Delaware

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Delaware

Post by ProudofPride »

The Blue Chickens' new administration has a pulse! After the previous regime stayed stagnant with the Monte Ross situation for way too long, UD's new AD is making big moves after firing football head coach Dave Brock and long-tenured head volleyball coach Bonnie Kennedy along with her assocciate HC yesterday. For both coaches to be fired mid-season says a lot about this new AD. From a Hofstra perspective, gotta hope Brock lands on his feet somewhere.

http://m.bluehens.com/mobile/ViewArticl ... M_ID=29100&
stuball888

Re: Delaware

Post by stuball888 »

Lets hire Dave as our football coach. Oops sorry forgot we dont have football!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes it's very sad we don't have football...Stony Brook drew over 12,000 for their Homecoming this past weekend against lowly Rhode Island...I remember when we were drawing big crowds to Hempstead and Fall weekends were more than whatever that rapper's name was Fitty ??????!!!!!!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Eh, not sure what it says Pop... I don't see that as anything positive - mid-season firings are ridiculous unless there is a real scandal

What could possibly be accomplished? No one is installing a new system halfway through - it shows the team the school has given up on the season - it introduces doubt into the locker room - shows lack of leadership - could go on...

LSU canning Miles mid-year was just as pointless - does absolutely nothing good - can a coach at the end of the season and start fresh in the appropriate way - that shows a plan, a level of thoughtful leadership, etc rather than some knee-jerk reaction like these 2 schools

And UD is no LSU - the Hens still really look like a mess from my perspective - in major need of real leadership, from the admin to the staffs. They could be starting on the right path, but a mid-season shakedown at an average FCS with no scandal is in no way a good beginning IMO.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

In other Delaware news, the blue chickens field hockey team is playing for a National Championship tomorrow against the Tar Heels. Even though it's not a major sport, that's still awesome publicity for the school and the conference. No matter how much we dislike UD, we should all be cheering them on tomorrow.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agreed. Now with basketball. Delaware has played Bradley our next opponent and beat them by 14 points. If we lose to Bradley, watch out. Wasnt Delaware picked to finish last in the CAA.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Delaware won 3-2! National champions!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

congrats to the Blue Hens and the CAA. Well deserved.aybe now the CAA gets some respect as a conference.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Lol

LOVE your support and passion for HU, but you guys are too funny with this stuff. Sorry fellas, but as I've said repeatedly, this view is very misguided.

I'm sure the benefits of an opponent in the same conf winning it all will just trickle on down to HU any day now. Probably a good idea to not hold your breath though...

Repeat after me: This is about one thing, and ONE thing only --->>> HOFSTRA.

Other members, and this entire CAA conference, have done absolutely NOTHING for the progression of athletic success at HU. N O T H I N G.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I agree with Polito. Very few local fans knew CAA men's basketball in 2015-2016 was the 9th rated conference. How did that help the CAA get multiple bids to the NCAAT? How did that help HU get a home game in the NIT? Most believe the MAAC was more highly rated conference. HU being defeated by Manhattan in 2016, Stony Brook in 2015, and Columbia in 2015 does nothing to add to HU's local reputation. How did having the CAA men's basketball start of the season media conference on WRHU really help HU? I realize it helps the WRHU student announcers gain experience, but does this help HU athletics in recruiting, scheduling, attendance, etc.? How did hosting the New York colleges media gathering aid the program? Will this help HU schedule better local colleges? Where are the gains for the HU men's lax team by hosting the NCAA quarterfinals? Could this program be any more stagnant if the NCAAs were not on campus?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: I agree with Polito. Very few local fans knew CAA men's basketball in 2015-2016 was the 9th rated conference. How did that help the CAA get multiple bids to the NCAAT? How did that help HU get a home game in the NIT? Most believe the MAAC was more highly rated conference. HU being defeated by Manhattan in 2016, Stony Brook in 2015, and Columbia in 2015 does nothing to add to HU's local reputation.
There are things that Hofstra can't change. Among area fans who care about conferences other than the top ones, the MAAC will get attention because 8 of its 11 teams are within 90 miles of New York City. Those teams are Manhattan, Fairfield, Marist, Iona, Monmouth, Quinnipiac, Rider, and St. Peter's. Anybody could tell you that the Ivy League has a team in the area. Even head-to-head wins against Stony Brook don't make it harder for Stony Brook to win the America East Tournament and get the NCAA Tournament attention that comes with it.

Does anybody know the last team from the New York City area in a conference other than the Big East and MAAC to get an at-large bid?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To EvanJ, this still does not answer the second part of the post about how the success of CAA member UD in field hockey does little to help HU MBB in local scheduling, and lack of an NIT home game in 2016. How does this help the MLAX program return to the level from a decade ago? The point was that HU has to control its own destiny to improve, not using other programs success in other sports to improve. The two men's programs with the largest following probably gain nothing from a UD national championship in field hockey. I believe this is along the lines of what Polito was posting.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Exactly.

HU athletic progress has benefited absolutely ZERO from any success of other CAA athletic programs, and from the previously southern-biased CAA admin. ZERO. If you have hard proof otherwise, oh please do share.

Here's the reality: no one in the CAA gives a rip about HU, and therefore, HU should care about HU. All actions and directives should be based on what is best for HU, period.

The New York College Media Day event was a fantastic event for HU, loved it, and want more things like that - it had very little to do with the CAA - I can guarantee you not one CAA school felt any positive effects from it - I don't think UNCW was thinking 'wow, good job HU, way to represent us all! So excited for the trickle down effect of the NY media learning about our great conference - this can only mean more good for the W!'

:lol: :lol: I mean really folks, c'mon already with this.

You know what the W was doing? Worrying about themselves. And that's exactly what HU needs to keep doing.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Polito, thanks for the reality about the nine other CAA programs. I wonder how many other CAA member colleges were pleased that HU hosted their third Presidential debate, or that the Lax program is once again hosting the NCAA quarterfinals. How many knew that HU hosted the 2016 Wrestling Nationals at MSG? I was at a NYC restaurant near MSG last March during the tournament and asked a large group of fans from Pennsylvania representing a few colleges if they were aware of which college was the host. Only one out of the group of about thirty knew HU was the host. I believe this is just what Polito was referencing in his posts. Concern here should be about what is good for HU, not expecting a field hockey national championship to benefit any of the HU programs.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: To EvanJ, this still does not answer the second part of the post about how the success of CAA member UD in field hockey does little to help HU MBB in local scheduling, and lack of an NIT home game in 2016. How does this help the MLAX program return to the level from a decade ago? The point was that HU has to control its own destiny to improve, not using other programs success in other sports to improve. The two men's programs with the largest following probably gain nothing from a UD national championship in field hockey. I believe this is along the lines of what Polito was posting.
I agree. I wasn't trying to say that Delaware's Field Hockey championship helped Hofstra.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To EvanJ, thanks for the support. The last non Big East or MAAC team that went to the NCAAT may have been the Digger Phelps coached Fordham team in 1971. Maybe there is another poster that could come up with a more recent answer.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not you Evan, but others around here keep trying to push this idea and it's baffling to me. It's time we all put this lie to bed for good so we can all stop wasting space about it.

Believing that any success of another CAA school in anything is somehow going to boost HU in any way is kind of like having a firm grasp on an empty sack.

When the CAA as a conference does something tangible to publicly boost HU, then we can re-open this discussion. But I wouldn't bet on that with any of your money, much less mine.

So until then, allow me to drive this home one last time: This is about one thing, and one thing only: H O F S T R A.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Polito, once again I totally agree. In my opinion,this concept has taken way too long to be realized. Any improvement in HU athletics is dependent on the HU administration, coaches, athletes, student body, alumni, and fans. There is a quote from Edith Wharton: "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."