MBB Game 30 vs. Drexel on February 28 7:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hof_Judge99

Re: MBB Game 30 vs. Drexel on February 28 7:00 P.M.

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

HUSID74 wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Wow you guys are simply amazing! We just won the Goddammed CAA Championship and you'd think we lost a play-in game!
Yes we made mistakes and we made some dumb plays at the end but we WON and that's all that matters. Maybe we can relax a bit now and get back to playing like we did during the streak.

Oh and by the way, the guy you were carping about who fouled out took this team on his BACK in the second half and singularly won this game for us!

KUDOS TO JUSTIN11111

No one is doubting Justin’s ability, he’s one of the great players in program history and has carried us on his back for years but good god, how do you explain fouling there? Or even contesting that at all? I’m happy we won but since the 30:00 mark of the Charleston game things have fallen into pieces. Hope they can get the mojo back.
I'll take falling to pieces by winning the League every year...only second time in 18 years!

No one is doubting how great of a regular season its been, we’re just concerned about the trajectory of the team. We went from blowing teams like UNCW, Drexel, Towson and JMU out to needing life support to beat them. Worst time to be playing your worst. The good thing is we have it in us to be the best team in the conference, I just wanted to see signs we were getting back to that level and despite the win I didn’t see that.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To All, On the GoHofstra website, it sounds like Coach Joe has the same view. Time to fix the problems before Sunday, March 10th at noon.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Do anyone think Ray should start over Coburn? Just seems like JR is giving us more right now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:Why the heck do you guard guys under the basket with 1.2 secs left - You stand out by the 3 pt line and wait for them to come to you! Just dumb - Got lucky he missed wide open look. Not to mention JWF fouling 3 pt shooter (and fouling out) Does anyone know how to play this game ?
I don't know what's going on with this team lately. These were about the worst things they could've done to end that game. They're very fortunate they got out of there with the W.

Also, how many times do they go for the first fake so easily instead of standing their ground and staying home? They fall for it so easily, and then the shooter is able to easily create enough space of that to get open look after open look. Not to mention the rotations and help are lazy and slow. They are just so out of sync. They are playing some of their worst ball down at the worst possible team. Northeastern just the opposite. Joe was right when he said NU was the team to beat right before HU had it's 16-game streak snapped in Boston. Their best shot is that NU and CofC have such a battle in the semis that it'll be tough for the winner to also beat HU the next night. Although, that may not be such an advantage if HU has to likely survive a battle of its own against W&M, if it comes to that.

Coburn once again did nothing. I keep saying that they go as he goes. Tonight was the perfect example. JWF, Buie, Pemberton, Taylor all had good contributions, but Coburn wasn't involved much again and they had a tough game that they nearly lost. When Coburn is contributing offensively and on the glass, engaged, involved, and is energetic defensively, they have been a different team and have won easily. He is the key to this whole thing because you can usually count on the others. Can they count on Coburn on North Charleston? HUGE question mark.

Awesome that they won at least a share of the regular season title for the second time in only 18 years in the CAA, but this team is not playing well. At THIS point, they are not ready for the CAA tournament. And there aren't a whole bunch of chances to GET ready.
Don't forget about Jalen Ray...he scored 10 off the bench and made two key free throws down the stretch...either he or Coburn need to make some noise or we are in trouble.
Nice to know though that we have the best player in the League to rely on in the crunch...scary that he fouled out...I believe for the first time in his career...Evan?
Didn't forget him, but I was talking about the starters. Ray can be a huge factor in the CAA tourney with his shooting and with his D to an extent, but he doesn't rebound or provide the same toughness or energy for others to feed off of the way Coburn can when he's involved and playing well. The problem is Coburn has been drastically inconsistent for too long after sparking them so much during the winning streak. Whatever they have to do to make him a lot more part of the game at each end (and really, I think it just has to come from him), they have to do. Without that, I see them having a very tough time cutting the nets.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Justin was simply amazing in the second half today. Awful/Bonehead play by fouling on that 3, but a HUGE block in the corner, and he was just getting buckets the entire second half.

Congrats on the #1 seed, but the way we played tonight, and as of late, it looks like we are a lock for the NIT. I hope I am wrong. We have to fix our defensive struggles. They were picking apart our zone tonight. If Drexel had any shooters, we lose this game by 15. I totally agree with an earlier poster, I was at the game, and was shocked when we had guys on the line with 2 seconds left, and up 3. Made ZERO sense. These defensive lapses, and bonehead plays must be addressed before Charleston. Also, we fouled players shooting 3's three times tonight I think.

Dont want to end my post negatively, because tonight was a great night to be a Hofstra fan. So proud of this team to lock up the 1 seed. Jalen Ray was great tonight. Had 2 really nice stretches of ball.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Hofstra, Thanks for reminding us about HU now clinching the fallback automatic bid to the NIT.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:To Hofstra, Thanks for reminding us about HU now clinching the fallback automatic bid to the NIT.
Was going to mention that after the win, but I have a thing about not mentioning those three letters in relation to Hofstra until the CAA tourney is over.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Do anyone think Ray should start over Coburn? Just seems like JR is giving us more right now.
Not a bad idea.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:Do anyone think Ray should start over Coburn? Just seems like JR is giving us more right now.
Not a bad idea.
I thought about this during the game for the same reason mentioned above, but I don't think they can. They're already going small with a four-guard lineup. If they start Ray over Coburn, that's swapping a 6-5 guard for a 6-1 guard. Then they are REALLY small and create some tough size matchups that opponents can exploit. The only hope is somehow getting Coburn to get back to the way he was playing before. He's letting his whole game (including defense and rebounding) suffer if he misses a couple of shots early. He can't do that. Some things (like the defense, rebounding, energy, toughness and aggressiveness he brought before) should remain constants whether he's making jumpers or not. I also think Ray is best in his role as spark off the bench. But he seems like the type of baseball players the Mets have had often - great off the bench in certain spots, big help to the team, but when you put them in the starting lineup, they get exposed over time. Also, starting doesn't really matter, it's the minutes. If Coburn starts and struggles in the CAA tourney, Ray can come off the bench and play a little more if he gets hot. Goes against the Mets analogy I just laid out, but if Coburn isn't giving what they need, you have to roll the dice. In that case, they could also limit Coburn's minutes after starting him, keep Ray at the minutes he's at, so he doesn't get exposed with extra minutes, and fill in the rest with Trueheart, who would at least then give them more size than either Coburn or Ray for a few minutes (although, with his style of play, Trueheart plays smaller, despite being physically bigger, than Coburn at Coburn's best).
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I was at the Isles game tonight, mediocre phone service in the Coli meant I couldn't get the video feed going, thanks to Brian (Hofstra) for giving me the pxp down the stretch.

So happy for the guys that we wrapped up the regular season title. Nobody wants NIT, until your only option is NIT, then it's nice to fall back on. Well deserved though, I don't take for granted one bit that we won the regular season title as preseason 3rd, we've beaten expectations two years in a row now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: I was at the Isles game tonight, mediocre phone service in the Coli meant I couldn't get the video feed going, thanks to Brian (Hofstra) for giving me the pxp down the stretch.
What was it like there with Tavares' return? How did the crowd react?
Flying Dutchmen wrote: So happy for the guys that we wrapped up the regular season title. Nobody wants NIT, until your only option is NIT, then it's nice to fall back on. Well deserved though, I don't take for granted one bit that we won the regular season title as preseason 3rd, we've beaten expectations two years in a row now.
It's funny how perceptions change.

Preseason: Picked 3rd, 1st would be great, could understand if they fall just short in the CAA tourney.
March 1st: Been in 1st all season, would be a big letdown if they didn't win the tourney and go dancing.

March 1st: No one wants the NIT. That would be a tremendous letdown.
Late March: If they (perish the thought) don't win the CAA tourney, excited for the NIT, hope we get a high seed and NIT home game, and get on a good run to MSG.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

First and foremost – this is GREAT; a first place seeding. The season is a marathon – and while winning the marathon we also won most of the sprint races too!

This HU is a good team. Maybe we got out of the gate a bit fast and of course leveled off – we have the man power to win this thing this year – but it is going to be tough. Our season and star players are not going to let us sneak up on anybody or be an underdog so we have to battle from a place as the favorite. That said we need to start playing better – like we played earlier in the season.

All that said – you have to be concerned. Again, we have to play better. Win or lose - questioning players actions and coaching decisions – is not unfair – even though we were crowned top dog in the CAA. JFW – bonehead play – yeah really dumb; inexcusable at that point of the game, his having 4 fouls and being a senior – he made A bad play in a season that he has made thousands of great plays – let's move on. Not covering the perimeter with 2 seconds left and Drexel needing a 3 – also left me shaking my head; especially after me being perplexed after last Saturdays last second coaching decisions.

Bad and dumb plays and decisions made by coaches and players if they are accepted are well disguised when we win. But those same bad and dumb things will certainly comeback and haunt teams when they are in close games and will without a question pile up painful losses.

Like Wags – I love the way Ray is playing but I feel his coming off the bench is kind of like a jump start to our offense (or type Vinny “the microwave” Williams he comes in and instantly heats up) and where Ray can also replace almost anyone (except Taylor).

Coborn – is essential to our success – he helps Taylor on the boards; drives, makes contact and draws fouls better most (except Eli). I feel there is a strong correlation to our play this season and the way Coborn plays.
I still love this team – I actually was driving yesterday and thinking how it sucks I wasn’t going to a game last night or this Saturday. I want it this year – for these kids and the way they have played and what they brought to us loyal fans.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

After watching most of this game so many spot on points being made here and I can see how most of us are concerned about our chances going into the tourney. Joe should not be saying at this point of the season he didn't like anything he saw about our D yesterday. If anyone believes that there's a panacea for fixing our defensive woes that can happen in the next week I have a bridge for sale. They played man to man, 1-3-1 and our usual 2-3 but we didn't get the number of stops we needed. Every opposing player against us seems to score way over their average. Yes Justin can carry us but how far against the really solid teams in the CAA? He scored 32 points last night and how many assists did he have(zero). Actually only 4 assists in this game which speaks volumes. A lot of one on one going on. When we tore apart Delaware we played like a team and looked unbeatable. Now I'm scared for our up and coming plight. We appear to be out of sync and to think about drastic changes this late in the game is dangerous. We should be a fine tuned machine right now just very bewildering.

I think Ray should keep coming off the bench for Coburn. There's no need to totally deflate Coburn's confidence right now he's really a feast or famine kind of guy anyway. Joe is not going to give him that much rope if he's not showing up. I think we should do the best we can to tweak our 2-3 and go with what got us here. We have the best offense in this league and our offense either will or won't get us to the finish line. IMO Justin needs to be more aggressive in the first half and score double digits. I just think he is laying back too much in the first half which a lot of times leads to a very close scoring first half. Exception to this would be somebody else coming out of the gate on fire EG Coburn,Eli or Buie.

Just to give everyone a perspective of a team playing D and I know its just one game but last night Elon beats JMU by 15 points playing at JMU. Other worldly Matt Lewis goes 2-8, 1-5 from three and scores a whopping 10 points. Gee that's a far cry from the 40 he dropped on us.

Kudos to us for winning the conference and having a great year but lets find a way to win the war and cut the nets. This may be what we will be remembered for after the smoke clears!!
dan10

Post by dan10 »

Congrats on the win and your regular season championship. Hopefully we do not see you in the CAAT.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The way Coburn is playing, I'd like to see Trueheart get some extended minutes at Delaware on Saturday. Especially since he is a good athlete at 6'8" and blocks shots on the interior. They need help on the defensive end in the worst way right now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:The way Coburn is playing, I'd like to see Trueheart get some extended minutes at Delaware on Saturday. Especially since he is a good athlete at 6'8" and blocks shots on the interior. They need help on the defensive end in the worst way right now.
Yes some of us saying this.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Here's another idea...How about giving the Worm some bur.. He came into the JMU game with infectious energy and made some great plays. Sometimes that's all it takes to get a team going.

I'm not a big fan of his but he is 6-4, athletic and can score...something for Joe to think about.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

dan10 wrote: Congrats on the win and your regular season championship. Hopefully we do not see you in the CAAT.
Thank you. If you want to avoid us you should hope to stay 6th rather than passing Delaware.

We won when JWF was our only starter to make a three.

Taylor is fifth in rebounds per game and close to Pierce and Knight. He has a chance to become the third Hofstra player to finish in the top three in the CAA in rebounds per game after Adeleke and Gustys.

If you think losing to JMU was bad, in the Pac-12 first place Washington lost at California, who entered with 5 wins and had a 23 game Pac-12 losing streak! Considering that the top conferences don't normally have teams who go into February 28 with only 5 wins, I wonder when the last time a team with 5 or fewer wins on February 28 beat a ranked team.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

dan10 wrote:Congrats on the win and your regular season championship. Hopefully we do not see you in the CAAT.
Thanks Dan...nice to see some real sportsmanship on these forums. And by the way, is the only Drexel forum the one on CSNbbs?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I did a search and didn't find any active Drexel forums other than CSNBBS. The attendance was only 1,019, so they don't have many fans.