Game 8 - Columbia

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mike34

Re: Game 8 - Columbia

Post by Mike34 »

Too many fouls right now but for the future for sure.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Eli playing pg now

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

4 fouls in 12 min for both Gustys and Sabety now.

And 43.8% at the line (7/16).

Considering those two things, amazing HU is up 73-64.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

these fouls are pretty ridiculous on both sides now.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:these fouls are pretty ridiculous on both sides now.
But it's hurting Hofstra a lot more, with Gustys out, Sabety and Powers with 4 each, and no one for Columbia with 4 yet, with 2 min to go.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

we blow a big lead, columbia now on a 9-0 run to take a 86-65 lead. JAM should've called a timeout a while ago. Columbia is essentially scoring on every position because we let them score or foul and they make their shots. ridiculous.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

offensive foul on Powers there? What a joke.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here we go again... trying to win 92-90 again, after allowing 53 (and counting in the second half). Columbia shooting 17/29 (58.6%) in the second half.

p.s. Kentucky beat Arizona State, 115-69, last night. What will they do to our defense? 200 pts?
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Hofstra can't even bring up the ball
Wags

Post by Wags »

Well, they did get the win.

The defense is still atrocious. Nothing new, of course.

But entertaining, at least. I wouldn't have thought that they'd have two wins in games in which they allowed at least 86 points. And yet here we are.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wow, ugly, gut-check win, but I'll take it. Teriffic defense on Columbia's final possession. I'm glad this team was able to grit out a win like this, despite it being painful to watch in the second half. We shot 58.5% in the game, including 65.4% in the second half, and out-rebounded Columbia 37-25 despite Gustys only having 5, which is as many fouls as he had in the 13 minutes he played. Definitely a game the team can learn a lot from.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Petrasek 27 pts 0 fouls...
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

The defense is a lot better with Gustys OUT - Greer manning the middle of back line quicker and more aggressive getting to required "spots" RG basically stands like a statue with his hands up trying to avoid fouling. They also played some of their best ball offensively with him off the floor. Lane is open for drives and another shooter on the perimeter. Need to figure out how to break a press - almost cost the game!
Cards

Post by Cards »

The defense is a lot better with Gustys OUT - Greer manning the middle of back line quicker and more aggressive getting to required "spots" RG basically stands like a statue with his hands up trying to avoid fouling. They also played some of their best ball offensively with him off the floor. Lane is open for drives and another shooter on the perimeter. Need to figure out how to break a press - almost cost the game!
The defense was better because Columbia had no inside game - their best big was out at the 3 point line hitting 3's. Greer had a good game, and he hustles, but Greer will clearly not be able to handle CAA bigs that play in the paint.

There were some real ugly stretches in this game. We played acceptable defense only about 25% of the time. I don't understand how our defensive "effort" is so inconsistent. In the end, its a win that we tried real hard to give away to a team that really is not that good!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: we blow a big lead, columbia now on a 9-0 run to take a 86-65 lead. JAM should've called a timeout a while ago. Columbia is essentially scoring on every position because we let them score or foul and they make their shots. ridiculous.
Luckily Hofstra trailed 86-85 when you typed 86-65.

Hofstra won 88-86. There were 102 points in the second half. Hofstra took their largest of the game up 12 at 47-35 with 17:52 left. The lead went down to 1 at 52-51 after a three-point play with 14:20 left, but Hofstra made a three-pointer to go up 12 at 78-66 with 6:57 left. Columbia made a three-pointer, and then Hofstra made a three-pointer for their third and final largest lead at 81-69 with 6:10 left. The lead got smaller, but was still 8 at 85-77 after two free throws after the media timeout with 3:53 left. A three-pointer with 2:06 left gave Columbia an 86-85 lead. That was 22:35 after a Pemberton three-pointer put Hofstra up 29-27, which I hoped would be the last lead change. Columbia wasted their last five chances, with two missed three-pointers, two missed layups, and one turnover. Pemberton made the tying and winning free throws with 1:51 left to go up 87-86, and a free throw by Powers with 1 second left according to ESPN's play-by-play but 2.4 seconds left according to Columbia's announcers made the final score of 88-86.

Columbia players:

Luke Petrasek led all players with 27 points. He made 11 out of 16 field goals and all 3 of his three-pointers. Nate Hickman and Bernardi were tied for the second most points with 21. Hickman made 3 out of 5 two-pointers, 3 out of 5 three-pointers, and 6 out of free throws. He also had bad statistics, with 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 0 blocked shots, and 5 fouls. I don't have a way of checking this, but I'm guessing it's rare to foul out without getting a rebound. Quinton Adlesh did not shoot well and scored 8 points, while tying Powers for the most assists with 8. Mike Smith had 9 points, 5 assists, and 2 steals.

Hofstra players:

Bernardi scored 21 because he made 5 out of 8 three-pointers, but he had many statistics. He made 1 out of 4 two-pointers, 4 out of 8 free throws, and exactly 1 rebound, assist, steal, blocked shot, and turnover. He had a 0 in the fouls column. Greer made 6 out of 8 field goals while having 15 points and leading all players with 8 rebounds. Powers also had 15 points, and he had 8 assists like I said in the previous paragraph. However, he missed all four of his three-pointers, had only 1 rebound, and had too many fouls with 5 and turnovers with 7. Nobody else on either team had more than 3 turnovers. Pemberton shot the ball well and had 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Robinson tied Pemberton with 12 points. He made 4 out of 7 three-pointers and did not attempt any two-pointers or free throws. He had 5 rebounds and led all players with 3 offensive rebounds. Those were the five Hofstra players in double-digits. Hofstra's other 13 points were 6 from Gustys, 4 from Sabety, and 3 from Wright-Foreman. Buie did not score. Gustys had 5 rebounds and 2 steals. It was his fewest rebounds since he had 4 rebounds in an 81-68 loss at Siena on December 9, 2015. That was 33 games ago. Robinson had his most points since he scored 14 in a 105-64 win at Coppin State on December 10, 2014.

Hofstra had a .585 field goal percentage, which is their best field goal percentage since they shot .630 at Drexel on February 15, 2015. That was 49 games ago. Hofstra had a three-point field goal percentage of .480 with 12 out of 25 made. The last time Hofstra had a higher field goal percentage and a higher three-point field goal percentage than today was in an 89-71 win over Long Island on November 11, 2011, which was the first game of 2011-2012. That was 205 games ago. The last time Hofstra had a higher field goal percentage, a higher three-point field goal percentage, and at least 12 three-pointers made was in a 98-78 win at James Madison on February 24, 2007, which was the game before the CAA Tournament. That was 304 games ago.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400919280 is the Associated Press recap titled "Hofstra denies Columbia's late charge for 88-86 win."

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7616 is the box score.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2016 ... umbia.html lists the most points by a Hofstra freshman in a season in the CAA. Pemberton has scored 116 points in 8 games including tonight. If you multiply by 4 to give his current average of 14.5 points per game with 32 games played, he would score 464, which would be the most by a Hofstra freshman in the CAA. Agudio has the record with 452. 6 out of the top 13 freshman point totals were by players who did not play four seasons at Hofstra. They are Kenny Adeleke, Chaz Williams, Halil Kanacevic, Shemiye McLendon, Jordan Allen, and Chris Jenkins. The only current Hofstra players who scored more in their freshman season than Pemberton has already are Robinson and Gustys.

Bernardi passed Carlos Rivera for the second most three-pointers in Hofstra history, and he's only played about 2.25 seasons for Hofstra.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Cards wrote:
The defense was better because Columbia had no inside game - their best big was out at the 3 point line hitting 3's. Greer had a good game, and he hustles, but Greer will clearly not be able to handle CAA bigs that play in the paint.

There were some real ugly stretches in this game. We played acceptable defense only about 25% of the time. I don't understand how our defensive "effort" is so inconsistent. In the end, its a win that we tried real hard to give away to a team that really is not that good!

Whether defense will be better with Gustys or not down the road not relevant - it's better without him now because he currently doesn't play any. I've been pointing out to my friends (a number of whom are on board) the reason zone has been sooo ineffective - and it's because RG does nothing but stand with his hands up trying to avoid fouling - which he generally does - fact remains they were more effective with him off the floor than on - at lease yesterday
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/11/29/me ... umbia.aspx is titled "MBB: Bernardi Shines As Hofstra Defeats Local Rival Columbia."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/h ... 1.12688062 is titled "Hofstra holds off late surge by Columbia."

Hofstra did much better than St. John's yesterday. St. John's lost 79-72 at home to Delaware State. Delaware State plays in the Mid-Eastern Athletical Conference (MEAC), which is last in the Conference RPI, and it was Delaware State's first Division I win. Last season Delaware State was 5-25 against Division I teams, including 1-17 in games at Division I teams, with the seventh worst RPI out of 351 teams. I also wonder if it was the first time a Big East team lost to one of the bottom seven teams in the previous season's RPI.

Delaware State is in a span of 15 consecutive games with one hosting a non-Division I team had 14 away games. They have 59 consecutive days without hosting a Division I team.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I thought the whistle went against us last night too many times (which I will always point out). Besides a few very questionable foul calls on Powers, Sabety and Pemberton late, they also called a back court violation on us when clearly the Columbia player deflected the ball. So to me, not only did we beat Columbia but we also beat the refs.

This was probably the best win of the season in my view. Considering the fact that Gustys was in foul trouble all night, and they still led for most of the game. The offense was cranking on all cylinders. There was even a Jamal Robinson sighting! He played well and took shots in the flow of the offense as opposed to 2 years ago when his shot selection was atrocious. I hope he reverts back to his freshman year because he played winning basketball back then. If we can get consistent production from him this year, it will be a tremendous boost to the team.

Congrats to Bernardi for becoming #2 all time for 3 pointers made. Many here question why he is out there every game for 30+ minutes with all of his flaws on display but the answer is 200+ career 3 pointers. Only Mr. Agudio has more. I know last night he once again had a terrible turnover on the last possession, and the ball always seems to find him late when the other team is pressing, but are we even in this game without him? He had 21 pts and 5 three's which gave us that comfortable lead. I think he should still be out there late because of his free throw shooting ability. He is a risk to turn it over but you can't take a 90% FT shooter off the floor when the other team is in foul mode.

On a side note, I didn't realize Lance Medow was Columbia's play by play man. He does pre and post game for the Giants and he is superb. Sal Licata did the color also. I thought they were very good calling the game.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Lost in all of our game reflections was the injury to Buie...looked like his knee...that is why we had trouble bringing the ball up court against Columbia's press late in the game. Hopefully it's not serious as teams will definitely start pressing us with only one true PG. Anyone hear anything?