MBB SOS

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB SOS

Post by stuball888 »

HUSID80 after the lastfew years I would still still welcome post season . We can getinto the NIT with 22 wins but if we fallshort with say 20 wins thosetourneys will be a good experience for thisteam.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I noticed that Hofstra's recap of the Elon game is touting our "best-ever Division I start" and our nation-leading "seven road wins":

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2015/1/10 ... 51429.aspx

While I appreciate the fact that you have to leverage whatever favorable statistics emerge during the season, I would caution against getting too boastful. Whatever records we may be setting, they come as the result of playing one of the weakest schedules in the country. Consider our seven road wins:

at Jackson St,. 4-11, RPI of 269
at Appalachian St., 5-7, 210
at Coppin St., 0-14, 301
vs LIU Brooklyn, 6-7, 240
at Central Conn. St., 4-12, 314
at N.C. Wilmington, 6-7, 177
at Elon, 8-6, 185

These teams have a combined record of 43-64 and an average RPI of 242:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_209_Men.html

Instead of trying to create headlines that are suspect at best, I would rather see us set these "records" without fanfare until we beat a few legitimate opponents ... starting with Northeastern this week.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo after the last few years it is OK to crow a little. Only Fordham had a worse OOC than we had and they came out of it at 5-6. All things considered I say we are further along than expected. I think hell has frozen over. I am the optimistic one and Jojo is the cautious one.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: While I appreciate the fact that you have to leverage whatever favorable statistics emerge during the season, I would caution against getting too boastful. Whatever records we may be setting, they come as the result of playing one of the weakest schedules in the country. Consider our seven road wins:

at Jackson St,. 4-11, RPI of 269
at Appalachian St., 5-7, 210
at Coppin St., 0-14, 301
vs LIU Brooklyn, 6-7, 240
at Central Conn. St., 4-12, 314
at N.C. Wilmington, 6-7, 177
at Elon, 8-6, 185
The game I underlined counts as neutral. Our other road win was at College of Charleston.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ok but our SOS has got to improve after NC State's dismantling of undefeated Duke.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Ok but our SOS has got to improve after NC State's dismantling of undefeated Duke.
Our SOS is still 340th out of 351. Keep in mind that our opponents have combined to play 242 games excluding their opponents' games against us which don't count in our SOS. Our opponents' winning percentage is .3678. One great win by one of your opponents doesn't help your SOS much. We only have 2 wins against teams in the top half of the RPI.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I think everyone is aware that this was a weak schedule. But a good team wins those games, and wins them by 20 or 30 points with regularity. That's exacty what we have seen. So considering the last 3 seasons of misery, I will take it. Next year I would expect a stronger OOC. I think already we are in the Virgin Islands Paradise Jam tournament next season, so thats a start.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our first opponent, Jacksonville, blew a 14 point halftime lead and lost in double overtime. They have the 5th worst RPI in the country.
Polito

Post by Polito »

hey, staff did what they had to in order to produce a winning season again - I don't fault them for it, they needed, HU needed it, fans needed, it was a necessity for a program in perception trouble - all good in my book...

... THIS year. It's clearly produced more wins but they've suffered by not being able to beat anyone of any significance - something I think is going to hurt them in the CAA tourney this year.

But it will not be acceptable next year. They need to get some tough OOC games on the sched and test themselves and start beating some 'real' teams - fun watching them finally win again, but no one's going to give a rip about them beating JU by 30 next year - meaningless then - next year its all about making actual NOISE.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:hey, staff did what they had to in order to produce a winning season again - I don't fault them for it, they needed, HU needed it, fans needed, it was a necessity for a program in perception trouble - all good in my book...

... THIS year. It's clearly produced more wins but they've suffered by not being able to beat anyone of any significance - something I think is going to hurt them in the CAA tourney this year.

But it will not be acceptable next year. They need to get some tough OOC games on the sched and test themselves and start beating some 'real' teams - fun watching them finally win again, but no one's going to give a rip about them beating JU by 30 next year - meaningless then - next year its all about making actual NOISE.
Could not agree more on all points!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Again I will repat myself 18 to 22 wins. I said we will improve but next year is our window to win the CAA.
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:Again I will repat myself 18 to 22 wins. I said we will improve but next year is our window to win the CAA.
Agreed stu - both of us have been prdicting the 18-22 win season from the get-go. If we don't win CAA this year, I'm hoping for the high end of the prediction with a chance at NIT (if our weak schedule and 20-22 wins is even enough?).
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I would be disappointed with 18 wins at this point. That means finishing the season with 4 more wins (unless all 4 come at the conference tournament...). But you're basically looking at best a 4-6 record the rest of the way if they're getting to 18.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraHockey wrote:I would be disappointed with 18 wins at this point. That means finishing the season with 4 more wins (unless all 4 come at the conference tournament...). But you're basically looking at best a 4-6 record the rest of the way if they're getting to 18.
At this point, an 18 win season would be a true 2nd half season collapse. The 18 - 22 prediction that Stu and I have been going with goes way back to teh beginning of the season. Given how the team has been playing lately, I think 6-4 the rest of the way is reasonable (certainly they could do better if they played a little defense). That gets us to 20 Ws with a chance for more in the CAA championship.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Prepare yourself cards, this team is clearly collapsing. 6-4 is a long way off for this group right now. Best hope they can even find 4 more wins, much less 6.

TANKING, and the team has lost it's appeal IMO. No tolerance for or interest in whining and excuse making.

Wake me when they play anything even closely resembling a D. Or when they shoot 75% from all over the court - only 2 ways this squad is going to win anything the CAA - infuriating. I don't know how the staff can sleep at night knowing they just keep doing the same thing again and again expecting a miraculous different result.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito - below is my post regarding the Towson game.

I am tired of "hoping" things will turn around. I am fed up. Tied of hearing how Green is such an elite passer and complete player. He can pass well and knows how to convert after drawing a foul.....but complete player....I don't think so. I'm also beginning to think that Tanksley looked very good early in the season solely because of the level of competition we played. he has not consistently played at that same level since we started conference play. Could it be that the Niagara conference is closer to our non-conference schedule than the CAA is and all the optimism for these two guys was based on playing lesser competition?? I don't know, I'm just asking.....but I have lost patience and confidence in these two.

Shot selection by Green and Tanksley was awful especailly when it mattered. Having 3 pointers blocked or throwing them up and not even hitting the top of the rim (shots hitting the sides)! Dribbling balls off your feet and then looking at the ref liked he missed a call...c'mon....it was pitiful.

And of course - no "D" played again tonight. Same old theme.

and the collapse continues................
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HofstraHockey wrote:I would be disappointed with 18 wins at this point. That means finishing the season with 4 more wins (unless all 4 come at the conference tournament...). But you're basically looking at best a 4-6 record the rest of the way if they're getting to 18.
I'd like to adjust my statement- I'd be THRILLED if they can somehow pull off four more wins at this point.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I have a couple of issues with the coaching philosophy lately. First, I just don't buy the argument that Walker and Gonzalez don't merit 10 minutes a game. They couldn't do much worse than some of the recent performances. Let's at least see if they can contribute if given the chance. Second, the offense has become stagnant...passing around the perimeter. How about running some pick and rolls if in the half court set. Which leads to another point: I thought we had a high energy team that would press on D and run on offense. We do neither. What happened to the fast break?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This team has lost some of its mojo...we're in a slump...we are better than we are looking right now...not sure playing anyone off the bench is going to change that...Have not seen anyone other than Nesmith come off the bench and contribute in a significant way recently and even his performance has withered recently...I think this team has played its best when it plays small and fast...the only thing I could see us do is start Nesmith for Nichols or Bernanrdi...come out pressing all over the floor and look to fast break more...not much else to do with the personnel we have not
Polito

Post by Polito »

look, totally agree, a personnel change is not going to win the CAA, not claiming that Walker is the next Jordan - but for goodness sake this team needs to make some adjustments and he needs to play a few min a game

I also agree that HU was seemingly a better team when Rokas was hurt playing smaller and faster

also agree on the lack of full court press and 'running' O - both have disappeared - WHY???

My overall point is this team is in danger of blowing the ENTIRE season if they don't make some changes immediately. I love the attitude that they still believe they can win the CAA, but there is no justifiable reason for them to believe that will happen by continuing to do the same friggin things every game - something must CHANGE - they just got their butts beat by almost 15 points to a sub average team, at HOME... AGAIN - it's ridiculous.

Hell sit both rokas and walker and go small all the way through if that's what it takes to right the ship - just don't tell me that somehow walker is so lost compared to rokas that he shouldn't play at all - that's baloney.

It is 100% on this coaching staff right now to figure it out - win or lose this season is ALL on the staff based on what I'm seeing right now - they make the correct adjustments and this team gets back on track - they don't, and this team will be spectators in the postseason.