CAA Playoffs - Game 1 vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: CAA Playoffs - Game 1 vs UNCW

Post by triplec2195 »

A very depressing way to end the season and to think with Cacock in foul trouble but you can't win when you don't get stops and couple that with EP having his worst game of the season. If he knocks down a couple of 3's what could have been. Talley had the same kind of game that kid Martin had who plays for Towson. An ugly defensive effort in the second half and Gustys falls 9 rebounds short. UGLY,UGLY,UGLY!!!!!!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Can't win in March when you play that kind of defense. Period. End of story.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Well Z-man I have you beat. Guys I didnt watch the game tonite. Yesterday by sister-in-law was stuck in a blizzard in the Poconos. She stayed at a friends house. This morning she went home to find her house was on fire. She was able to rescue one cat but lost her other pets . Another cat and her birds perished in the fire. She lost everything except the clothes on her back. She is staying with her son in Yonkers then will move in with us after she meets with her insurance adjuster and the fire marshall. A year earlier her daughter my niece lost everything in a fire in Yonkers apartment fire. Now thats bad luck. Sorry guys but everything else pales in comparison.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Well Z-man I have you beat. Guys I didnt watch the game tonite. Yesterday by sister-in-law was stuck in a blizzard in the Poconos. She stayed at a friends house. This morning she went home to find her house was on fire. She was able to rescue one cat but lost her other pets . Another cat and her birds perished in the fire. She lost everything except the clothes on her back. She is staying with her son in Yonkers then will move in with us after she meets with her insurance adjuster and the fire marshall. A year earlier her daughter my niece lost everything in a fire in Yonkers apartment fire. Now thats bad luck. Sorry guys but everything else pales in comparison.
Very sorry to hear Stu, glad your sister in law wasn't in the house at the time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Well Z-man I have you beat. Guys I didnt watch the game tonite. Yesterday by sister-in-law was stuck in a blizzard in the Poconos. She stayed at a friends house. This morning she went home to find her house was on fire. She was able to rescue one cat but lost her other pets . Another cat and her birds perished in the fire. She lost everything except the clothes on her back. She is staying with her son in Yonkers then will move in with us after she meets with her insurance adjuster and the fire marshall. A year earlier her daughter my niece lost everything in a fire in Yonkers apartment fire. Now thats bad luck. Sorry guys but everything else pales in comparison.
Sorry to hear all that bad news Stu yes everything pales in comparison it all becomes relative! It's just a game!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Prayers to your family Stu, thank God no one was hurt

As for the game, man Pemba was AWFUL. That certainly didn't help. But honestly, just can't keep excusing the yearly collapses and failures.

At some point this staff must be held accountable.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito wrote:Prayers to your family Stu, thank God no one was hurt

As for the game, man Pemba was AWFUL. That certainly didn't help. But honestly, just can't keep excusing the yearly collapses and failures.

He was bad today, for sure, but we didn't lose this game today. We lost this game weeks ago, months ago. We don't play defense. If he hits a few more shots, most likely we give up a few more baskets. Pemba has been stellar this year, I won't ride him for his performance tonight. It was bad though.

You're damn right though, when is this staff going to be held accountable? I don't care about nice anymore, I want to win something. I don't even want to play in some shit tournament so Rok can get his rebound record, it would be tainted. We should have won tonight, and he could have had it for real.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

This is as bad as it gets. Think about the big picture. We just lost to a team that graduated Flemmings and Ingram. Lost their great coach (Keatts), and his recruits, and lost a great player who transferred when the coach left (CJ Bryce).. On the other hand, our program was intact, fully loaded... AND WE STILL COULDN'T BEAT THEM. PATHETIC.

I think my criticisms of our coach have been warranted. All along I have been saying I'd give him 1 more year (JWF senior yr) but at this point I'd be fine if they fire him. We are NEVER winning a championship with this staff. You cannot win anything when you play NO DEFENSE. Up 8 at half and you give up 53 pts in the 2nd half. You made no adjustments on Talley and let him score 37 with ease. You lost a game where Cacok was in foul trouble most of the night. This is embarassing.

The in game coaching is just putrid. Always has been. Joe is good guy, he's all class. And he's a good recruiter who brings in good guys who are talented. But his system will never work in the CAA. You have to play defense in this league or these teams will shred you. What good is scoring 80 if you give up 85? It's been 5 years of the same thing Thanks for bringing us back to respectability. But enough is enough.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

New AD soon. Let's see what it implies for this staff.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh FRIG that, if this program agrees to one of those tourneys I will stop support and call for everyone here and everyone I know to do the same.

That would be absolutely 110% bush league embarrassing. They missed the mark, end of season, end of story.

NO BS TOURNEYS. PERIOD.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Dooku25 wrote:This is as bad as it gets. Think about the big picture. We just lost to a team that graduated Flemmings and Ingram. Lost their great coach (Keatts), and his recruits, and lost a great player who transferred when the coach left (CJ Bryce).. On the other hand, our program was intact, fully loaded... AND WE STILL COULDN'T BEAT THEM. PATHETIC.

I think my criticisms of our coach have been warranted. All along I have been saying I'd give him 1 more year (JWF senior yr) but at this point I'd be fine if they fire him. We are NEVER winning a championship with this staff. You cannot win anything when you play NO DEFENSE. Up 8 at half and you give up 53 pts in the 2nd half. You made no adjustments on Talley and let him score 37 with ease. You lost a game where Cacok was in foul trouble most of the night. This is embarassing.

The in game coaching is just putrid. Always has been. Joe is good guy, he's all class. And he's a good recruiter who brings in good guys who are talented. But his system will never work in the CAA. You have to play defense in this league or these teams will shred you. What good is scoring 80 if you give up 85? It's been 5 years of the same thing Thanks for bringing us back to respectability. But enough is enough.
This is the peter principal in action...his dopey no-d, hope to outscore may fly in the maac, but against better competition- well the results speak for themselves. Time for new blood IMO.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Polito wrote:Oh FRIG that, if this program agrees to one of those tourneys I will stop support and call for everyone here and everyone I know to do the same.

That would be absolutely 110% bush league embarrassing. They missed the mark, end of season, end of story.

NO BS TOURNEYS. PERIOD.
I will not attend a CBI/CIT game ever again. The last one against Vermont was a sh*t show.. and seemed fixed by the refs. On to spring training for me..
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wow, very sorry about her house and her pets, Stu. I'm glad she wasn't in the house at the time and I hope she'll be able to sort everything and somehow get back to normal again soon. Yeah, it's just basketball. Your story certainly puts that in its proper perspective.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I do not want to see HU in a CBI or a CIT game. It never seems to be worth it for a tournament that is difficult to remember which teams won in 2017, or in any year. Just concentrate on getting players for 2018-19. To Stuball888, sorry to hear of your family troubles. We all hope you and your family recover as soon as possible. If the CBI or CIT are worthwhile, why are no banners in the Mack Arena for the HU teams that were in those tournaments?
Last edited by The Shadow on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Waiting for the presser to go up...can't wait to see what Joe shovels out. Would love to see him called out...won't happen
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:As for the game, man Pemba was AWFUL. That certainly didn't help. But honestly, just can't keep excusing the yearly collapses and failures.

I'll be honest, Pemba is probably why we lost, he had the worst game of his career tonight on both sides of the ball.

But the game plan sucked too, we're the dumber team yet again, we didn't compete for rebounds in the second half, I think there was a stretch of 5 minutes where we didn't get a single board. We got outrebounded by 16 or 17 in the second half.

Tonight was such a regression from the last 10 games, it's so disappointing. Our foul trouble hurt us, but we let UNCW off the hook with Bryan and Cacok playing with 4 each in the last 7 minutes. We missed 10 FT, they missed 5, look at the final score.

I had serious doubts that we would beat Northeastern tomorrow, I think they're the best team in the CAA by a considerable margin, but we played well enough down the stretch to see what they had in the Semis.

We lost to a bad team tonight though, there's no excuse for it.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

With all that said Iona won as did Fairfield. So either Tim Cluess or Tom Parratta is going dancing this year. Guys thanks for the best wishes It is going to be a hell of a week for my family but we will pull thru it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Polito wrote:As for the game, man Pemba was AWFUL. That certainly didn't help. But honestly, just can't keep excusing the yearly collapses and failures.

I'll be honest, Pemba is probably why we lost, he had the worst game of his career tonight on both sides of the ball.

But the game plan sucked too, we're the dumber team yet again, we didn't compete for rebounds in the second half, I think there was a stretch of 5 minutes where we didn't get a single board. We got outrebounded by 16 or 17 in the second half.

Tonight was such a regression from the last 10 games, it's so disappointing. Our foul trouble hurt us, but we let UNCW off the hook with Bryan and Cacok playing with 4 each in the last 7 minutes. We missed 10 FT, they missed 5, look at the final score.

I had serious doubts that we would beat Northeastern tomorrow, I think they're the best team in the CAA by a considerable margin, but we played well enough down the stretch to see what they had in the Semis.

When you still score 88, you should be able to overcome an uncharacteristic 1/9 shooting night and 4-point game from your second-highest scorer. At the other end, when you're competing for a championship, you're up 8 at the half, and you allow 53 pts on 58% shooting in the second half, it's no way on one play. That's a team failure. Pemberton was awful in this particular game, but he had a good year, and I can give him a pass on this one. A lack of focus and effort defensively, from the coaching staff, to every player on the floor, not just Eli, gave them this highly disappointing result.

Now when I got all that pushback for the 20-pt loss at UNCW on here when I said it was a bad sign that HU wasn't serious about showing up and playing D the way it needed to for a title, people will see why I said it then. I was told it was "the perfect storm" because UNCW had rested for a week vs. HU playing two nights earlier, and a few other excuses. But I was afraid that HU gave UNCW life and confidence in that loss for a potential tourney matchup with them after beating the same team by 20 at home. I was told we should brush it off, it means nothing. I don't think that game meant nothing to UNCW tonight. I think they looked at that game for inspiration and believed they could win tonight. And well, we know what happened. When the signs are there, you have to recognize them and correct them. That's what championship teams do. Non-championship teams excuse the signs away.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:

When you still score 88, you should be able to overcome an uncharacteristic 1/9 shooting night and 4-point game from your second-highest scorer. At the other end, when you're competing for a championship, you're up 8 at the half, and you allow 53 pts on 58% shooting in the second half, it's no way on one play. That's a team failure. Pemberton was awful in this particular game, but he had a good year, and I can give him a pass on this one. A lack of focus and effort defensively, from the coaching staff, to every player on the floor, not just Eli, gave them this highly disappointing result.

Now when I got all that pushback for the 20-pt loss at UNCW on here when I said it was a bad sign that HU wasn't serious about showing up and playing D the way it needed to for a title, people will see why I said it then. I was told it was "the perfect storm" because UNCW had rested for a week vs. HU playing two nights earlier, and a few other excuses. But I was afraid that HU gave UNCW life and confidence in that loss for a potential tourney matchup with them after beating the same team by 20 at home. I was told we should brush it off, it means nothing. I don't think that game meant nothing to UNCW tonight. I think they looked at that game for inspiration and believed they could win tonight. And well, we know what happened. When the signs are there, you have to recognize them and correct them. That's what championship teams do. Non-championship teams excuse the signs away.
I had also harped on the FTs during the four-game winning streak to end the regular season. The wins masked it, but game after game, I was saying they better clean that up or it will bounce them from the CAA tourney. Posted it again before the game today. I remember in past years, there was a debate that FTs don't matter so much, although I think it was a small minority, maybe only one person insisting that.

Sure enough, they mattered a lot tonight:
UNCW: 21/26 (81%)
Hofstra: 14/24 (58%)

HU is the 9th-best FT shooting team in the CAA (68.2%). How did they expect that wouldn't catch up with them? Championship teams don't do that.
Maybe UNCW finishes a magical run now, but I think the consensus is that the champion will now be either Charleston, W&M or Northeastern.
Well, what a shock -- those happen to be the top three teams in the CAA at the line this year:
1. W&M (81.2%)
2. CofC (75.3%)
3. NU (73.4%)

Hopefully, they can work on that in addition to the D next year. At some point, you have to decide you want to be a COMPLETE team in order to win a championship. Can't care about scoring a lot without truly caring about getting stops. Can't care about being aggressive and drawing fouls without making FTs. And you can't make excuses for not showing up for a regular season game here or there when that team you lose to could draw off that in a potential tourney game against you.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:Waiting for the presser to go up...can't wait to see what Joe shovels out. Would love to see him called out...won't happen
I just watched the presser and literally that's all I could do was to watch because the audio hum made the the audio inaudible. Without getting much sound u could tell Joe was distraught and practically crying and the same was true of Justin with his head in his hands and eyes bloodshot. It was a pitiful sight but from what I could gather Joe mentioned poor FT shooting and that they expected to play for championships obviously not being eliminated in a one and done. Hesaid they were clearly outplayed in this game! Really I think we can come to that conclusion on our own. It's ridiculous that they even posted this audio couldn't hear the questions being asked and barely any of the answers. If anyone can clear this up please post something to clear up this mess!! Pathetic!

Quote from Joe after trying a second time to listen to this he says it's very painful and in time I guess it will go away(paraphrased) "It's the time of the year where more things can go wrong then go right" This sounds like a really ludicrous statement?? Just super emotional. "The player on the other team had a career night" Justin was asked a question and I couldn't hear either the question or the answer????? I believe at the end of the interview he made some complimentary comments about Jalen. That's it!!