Game#21 vs Northeastern

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Re: Game#21 vs Northeastern

Post by Captain »

As far as JWF goes, I brought a friend to the Siena game and he is not an HU fan. He started to call JWF "Microwave" since he was instant offense off the bench. Well Microwave was awesome yesterday...right now he is the MVP of this team imo.
A pleasure to watch. (Watch video of Jalen Ray and he is a lefty with very similar skills)
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I wonder how much JWF and Speedy work directly together. If it's a decent amount, that's very promising for the development of all of the young guards that get to work with him, considering JWF scored a total of 44 points last season.
Cards

Post by Cards »

ProudofPride wrote:I wonder how much JWF and Speedy work directly together. If it's a decent amount, that's very promising for the development of all of the young guards that get to work with him, considering JWF scored a total of 44 points last season.
I have no basis for saying this, but I think you are on target with your question PoP. My guess is that other than a big name on a coaching staff used for recruitment, I think this is exactly what is happening. I think Speedy is working with JWF and EP extensively, probably DB as well. Probably not as much with DP because hes a transfer and Speedy cannot reshape his game and skill set in a year or two. But incoming freshman that get 4 years to work with him I imagine would get Speed as excited as the young players. Remember, JWF and DB are the first 4 year guys that speedy has had to develop (others were all transfers, JG, DP, Dion).

I don't know Speedy, but he seems to be a pretty laid back and quiet man. Maybe as a coach, this area of player development is really his calling. Time will tell. But imagine if Ray develops the way we all hope, and DB comes back healthy. That would be a real nice core of guards going forward. I would like to see a little more size, but EP is fine, and JWF does not play likes he's 6 foot, he plays like hes 6'3" or so (great to have an aggressive approach to go with those springs he has for legs).

We still need a solid PG in case DB takes time to return, and JRs lack of experience. Once that is addresses, we need to look for guys to play the 4 (not so much next year, but for long term). Maybe ST fits in there - I just don't know. but even if he does, I think we need to build behind him at the 4.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Good effort by the team yesterday. Let's keep it up.

JWF is a first-team CAA player.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Good effort by the team yesterday. Let's keep it up.

JWF is a first-team CAA player.
On that note, he was named the CAA Player of the Week.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congratulations to JWF! Well deserved honor!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He was co-Player of the Week with Elon's Tyler Seibring.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

JWF was all about being confident enough to take his shot...last year he deferred to a senior teammate.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Captain wrote:As far as JWF goes, I brought a friend to the Siena game and he is not an HU fan. He started to call JWF "Microwave" since he was instant offense off the bench. Well Microwave was awesome yesterday...right now he is the MVP of this team imo.
A pleasure to watch. (Watch video of Jalen Ray and he is a lefty with very similar skills)
As Dooku said, he is starting to look like a lefty Speedy Claxton, the way he finishes around the hoop is very reminiscent of #10.

I love what I've seen from Ray, the coaching staff may ease him in like JWF, but he's got serious skills.

As for the game, definitely a good, much needed W.

Truthfully, the performance wasn't much different than the Towson game, Northeastern just missed some big open shots that got us over the top. We have looked shot in the last five minutes of every CAA game, Saturday was not an exception.

Our offense has been great all year, but the D was atrocious yet again. Hopefully a win changes our fortune a bit over the next four winnable games. 12.5% minutes from the bench is highly concerning, especially when Rok is giving you nothing. 2-7 from the line actually improved his FT percentage to 26%. I was encouraged by the Bernardi performance, we need 15+ from him every single game. Coaching staff should look into subbing Rok and Bernardi late with Jamal and Ty to close out some of these games, at some point you have to have to admit insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.