Game 3 - Manhattan

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Game 3 - Manhattan

Post by stuball888 »

Joe shouldnt these auditions be done during practice. How did Powers become the conference player of the year in the MEAC. Is that conference that poor.
rimrocka34

Post by rimrocka34 »

how about playing both bigs at the same time with 3 guards. every time #33 Sabety plays we get some MO.
rimrocka34

Post by rimrocka34 »

need to go bigger. play Rokas & #33 Sabety with 3 guards (1 shooter 2 slashers/handles) DUHHHH
Polito

Post by Polito »

While this wasn't a shellacking, this game was never really close - HU came out and hit a couple of shots and then promptly got into a 12 point hole. Another game where one team looked decently coached, and the other like a bunch of guys who never met each other playing a pickup game on blacktop in the park. Is this a team?? Doesn't look like it.

Manhattan is missing their best player in Rich Williams, lost 40% of their scoring from last yr, and has not a single big with the talent of Gustys. Yet here we are talking about another loss in baffling fashion. Red flags and sirens going off all over the place. Team is in BIG trouble. And this staff is dangerously close to losing this group...and the fans.

Not sure JM is playing with his lineup, he's gone with the same group for 2 games in a row and we haven't seen him change that much in the past. Right now there are a myriad of issues, but the biggest glaring one for me is the PG spot - there is nothing coming from there right now, and it is killing this team. Disappointed in Powers skill set and approach, expected MUCH better, esp after sitting out a year.

This team doesn't have anyone dishing the rock, creating plays, and running the team. Can't be Pemba. You cannot trot a true freshmen out there to run the point, esp when the compliment players are lost. And he's also much more dangerous on the wing - that is natural position and where he belongs, clearly.

That's only even a thought because he's the only player playing worth his salt right now. Rest of team looks like a mess.

Gustys?? Don't think we'll see anymore talk of POY or national rebounding leader. And that's probably a good thing - this team needs to focus on being a TEAM and winning games. Will keep saying, if he's hurt, then he needs to SIT and heal. Not like the team is winning with him. If he's fully healthy then some major game plan adjustments need to occur.

Brings me to COACHING ??? Love these guys too, but c'mon, where is it?? What was done in the offseason?? Where is the organization, the game plan, the plays, the improvement??

I see none. Team was just as lost in this game as the first one. :? :roll:
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

joeg1 wrote: At least we hung in until the final 10 mins. Couldn't help but overhearing more than a few MC fans surprise with the drop off in the team. Also, the Mack is a palace compared to draddy. Low ceilings, the student section makes a lot of noise - about 200 of them- mostly in response to Masiello waving his arms to egg them on. He is a major league tool. Anyway, MC is not very good, but evidently, neither are we right now. Nice to see a good hofstra contingency, including Malik Nichols, who appears to be no worse first wear after the acl reconstruction surgery.
The Mack is a palace compared to every MAAC facility. The few schools that play at decent facilities aren't actually theirs, Siena rents the Times Union Center, and Fairfield rents the Webster Bank Arena. Not to mention, Manhattan's video stream wasn't free. Every CAA school has had free video of almost every event, not just basketball, for the past several years. The MAAC is looking to initiate a program that they provide member schools the resources to have video of up to 30 events per year. Just goes to show the different in the quality of the actual schools and what they're willing to put out for their fans.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

MC basketball uses a gym and has poor videos. FU lacrosse also does not have a 15,000 seat multi use stadium that HU lax has. The question should be why the HU results against other programs have not measured up. Remember both of these universities are private schools just like HU. By the way that "major league tool" Masiello has defeated HU four times in a row. He has won MAAC championships and has gotten to the NCAAT. Say what you will about his faults, but he also deserves the credit. The MC basketball team outplayed HU last evening.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Buie should start. He's a pass-first PG and better defender than Powers.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I know that Juan'ya Green was a special point guard. Last year his pick and roll with Gustys was a thing of beauty to watch.
We have 2 point guards this season...Shouldn't working on the pick and roll in practice be a priority? If the offense does not start to click this will be a long season.
I am hoping that the team (and season) is a work in progress. I liked the team we have on paper. I think both point guards have to step up and run the show. No way is the team as bad as they look now. Work hard, stay together, play some "D"...the season is young.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I was referring to Masiello's overall character and demeanor. Google the whole resume incident when he was first hired

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To joeg1, I was aware of Coach Masiello's background before I wrote the post. The HU arena, stadium, practice gym, web videos, radio station, etc. sometimes do not translate in the results we would like to see in recruiting and team performance.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree 100%, with the facilities HU has and the new practice facility, the results should be MUCH better all around.

These other smaller mid programs playing in middle school gyms or paying to rent arenas are smoking HU on the yearly fight to go dancing. It's quite frustrating to see to be honest.

As the old Wendy's commercials used to say, "Where's the beef????"