MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by Cards »

Stu - there is video of him on verbal commits.

Obviously he's a mountain of a guy and not one to get pushed around. Has some decent inside moves. Does not really play above the rim (as you might expect at 290) but kinda plays like RG in that regard. I guess my concern would be can he get up and down the court for 30 minutes per game - he's a big big guy. Does not appear to be afraid to clog up the middle :lol: Shak at HU??? :P
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

My initial impression of this guy is he looks like Andre The Giant on a basketball court! He certainly doesn't appear to be the most athletic!
https://youtu.be/lTcGOj-aYgY
Polito

Post by Polito »

Can't find hardly a thing on Hal Hughes, but some on his program and HC - Scotland Campus Sports is a brand new prep program (about 2 yrs), and has apparently been rising up the ranks... HC Chris Chaney is highly regarded, has won National COY and National Prep Championships - put Laurinburg Institute on the map down in NC, I remember those teams in the early 2000's, they were legendary.

So hopefully this kid is a talent and the program in general becomes a great connection for HU now and down the road.

Amari McCray seems to be a hulk replacement - big body, can block and rebound, offense under the basket seems fine, but basically nothing else - very similar to what HU has now, just probably not as polished I'm guessing - this could be ok as long as the other is the starting athletic type working all over the floor, and a guy like McCray is used in certain spots to beef guys around when necessary.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Can't find hardly a thing on Hal Hughes, but some on his program and HC - Scotland Campus Sports is a brand new prep program (about 2 yrs), and has apparently been rising up the ranks... HC Chris Chaney is highly regarded, has won National COY and National Prep Championships - put Laurinburg Institute on the map down in NC, I remember those teams in the early 2000's, they were legendary.

So hopefully this kid is a talent and the program in general becomes a great connection for HU now and down the road.

Amari McCray seems to be a hulk replacement - big body, can block and rebound, offense under the basket seems fine, but basically nothing else - very similar to what HU has now, just probably not as polished I'm guessing - this could be ok as long as the other is the starting athletic type working all over the floor, and a guy like McCray is used in certain spots to beef guys around when necessary.
This is all well and good but where does KS fit into the great scheme of things? This is a question I've posed in a previous post but nobody wanted to run with it. I believed he would be the 5 coming off the bench a HS type player? Talking about HS he made an impressive play the other day beating everybody down the court on a steal by Justin and Justin got him the ball for a dunk against Towson.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hearing some good things about Schutte...he's improved significantly, gets up and down the floor real well, has added bulk and muscle...still a bit mechanical and lacking some instincts but he has plenty of room to improve and you gotta like his size...when he's next to Rok he's at least an inch taller.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HUSID74 wrote:Hearing some good things about Schutte...he's improved significantly, gets up and down the floor real well, has added bulk and muscle...still a bit mechanical and lacking some instincts but he has plenty of room to improve and you gotta like his size...when he's next to Rok he's at least an inch taller.
Glad to hear good things about Schutte. I like his size/athleticism, he only started playing hoops at 16, so there's going to be a lot of potential growth throughout his time at Hofstra.

Hal Hughes might as well be a ghost, I can't find a video at all.

Looks like he played for the "Sydney Comets" junior team until last year, but I can't seem to find stats, other than he won player of the year. He probably came over here for a season to try to get a D-1 scholarship.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=59744508

But, 6-10 guy who can shoot is what we need, he could just be flying under the radar considering there is little info/tape on him out there.

I'm assuming he's #32 on these instagram videos, but you can't tell much from them: https://www.instagram.com/scotland_hoops/
Cards

Post by Cards »

From a December 2017 review of the players on the roster;

Hal Hughes, Class of 2018
A native of Sydney, Australia, Hughes brings a European guard skill set. He’s a knockdown threat at 6-foot-9, which is why the stretch four is seen as a raw Division-1 prospect with upside. Must embrace physicality and add bulk to a spindly, 185-pound frame.

Can't say for sure, but I think he is Number 10 in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L3Q5IH9zg
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:this guy is he looks like Andre The Giant on a basketball court
Triplec - you had me laughing out loud :lol:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:this guy is he looks like Andre The Giant on a basketball court
Triplec - you had me laughing out loud :lol:

But so true right Cards??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Only concern I would have with Hughes is that he's a stretch 4 - we don't need that, we need an athletic 5. Perhaps he is viewed as a guy who play that role in college??

We don't need a rail thin 5 who's really a 4 and can't hang with the position in the CAA (battling guys like Cacok). Again, just a concern because we know so little right now.

I can't tell because I can't figure out who he is or how to see an ounce of film on him... need that before really understanding what he's all about and whether these scouting reports are accurate.

Anyone have any feedback on Coburn for next year? I liked him as a recruit in HS, big physical guard, curious what value the staff is expecting him to bring, and in what role.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Hughes is athletic and skilled and happens to be 6-10...as they say, "you can't teach height." Don't think the plan is to bring him in as a freshman and have him start banging with the Cacocks of the world.

As we said, we need TWO bigs in this class...my sense is we add a JUCO who can start and bang and another to bring along...based upon what I'm hearing Schutte might be able to fill Sabety's role
garyg

Post by garyg »

At this point we still have 4 scholarships to offer right??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

My count is four but we have not had, recently, 13 scholarships in the progress. My guess is barring anyone we lose, we give three, two bigs and PG?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:My count is four but we have not had, recently, 13 scholarships in the progress. My guess is barring anyone we lose, we give three, two bigs and PG?
I'd agree with this. I feel like the PG might end up being a redshirt guy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote; Anyone have any feedback on Coburn for next year? I liked him as a recruit in HS, big physical guard, curious what value the staff is expecting him to bring, and in what role.

This kid doesn't particularly look like a physical type player but it's hard to assess without seeing him in game action? It seems to me to be a very crowded house here next year with an overabundance of guards with a lot of players looking for some playing time and only one big 5 who the jury is clearly out on. Without knowing who might be coming into the fold could this team be a 4 guard offense with ST playing a stretch 4 if he puts some bulk on. It certainly looks like JWF,EP,DB,JR,ST with KW & Coburn coming off the bench. What role will Radovic have and Schutte? I have seen enough of Radovic to think he's an erratic shooter but he's a savy player who will get you a big rebound and plays some defense. I look at him as more of a guard who if he can bury the 3 could be a valuable piece of the puzzle. If they get a real 5 who's got game then they will have a team similar to our current team but where does that leave all of the guards that we have dividing playing team. A lot of competition appears to be on the horizon and if they get a PG out of H.S. then that could very well be a redshirt situation for him. A real interesting scenario which will probably be a real positive.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You might be right, I believe I am thinking of his athleticism... kid can fly. He is really a 3 point shooter / volume scorer and a solid defender, which is great with his size at 6'5. Can also rebound well. Can put up points, and likes aspects of the PG position so understands the passing game.

Since we were talking about before with others, it was JWF who helped seal the deal for him. Also interesting is that he was expected by all in the circles to sign with Drexel - so much so most programs backed off. Didn't work out, and SBU snagged him. Before committing to HU had heavy interest from New Mexico and Manhattan, but it was HU's original recruiting efforts and his relationship with JWF that stuck out enough for him to make the transfer commit very quickly after announcing.

I love that he has 3 to play, and has sat for a year to get acclimated. He has a nice skill set, although with volume scorers consistency is usually something to work on, but I believe he can make a strong impact and help this team win games. Only started playing in 8th grade, so still a very high ceiling IMO.

Not sure how much PT he gets next year, support of JWF and Pemba I imagine, but his last two I would think it's likely he plays a major role.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah u know much more then the average person about Coburn I looked at his ESPN write up but that's about it. He has good size for a guard so if he could play the point what a huge upside for him but more likely a 2/3 waiting in the wings for Justin to graduate. Where do all these talented kids fit in and a nice problem for the staff to have. However the biggest piece of the puzzle remains yet to be acquired. The real composition of this team remains somewhat in limbo until we see what happens at the 5 spot. It just seems from a practical standpoint there has to be a lot of potential players out there and maybe it's a case of just getting the right one?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:You might be right, I believe I am thinking of his athleticism... kid can fly. He is really a 3 point shooter / volume scorer and a solid defender, which is great with his size at 6'5. Can also rebound well. Can put up points, and likes aspects of the PG position so understands the passing game.

Since we were talking about before with others, it was JWF who helped seal the deal for him. Also interesting is that he was expected by all in the circles to sign with Drexel - so much so most programs backed off. Didn't work out, and SBU snagged him. Before committing to HU had heavy interest from New Mexico and Manhattan, but it was HU's original recruiting efforts and his relationship with JWF that stuck out enough for him to make the transfer commit very quickly after announcing.

I love that he has 3 to play, and has sat for a year to get acclimated. He has a nice skill set, although with volume scorers consistency is usually something to work on, but I believe he can make a strong impact and help this team win games. Only started playing in 8th grade, so still a very high ceiling IMO.

Not sure how much PT he gets next year, support of JWF and Pemba I imagine, but his last two I would think it's likely he plays a major role.
Thanks for the sharing your insight on TC - his addition spreads out the graduating class of our backcourt - of the 6 we lose 2 a year for the next 3 years. I think they'll all get playing time and we will utilize a 4 guard set rather often - as we have done frequently this year. His size with EP and KW gives a different look then when we with JFW, DB and JR. Any big guy looking for immediate playing time has to look here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Timing and Kupsas miss aside, I am going to maintain I have faith in this staffs recruiting, even bigs, which had previously been a weak point here.

Remember, they landed Gustys and Walker the same year - now Walker didn't pan out, but that was two legit 3 star Centers in the same class, one the starter at the premier nba factory prep program in the nation at Oak Hill. NO staff had ever done that before at HU. Ever.

And they had not a single success point to sell at the time, just PT. Program is in much better shape now. Heck Oak Hill was a better team than HU and probably would've beat them at the time lol. And they landed Rok in MAY.

I have full confidence they will land two quality bigs to complete next years team, which I think could be one of HU's best with the level and number of all-conf guard power returning.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

An appearance in the NCAAT would he HUGE for recruiting this spring.