Game 9 Bucknell

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Game 9 Bucknell

Post by stuball888 »

Another winnable game that could break our scoreboards Bucknell is 2-6 so far and looks like defense is optional They lost to St Francis PA 93-67 and also gave up 102 points although that was an OT game
Jojogunne

Re: Game 9 Bucknell

Post by Jojogunne »

CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Last night's game was supposed to be replayed on SNY today at 2:00. Instead, they are showing Fordham - St Francis. Ugh
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Another winnable game that could break our scoreboards Bucknell is 2-6 so far and looks like defense is optional They lost to St Francis PA 93-67 and also gave up 102 points although that was an OT game
They played a lot of closer games but really against weaker competition but again a lot of teams we play we will be much smaller then. This team who has big players could play to our advantage because of our quickness. Two of their starters are 6'9 and their leading scorer is 6'5. They have another kid who comes off the bench and is 7' and is averaging 21 minutes. This will be an interesting matchup to say the least especially if Cramer is out. Iyiola looks like the layoff for sure has hurt him so it remains to be seen. Dubar at 6'7 then 6'3 guards if Cramer can't play. David vs Goliath once again!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I just saw that, and SNY is showing CAA teams consecutively with Drexel at Princeton after us. If we don't have any more games added to TV, we will have seven televised games, and six will be part of consecutive televised games. None of our last twelve games are on TV yet, but our game at Drexel on February 10 is on NBC Sports Philadelphia+, so I wouldn't be surprised if SNY shows it.

Cramer is in the tentative lineup in the Game Notes.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Another winnable game that could break our scoreboards Bucknell is 2-6 so far and looks like defense is optional They lost to St Francis PA 93-67 and also gave up 102 points although that was an OT game
They played a lot of closer games but really against weaker competition but again a lot of teams we play we will be much smaller then. This team who has big players could play to our advantage because of our quickness. Two of their starters are 6'9 and their leading scorer is 6'5. They have another kid who comes off the bench and is 7' and is averaging 21 minutes. This will be an interesting matchup to say the least especially if Cramer is out. Iyiola looks like the layoff for sure has hurt him so it remains to be seen. Dubar at 6'7 then 6'3 guards if Cramer can't play. David vs Goliath once again!!
And guess who won that historic matchup!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
And guess who won that historic matchup!
Just stating what I'm seeing on paper but my feeling is that this game will be closer then a lot of us think. Quickness and athleticism will trump size especially if that size isn't major athletic but still think this game will be relatively close.
Last edited by triplec2195 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

According to Sagarin we should be 14 point favorites
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:According to Sagarin we should be 14 point favorites
Are you feeling that is accurate? Are we 14 points better then this team? If they don't play D it will be a long night for them because we have a lot of offense especially if Silverio continues to contribute.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm seeing 13.5 points on yahoo this morning. Wow that's a big spread let's not have any let downs in this one.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The wise guys are alot smarter than us...look at the Princeton spread.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Well realistically we should have won the Princeton game by more then we did. We let that kid Davis go off for double his average.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We led 8-0, and it took Bucknell 3:57 to score. Then they went on an 18-2 run to go up 18-10. Hofstra went down 18-15, but Bucknell had a four-point play and two more free throws to lead 27-17. Iyiola has two baskets to go down 27-21, and Cooks will shoot free throws. Bucknell made 5 threes, and we made 1.

Edit: We lead 39-33 at halftime. We missed our first 8 threes and 12 of our first 13 before making 3 of our last 4. Cooks leads us with 13 points, 4 assists, and 2 steals. Estrada scored 10. Iyiola has 8 points and 4 rebounds without a miss. He came off the bench to play 11 minutes. Cramer started, but was on the bench from 11:43 left to 0:50 left. He has no shots, 1 rebound, and 1 block. Silverio had 6, which came from making 2 of 5 threes, and had 4 rebounds. Dubar scored 2 early and didn't score for the last 18:04, and Ray didn't score. Ray shot 0-4, led us with 5 rebounds, and got 3 minutes off. Cooks and Estrada played the whole half. It's a bad sign for Burgess that he doesn't play when Ray isn't shooting well. We shot twos 13-20 (.650), threes 4-17 (.235), and free throws 1-2 by Cooks. We had 7 more rebounds, did not allow any second chance points, and committed only 3 turnovers. Cramer's block with 16:45 left was the only block of the half for either team. Bucknell used ten players.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We led 48-36, and Bucknell called their second-to-last timeout with 17:42 left, Bucknell made their eighth three, and we lead 50-41.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We won 88-69. Estrada led us with 24 points, shot 11-20 (.550), and tied for the lead with 6 assists. Cooks had 19 points and 6 assists. He didn't reach 20 because he made 1 of 3 free throws including missing the first of a 1-and-1. Silverio had 16 points by shooting field goals 4-9 (all attempts were threes) and free throws 4-5, and had 6 rebounds. After not scoring in the first half, Ray shot 4-11 (4-7 threes) to score 12. He had 7 rebounds to lead us for the second consecutive game and lead all players. Iyiola had 8 points without a miss and 6 rebounds. Dubar scored 7. Cramer made his only shot to score 2, had 4 rebounds, and had the only 2 blocks for either team. Burgess played 4 minutes, Hofstra was +1 with him on the court, and the rest of his statistics were 0. We shot field goals 35-68 (.515), twos 22-36 (.611), threes 13-32 (.406), and free throws 5-8 (.625). After missing 12 of our first 13 threes, we made 12 of our last 19 (.632). We had more rebounds 38 to 29, and Bucknell's only 2 second chance points were with 3:25 left. Both teams had a good assist/turnover ratio, and ours was 17/5 = 3.4. Cooks and Estrada had more assists than the team had turnovers. Andrew Funk led all scorers with 28, Jose Adoh scored 15, and Jake van der Heijden scored 10. Andre Screen had 7 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists. Bucknell shot threes and free throws better, but shot twos 12-29 (.414). We had big advantages in points off turnovers (19 to 3), points in the paint (34 to 20), second chance points (11 to 2), and fast break points (8 to 0).

Ray broke a tie with Pemberton and took second on our career games list behind Buie. Ray passed Rick Apodaca for 14th in career points. He's 5 points behind Leroy Allen, and 7 points behind Frank Walker. Normally I would expect their to be big gaps at the top of a list, but we have eight players with 2,015 to 2,513 points, and only three players with 1,500 to 1,999 points.

Here is how individual statistics change:

Cooks: 18.0 to 18.1 points, 4.0 to 4.2 assists
Estrada: 13.3 to 14.4 points, 5.5 to 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 to 4.7 assists
Ray: 14.0 to 13.7 points, 3.8 to 4.3 rebounds
Silverio: 11.9 to 12.3 points, 2.6 to 3.0 rebounds
Dubar: 12.6 to 12.0 points, 6.4 to 6.0 rebounds
Cramer: 7.4 to 6.7 points, 4.5 to 4.4 rebounds, 0.9 to 1.0 blocks
Iyiola: 6.0 to 6.4 points, 7.0 to 6.8 rebounds (he needs to play seven more game to reach 75 percent to qualify for statistics leaders, and is he plays in every game he will qualify after hosting UNCW on January 3)
Burgess: 0.8 to 0.7 points, 3.8 to 3.3 assists
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Just watched the post game press conference. No question on status of Simmons or any of the other players that are on the bench.

In the pride lounge pregame it was asked about Cramer. Apparently he had a knee contusion that just stiffened up on him last game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

For the most part a very pleasurable game to watch with a sizable lead in the second half. Bucknell had a 10 point lead in the first half but we turned that around to lead by 6 at the half. Ray having trouble in the 1st half with no points but looking better in the second half. Such a pleasure watching Estrada do his thing. He's a very smooth guard with a soft touch. He doesn't look like he's exerting himself but scores one basket after another effortlessly and is starting to shoot better from beyond the arc. I Iyiola really gave us a boost coming off the bench and grabbing some O rebounds and scoring of those. He looked much better then the last game. Big games Estrada and Cooks once again. He's so super quick and off steals he creates there's nobody catching him in transition. Just fun to watch both him and Estrada. Just one game after another Silverio has been Mr consistency and is really helping this team coming off the bench. He could be in the running for the most improved player award(Zeke Upshaw). This is no FLUKE guys he's playing with confidence and really contributing and helping this team on both ends of the court. Nice W today and credit this revised man to man which certainly has helped this team.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In terms of most improved player, last season Silverio averaged 4.8 points per game and 2.7 points per team game. In his 2012-2013 season for Illinois State, which was his season before us, Upshaw averaged 2.5 points per game and 1.4 points per team game. Silverio could be a candidate for Sixth Man of the Year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgBsGCDtbKI is highlights.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:For the most part a very pleasurable game to watch with a sizable lead in the second half. Bucknell had a 10 point lead in the first half but we turned that around to lead by 6 at the half. Ray having trouble in the 1st half with no points but looking better in the second half. Such a pleasure watching Estrada do his thing. He's a very smooth guard with a soft touch. He doesn't look like he's exerting himself but scores one basket after another effortlessly and is starting to shoot better from beyond the arc. I Iyiola really gave us a boost coming off the bench and grabbing some O rebounds and scoring of those. He looked much better then the last game. Big games Estrada and Cooks once again. He's so super quick and off steals he creates there's nobody catching him in transition. Just fun to watch both him and Estrada. Just one game after another Silverio has been Mr consistency and is really helping this team coming off the bench. He could be in the running for the most improved player award(Zeke Upshaw). This is no FLUKE guys he's playing with confidence and really contributing and helping this team on both ends of the court. Nice W today and credit this revised man to man which certainly has helped this team.
Yes, Estrada and Cooks can really play. Looks like all the guys are starting to gel and have comfort knowing each others game. It was good to see Iyiola play better than last game. Lots of weapons and playing an upbeat pace makes the guys fun to watch (especially when they successfully close out the second half!!).

Given JR missed the first few games, does anyone think he has lingering injury issues? He seems to be much less inclined to drive and push it to the hoop - just takes lots of threes. Given the team make-up, maybe he doesn't have to drive often, but I thought I recall him being more aggressive (and more often) to the hoop last year. Just wondering.

After many games of watching Omar frustrate and disappoint, I will say that his performance the last 3-4 games has been welcome. Players like him don't usually change on their own, so I gotta think that Speedy has reeled him in and explained how things work when the coach calls the shots. If Omar continues to play this way, I will be pleasantly surprised and give him any props he deserves.

Finally, Speedy keeps emphasizing how he stressed defense to this squad. I must say that I think they have all bought in - the effort on D has been great to see (I know we all have been yearning for it for years!!)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:For the most part a very pleasurable game to watch with a sizable lead in the second half. Bucknell had a 10 point lead in the first half but we turned that around to lead by 6 at the half. Ray having trouble in the 1st half with no points but looking better in the second half. Such a pleasure watching Estrada do his thing. He's a very smooth guard with a soft touch. He doesn't look like he's exerting himself but scores one basket after another effortlessly and is starting to shoot better from beyond the arc. I Iyiola really gave us a boost coming off the bench and grabbing some O rebounds and scoring of those. He looked much better then the last game. Big games Estrada and Cooks once again. He's so super quick and off steals he creates there's nobody catching him in transition. Just fun to watch both him and Estrada. Just one game after another Silverio has been Mr consistency and is really helping this team coming off the bench. He could be in the running for the most improved player award(Zeke Upshaw). This is no FLUKE guys he's playing with confidence and really contributing and helping this team on both ends of the court. Nice W today and credit this revised man to man which certainly has helped this team.
Yes, Estrada and Cooks can really play. Looks like all the guys are starting to gel and have comfort knowing each others game. It was good to see Iyiola play better than last game. Lots of weapons and playing an upbeat pace makes the guys fun to watch (especially when they successfully close out the second half!!).

Given JR missed the first few games, does anyone think he has lingering injury issues? He seems to be much less inclined to drive and push it to the hoop - just takes lots of threes. Given the team make-up, maybe he doesn't have to drive often, but I thought I recall him being more aggressive (and more often) to the hoop last year. Just wondering.

After many games of watching Omar frustrate and disappoint, I will say that his performance the last 3-4 games has been welcome. Players like him don't usually change on their own, so I gotta think that Speedy has reeled him in and explained how things work when the coach calls the shots. If Omar continues to play this way, I will be pleasantly surprised and give him any props he deserves.

Finally, Speedy keeps emphasizing how he stressed defense to this squad. I must say that I think they have all bought in - the effort on D has been great to see (I know we all have been yearning for it for years!!)
In reality Cards if Omar continues to play like he’s playing we will all be elated. His scoring off the bench just gives us another real O weapon and gives our opponents another person they have to stop in their game plan. True?