachingC there are times I think we have lost games with strategy and lack of preparedness, expected more from our staff with this years talent

JAM-recruitingB+ they have been able to bring the talent in
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I don’t think this was the coaching staff’s best day. Why did Nichols play only 3 minutes in the 2nd half? He had his best half of the season in the 1st half IMO. Then he had a turnover on a fast break early in the 2nd half and didn’t see the court until the final minute. Meanwhile Bernardi played 34 minutes and had 4 pts. Joe yelled at him pretty good on a missed defensive assignment at the end of the game, but why was he in there to begin with? If he’s not scoring, he should be substituted out late in these close games on defense for Nichols. Especially when we were in desperate need for some stops. Joe was asked in the post game about Nichols 3 minutes of PT in the 2nd half and he responded with we needed more offensive firepower. No, we needed some stops, put Nichols out there. What good is scoring 80 if we are going to give up 80?

Which leads to Walker. There is no explanation for why he isn’t seeing the court. Gustys fouled out in 10 unproductive minutes. Could Walker be any worse than that? Meanwhile we have 6’ 7 Kone on UNCW’s version of big country. Outscored 40-18 in the paint, I guess we are not going to make any adjustments. I would have liked to see Walker out there. If he looks overmatched, take him out. But there is no excuse for him to not see the court.

And finally, what happened to Tanksley? In the final 7 minutes he didn’t attempt a shot. Coach doesn’t mind Green who is 29% 3pt shooter just chucking shots up in crunch time. Can we design a play for Tanksley? He's shooting 50% from 3. And if that’s not there, he can certainly drive to the basket. Why did we not get him the ball in the final 7 minutes?

Bad job by the staff yesterday.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The last two games has exposed our porous defense. Our guards cant keep the opponent guards out of the paint. Once in they have no fear of their shots being block. If they miss their center or power forwards are there to clean up the miss. Now our next to games are against JMU and Drexel. If you did not see when they played each other, the half time score was 17-12. These teams cant hit the broad side of a barn.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Dooku25 wrote:I don’t think this was the coaching staff’s best day. Why did Nichols play only 3 minutes in the 2nd half? He had his best half of the season in the 1st half IMO. Then he had a turnover on a fast break early in the 2nd half and didn’t see the court until the final minute. Meanwhile Bernardi played 34 minutes and had 4 pts. Joe yelled at him pretty good on a missed defensive assignment at the end of the game, but why was he in there to begin with? If he’s not scoring, he should be substituted out late in these close games on defense for Nichols. Especially when we were in desperate need for some stops. Joe was asked in the post game about Nichols 3 minutes of PT in the 2nd half and he responded with we needed more offensive firepower. No, we needed some stops, put Nichols out there. What good is scoring 80 if we are going to give up 80?

Which leads to Walker. There is no explanation for why he isn’t seeing the court. Gustys fouled out in 10 unproductive minutes. Could Walker be any worse than that? Meanwhile we have 6’ 7 Kone on UNCW’s version of big country. Outscored 40-18 in the paint, I guess we are not going to make any adjustments. I would have liked to see Walker out there. If he looks overmatched, take him out. But there is no excuse for him to not see the court.

And finally, what happened to Tanksley? In the final 7 minutes he didn’t attempt a shot. Coach doesn’t mind Green who is 29% 3pt shooter just chucking shots up in crunch time. Can we design a play for Tanksley? He's shooting 50% from 3. And if that’s not there, he can certainly drive to the basket. Why did we not get him the ball in the final 7 minutes?

Dooku as for Nichols JAM said in the presser that he took Nichols out because they changed defenses and he does not play that particular defense that well. Bigger question was why was he bringing ball up against their press. That led to a couple of turnovers and bad plays on the offensive end.

And ye sI agree that Walker should at least be getting a couple of minutes in there...we'll need to ask that question at the Pride Lounge on wed...Speedy said all were healthy for the game Sat so their is no injury there.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:The last two games has exposed our porous defense. Our guards cant keep the opponent guards out of the paint. Once in they have no fear of their shots being block. If they miss their center or power forwards are there to clean up the miss. Now our next to games are against JMU and Drexel. If you did not see when they played each other, the half time score was 17-12. These teams cant hit the broad side of a barn.
The CAA seems to be a league of haves and have-nots. NE and W&M lead the pack at 5-1, and Hofstra, JMU and UNCW are one game behind at 4-2. We saw how tough UNCW played yesterday, and JMU looked pretty good last night winning by 17 vs. Elon, so I wouldn't take them lightly. Next Saturday's game has all the makings of an old-fashioned rock fight.

Whether Elon, Drexel and Delaware (all 2-4) or Towson and Charleston (both 1-5) can make a run remains to be seen.

Good analysis of yesterday's game by Big Apple Buckets:

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2015/01/hofst ... s-to-uncw/
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Agree with the sentiments posted - been saying it for weeks - Coach's teams play NO defense- didn't at Niagara either. He's committed to the style of outscoring the opposition - henceforth he'd rather play small (essentially 4 guards) rather than Nichols with Kone or Gustys. Re Walker - been concerned for weeks he needs to play even if it's 4-8 mins. Why would a kid with his talent sit on the bench for 2 years (he won't play next yr either with Clemson transfer eligible) at Hofstra ? Agree he should have been Red Shirted rather than Green Molded
Re UNCW - they have talent and depth - Won at NU and had Mary down 20 at their place. Had a bad feeling about the game and unfortunately I was Wright. Should be OK next 2 as neither has fire power to beat us here. Don't see a "rock fight" vs JMU at all - that's just not the way Coach's team plays.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Z its not called a rock fight anymore. It is now called a "MUD RUN". Slow and sloppy.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:
Dooku25 wrote:I don’t think this was the coaching staff’s best day. Why did Nichols play only 3 minutes in the 2nd half? He had his best half of the season in the 1st half IMO. Then he had a turnover on a fast break early in the 2nd half and didn’t see the court until the final minute. Meanwhile Bernardi played 34 minutes and had 4 pts. Joe yelled at him pretty good on a missed defensive assignment at the end of the game, but why was he in there to begin with? If he’s not scoring, he should be substituted out late in these close games on defense for Nichols. Especially when we were in desperate need for some stops. Joe was asked in the post game about Nichols 3 minutes of PT in the 2nd half and he responded with we needed more offensive firepower. No, we needed some stops, put Nichols out there. What good is scoring 80 if we are going to give up 80?

Dooku as for Nichols JAM said in the presser that he took Nichols out because they changed defenses and he does not play that particular defense that well. Bigger question was why was he bringing ball up against their press. That led to a couple of turnovers and bad plays on the offensive end.

And ye sI agree that Walker should at least be getting a couple of minutes in there...we'll need to ask that question at the Pride Lounge on wed...Speedy said all were healthy for the game Sat so their is no injury there.
heard what coach said - about change of D and Nicols wasn't in because of that change - but we were winning with the 1st half D and lost the game with the 2nd half D - bad call by JAM...

like what "Z" said about Red Shirt vs Green Mold and Walker - I am not liking it nor understanding it.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

stuball888 wrote:Z its not called a rock fight anymore. It is now called a "MUD RUN". Slow and sloppy.
Wed (Dreck) might be slow but JMU on Sat will be anything but.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Caches explanation of not playing Nichols in second half (except for a couple of minutes) doesn't make sense. What? he has trouble playing a zone defense? We gave up more points with that defense than th man on man. We needed Nichols in the second half. What happened to all you guys drinking the cool laid in the early part of the season. Our guys did not play well and we weren't coached well. Lets see if we can turn it around in the next couple of games and I mean huge victories, And what about Walker? is he in the doghouse without a door for how many games?
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: JAM said in the presser that he took Nichols out because they changed defenses and he does not play that particular defense that well.
That was in response to my question about that -- the second part of Coach's response to that question not mentioned above, which you can hear in the presser (or which you can simply read below) made me scratch my head:

http://www.nysportsday.com/2015/01/18/u ... o-hofstra/

“We changed our defense (switching to a zone),” Mihalich explained, as the reason for Nichols seeing such limited time in the second half after playing so well prior to that.

Although, given Nichols’ rare first-half outburst for a player that entered that game with a 5.8 scoring average, Mihalich added some peculiar reasoning for the lack of Nichols’ second-half playing time, saying, “We just have a little more offensive firepower when the other guys are in the game.”