MBB Game 12 - LIU Brooklyn - 12/28/14, 2:30 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Game 12 - LIU Brooklyn - 12/28/14, 2:30 PM

Post by Cards »

Thats right ZMAN3 - I was a baseball player (pitcher) on schalarship (not at HU) way back when. Letting a pitcher go 9 innings in a 10 - 1 game was never done. We would never risk injury to the starter and lose the opportunity for others to get innings for both experience and to stay sharp. I think the parellels here are appropriate.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Is it just me, or does Kone look kinda lost out there? I would have thought that he would be more in the swing of things.

Is it possible that being in his senior year he just wants to get out there and play instead of sitting out more games and fully healing....is he at 100%?

Also nice triple-double for Green. Good to see that kind of effort at both ends of the court. not to take anything away from him, but a 6'2" gaurd getting 10 boards is not a good sign for HU. Under normal circumstances, he should be focusing on scoring and dishing the ball. Hopefully, things will change when Rokas is back and Kone/Walker contribute more.

All in all though, the guys played hard and the shooting was spot on - a good day.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:Evan Tanksley scored 32 not BB. He scored 12.
Not according to our wonderful LI newspaper NEWSDAY which had Tanksley scoring 28 and Green with 15. In addition did you ever try and download the photos that alleged newspaper posts? Forget it, never happens! An embarrassment!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Evan Tanksley scored 32 not BB. He scored 12.
I knew that but I typed my post wrong. My Top 25 comment about BB also should refer to Tanksley.
Cards wrote: Also nice triple-double for Green. Good to see that kind of effort at both ends of the court. not to take anything away from him, but a 6'2" gaurd getting 10 boards is not a good sign for HU.
In 2006-2007, senior Loren Stokes led Hofstra with 5.6 rebounds. He was 6'3''.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

It was nice to see a solid turnout of Hofstra supporters today. I guess it was a good sign when I saw a bunch on the train ride in. We were all treated to an excellent performance. Outside of the first 5 minutes of the game, there wasn't too much to complain about. Glad to see them get back on track. Looking forward to adding Gustys next game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Damn right I would've flipped with another crap performance! First 5 min were atrocious, looked like last 2 games, but team settled and played strong, together, and with intensity - exactly what I wanted to see

And FYI SBU beat an undefeated #13 Washington on the road tonight - thats why i wont be fed bs excuses about HU crapping the bed against halfway decent teams - thats why it's STILL ridiculous that HU couldn't win 1 of USF, Columbia, or LaSalle - none of those are close to Washington, and 1 was at home for goodness sake

Anyway, Tanksley is not loud, flashy, or very vocal so hesitant to call him the teams 'leader', but he is clearly the go-to and the guy who can put the team on his back - he plays a SUPER sound game of bball - high IQ, smooth, and consistent

Green isn't as big of a scorer as I hoped/thought, however he does do all the things a team needs to win - he makes his teammates better - played MUCH better - no dejected whining this time 8-)

Bernardi needs to do more - and I mean that as a compliment - he has ability, would like to see him more aggressive and 'attacking' - was awesome the way the triple double played out with he and Green, perfect scenario!

Kone currently STINKS - completely lost, looked awful again - that's 3 in a row - sorry but was useless

Agree that Eliel and Walker need more minutes in games like these - I know walker is still raw but that kid has talent that can be developed - saw him come in and in about 3 min make an immediate impact in the game with 2 Pt's, 2 rbs, 2 blocks in that time... Fouls yes due to youth but alters a game way more than Kone right now

Rokas looked a-ok to me - will be very interested to see how well he returns - hopefully he's just what the doc ordered!

Roll Pride!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Some thoughts on yesterday/\. I bought my ticket at the gate. I got there early as my daughter was going into the city (MSG) with my grandson to see the Grinch who stole Christmas. The box office was a mess as they didnt prepare to handle the crowd. I was told section 23($40) and 22 ($23) sold out. I was offered section 24 for $42 so I took it. 15 rows up at center court. Watched St Johns dismantle Tulane before Hofstra game. The Barclay center is a great venue for basketball. Not a bad seat in the house. Great sight lines. Also this was a home game for LIU as they put on a great scoreboard intro of the team. Their two guards from Iceland gave a nice greeting to the crowd in their native tongue. I hope Jeff Hathaway took notice. Would e a nice touch at the Mack.
As for the game I agree about Kone who seems to be out of sync. He was outplayed by a redshirt freshman. Rest of team did well and game after the first few minutes was never in doubt.
On Another note, Polito where were you sitting . Looked for you but couldnt find you.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100% about the venue Stu, my first time there and it's a beautiful arena, and great place for a game - would def be good with them playing games there every yr

HU had a very good crowd there, more than I expected - there's renewed excitement around this program, so happy to see that

I had the opportunity to sit behind Bernardi's family (and a few other folks with ties to the program) actually couple rows up from the court, fantastic seats - had a blast, which as you know, I wasn't so thrilled about this game lol

Walker should've started the 2nd half - no idea why he didn't - he earned it, and Kone earned his way to the bench IMO, but for some reason JM didn't do it - but didn't take long for him to take himself out by racking up 5 fouls

He's clueless out there, and quite frankly even when he's involved plays like complete crap. Team needs him, so I'm not calling for him to sit the bench or anything, but that's 3 games in a row, and to me that means Walker needs (and DESERVES) more PT - upside WAY better, and I can accept mistakes from a frosh - not from Kone, no excuses for him

With Rokas return, those 2 should play the majority of the minutes with Kone coming in off the bench for certain matchups, rest, fouls, etc. - I have no doubt he'll have 'his' games where he's the man that makes the impact, but the 2 frosh are the ones who will provide most of the production down low IMO
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Cool "behind the scenes" photos before, during, and after the game. https://hofstrapride.exposure.co/hofstr ... ays-center
Cards

Post by Cards »

very cool chronology - tells a good story!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Not sure how long triple-double stats have been kept, but Hofstra hoops goes back to 1937, and yesterday was the first time in program history that someone posted a triple-double? Shocking.

Anyway, great to see Juan'ya get that on the same day Ameen scored a career-high, in a dominating win, on a nice stage, at Barclays.

Would like to have seen more Hofstra fans attend though, especially since it was a mere 20-min subway ride from Penn Station and there were three other games (four, if you count a high school game afterwards) to watch.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ZMAN3 wrote:
Cards wrote:Glad we won and played OK today. One thing I don't understand is why does JAM not give Walker and Gonzalez more playing time in blowout games like this. He plays Green and Tanksley 35+ minutes and we win by 25. These are exactly the types of games where we can afford to get the freshman time on the court. You know those 2 freshmen will improve with playing time. They are both pretty talented. "E" had a drive to the basket at the end of the game and a pass just before that that show shades of "Pistol Pete". He has a real flare for Bird/Johnson/Maravich type ball handling (hard to see what BB time period I was brought up in!). He could be a real fan draw with more experience and hence likely more success. Same for Walker....why not call a play or two in the last 4 minutes and actually go down low and give him the ball. He's not up against other 6'10" guys....let him take some shots and build offensive confidence (a long 6'10' guy with a 5 foot jump hook would certainly be worth having). We were up by 20, Kone fouls out, and JAM first instinct is not to put in Walker ------I don't get it.

AGREED!! I've run quality (National Championship) softball teams and I always took every opportunity to give my subs ample playing time in one sided games. Just don't get it.
Cant understand it either, especially Walker who was getting more run when Gustys was playing then when Gustys was hurt. In my opinion, Walker not only needs the playing time but we needed him during that stretch.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:
Cards wrote:Glad we won and played OK today. One thing I don't understand is why does JAM not give Walker and Gonzalez more playing time in blowout games like this. He plays Green and Tanksley 35+ minutes and we win by 25. These are exactly the types of games where we can afford to get the freshman time on the court. You know those 2 freshmen will improve with playing time. They are both pretty talented. "E" had a drive to the basket at the end of the game and a pass just before that that show shades of "Pistol Pete". He has a real flare for Bird/Johnson/Maravich type ball handling (hard to see what BB time period I was brought up in!). He could be a real fan draw with more experience and hence likely more success. Same for Walker....why not call a play or two in the last 4 minutes and actually go down low and give him the ball. He's not up against other 6'10" guys....let him take some shots and build offensive confidence (a long 6'10' guy with a 5 foot jump hook would certainly be worth having). We were up by 20, Kone fouls out, and JAM first instinct is not to put in Walker ------I don't get it.

AGREED!! I've run quality (National Championship) softball teams and I always took every opportunity to give my subs ample playing time in one sided games. Just don't get it.
I didn't get it either, but Lavin did the same thing on Sunday. He even put three starters back in, after he had already taken them out with St. John's up 20+ and only about 5-6 min. left.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Per Stephen Gorchov, Green's triple-double was the first ever in Barclays Center's history. No other college or NBA player had one there.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I think Paul McCartney had a triple-double at the Barclays Center when I saw him there last year.