Men's Basketball Awards Dinner April 28

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jordan

Re: Men's Basketball Awards Dinner April 28

Post by Jordan »

I have posted this on these message boards prior in the off topic section, but I just really feel compelled to post again after last night. Without over doing it, I just really would love to give our appreciation to Coach Mihalich. This past October, my father passed away. Many of you know him I'm sure, Douglas Walters. His username on here was simply "Doug" and was an avid user here, the CAA Zone, and a 12 year season ticket holder. The biggest Hofstra Basketball fan I know, and has passed the fandom on to me, his 16 year old son. If you'd like to hear more of the story, I wrote an in depth post on the off-topic board a while ago, which I will link here. The main reason I'm talking about this is because of the amount of care this program, and specifically Coach Mihalich, has given us. The moment my mother and I walked through the door into the Garden City Country Club, Jeff Hathaway recognized us, invited over Coach Mihalich, and he greeted us with a warm smile and an nice embrace. He has been caring, in touch, and just thoroughly supportive throughout this experience. Later on in the night, as the ceremonies were getting started, he began the night by writing a sweet, emotional speech, and gave thanks to my father's support for the program, and for us being there through these hard times. This was completely unexpected, and a really great surprise that he did that for us. Say what you will about his coaching on defense, timeout management, or whatever you want to make up and complain about. The fact of the matter is, is that our Athletic Director, and coaching staff is right for this program. They are the perfect fit, and know how to be professional, caring, supportive, and create a memorable season and one heck of a basketball team. I am so glad that they extended his contract. He is one stand up guy, and looking forward to the years to come. I guess this post could also fit in the new Joe Mihalich thread, but overall it was a really nice night and a great season. I feel that their caring gestures should be recognized, and have done a commendable job representing the program and school. They made us feel right at home, in a place I'm already proud to call home.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Thanks for sharing this touching story Jordan. Mihalich and Hathaway are class acts all the way and we are blessed to have them leading us.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Welcome Jordan, God bless you and your family - your dad is missed around here

Extremely pleased that JM is here and will continue to be with his well earned extension!