WRHU Sports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: WRHU Sports

Post by Polito »

All makes sense. Not looking to make a big thing of it, I get it.

Again, just looking at it from a different perspective. So perhaps I'm doing a poor job of conveying that lol. My point was about gaining more engaged fans and more MONEY. Making a donation and receiving perhaps a package of tickets in addition to the lounge access, or even separate from it, seems like a great thing to me. But all good, if you all disagree that's perfectly fine - was just a thought for the board.
They already offer multi-game packages, weekend packages, etc.
Do they do that included in a PC donation, or no? That was kind of what I was asking about, and thinking would be a good idea.

Agree fully they are doing more and doing a better job than in the past, I also like a lot of the changes, improvements, promos, etc. No issue from me there at all, and not the purpose of my post. This was just a thought to increase participation and dollars.

And if anyone thinks fans should 'just want to' anything, that is a mistake. That's not how it works, for better or worse. Not for most any school or level. If it was no promo would ever be needed. Sure, winning definitely helps, no doubt. But many schools big and small work their tails off incentivizing left and right to get butts in the seats. It's a necessary thing today.

Again, I think HU is doing a much better job, so really no big issue for me, I was just thinking more about nice ways to INCREASE it all. To help pull people off the fence in the positive direction. And I do believe there are still ways for HU to do that.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:If all season tix holders have access to the Lounge it would be chaos....It's the PRIDE CLUB Lounge so join the Pride Club and get access!
My 6 tickets + pride club membership for the season with two passes to the lounge is less than what I would pay for two people for one game in a box at a Knicks game, where you'd also get food and beer included. It's well worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I would like to get back on topic here and ask what anyone has found out about WRHU carrying post and pre game coverage of our sports especially basketball. When I left the Mack on Saturday I was hoping to get a victorious post game show getting interviews etc only to have to listen to Irish music. What a bummer and a disappointment. I have nothing against the Irish or the music but how great would it have been to get a post game after such a big win.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agreed at this point we need as much coverage for our basketball as possible. I know the people at WRHU look at this board. Can someone from WRHU address this issue
Pride97

WRHU Sports

Post by Pride97 »

I don’t think they even carry the games on the alt channel (it was called HAWK I think?) that was on the WHRU app anymore. I’ve tried it a few times when the islanders were on WRHU and is was just a tone.

I just tried emailing a contact email I found for the radio station to ask the question. Does anyone have any other contact? It’s a big miss for WRHU to not be covering this team on the station. I can’t imagine Celtic music and Doo-Wap are driving great ratings (both were on the last few times I tried listening at game times). If they are trying to get the local community to come, what better way than to broadcast the games to them to get people excited. Not everyone can access the app especially in their cars. They can simply use the audio from Pride Productions at the very least.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Spoke to AD Rick Cole about this yesterday and he is working on it. He seemed frustrated about it as well saying that it's a school asset and it's not being used properly for the sports programs.

He did say that there is a new executive in charge of the station who is a good guy and he hopes to make some progress.

I suggest you all email Rick to give him some more ammunition.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Pride97 wrote: I don’t think they even carry the games on the alt channel (it was called HAWK I think?) that was on the WHRU app anymore.
It was the Hofstra Alternative Web Channel (HAWC).
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

triplec2195 wrote:I would like to get back on topic here and ask what anyone has found out about WRHU carrying post and pre game coverage of our sports especially basketball. When I left the Mack on Saturday I was hoping to get a victorious post game show getting interviews etc only to have to listen to Irish music. What a bummer and a disappointment. I have nothing against the Irish or the music but how great would it have been to get a post game after such a big win.
They absolutely need to get the hoops games back on the radio. It's become an embarrassment that they're not anymore.

And I'm not knocking the quality of the video that is available for free online, the whole platform is great, our WRHU/Pride Productions crew does a great job. But we should have the games, home and away, blasting on 88.7 for locals who are driving around, channel surfing for something interesting to listen to, and for the people that go to the games, to catch a pre/post. WRHU always did such a great job, it felt like a staple of our success, that we had a professional-grade broadcast, conducted by Hofstra students.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Hofstra's offering an Alumni Day on February 9th, $25 pride club donation gets you lounge access pregame, and a postgame reception.

People must be reading the boards!
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Some praise for the station from the Pope himself! https://twitter.com/HerbertSchoolHU/sta ... 37634?s=19
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Some praise for the station from the Pope himself! https://twitter.com/HerbertSchoolHU/sta ... 37634?s=19
Nice, but where were they last night? No WRHU again...no pre-game, in game or post game...no listing in ANY media...our games are a BIG SECRET!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
HofstraHockey wrote:Some praise for the station from the Pope himself! https://twitter.com/HerbertSchoolHU/sta ... 37634?s=19
Nice, but where were they last night? No WRHU again...no pre-game, in game or post game...no listing in ANY media...our games are a BIG SECRET!
I thought Cole was showing interest in this debacle and would try to get some input?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Islanders played during our game. When Newsday wrote about Buie on Tuesday or Wednesday, they mistakenly said last night's game would be on WRHU.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
I thought Cole was showing interest in this debacle and would try to get some input?
He did but come on, buy time on another station and run the web feed. It's not rocket science...all it takes is a little work and a little money.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

There was no postgame talk on the HAWC, either. What a joke WRHU has become.
Polito

Post by Polito »

When your own school doesn't give a rip, and treats this program like an afterthought, can we really blame the community?

Unreal. This is truly shameful - WRHU, you guys read this from time to time, you should be ashamed. Support your fellow students for goodness sake - they should come FIRST, before whatever bluegrass folk community you seem to be playing to 25 hours a day.

Sad but true HUSID, despite all the social media and national media, what's happening here is still largely unknown - there are whispers, people have 'heard', but not enough to cause people to take ACTION, which is the most important part of advertising and marketing.

I think HU has hit the diehards with the social media, hit some of the invested alumni with the emails, and the larger NYC metro area with the national media. But what they seem to be missing is everything in the middle, which is the biggest chunk of people who might actually show up. And hey it's a problem across the board, a lot of places are struggling, not just HU, but the effort and urgency here needs a major uptick.

The local/regional campaign is vital, and HU has done absolutely nothing on that front - literally nothing. When VCU was rolling, even THEY had a NYC campaign - I mean..??

Yes, this area wants to see talent and winning - so HU has that, and yet still there's a gap - I think it has to do with connection - I don't think this area feels connected to HU at all, and that is 100% HU's problem and wrongdoing. Heck I only feel connected because I force my way into that place. Certainly not because of HU courting me. And I'm not alone, and we are ALUMS for goodness sake. That's just a pitiful job on HU's part.

HU needs to court the entire LI community. A million and one ways to do it, just need the right HU people to get up off it and start MAKING IT HAPPEN.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Don't know the specifics of the arrangement with the Islanders but last night the Islander/Devil game was aired and it seems more-and-more HU sports are clashing with the Islander broadcast. I suspect hosting the islanders is a pretty good deal for HU both financially and otherwise but I am just speculating. if anyone has any info or thoughts on this I would like to hear them.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Before the Islanders we used to have simulcast with 1440am and another FM station. Why not now
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:When your own school doesn't give a rip, and treats this program like an afterthought, can we really blame the community?

Unreal. This is truly shameful - WRHU, you guys read this from time to time, you should be ashamed. Support your fellow students for goodness sake - they should come FIRST, before whatever bluegrass folk community you seem to be playing to 25 hours a day.

Sad but true HUSID, despite all the social media and national media, what's happening here is still largely unknown - there are whispers, people have 'heard', but not enough to cause people to take ACTION, which is the most important part of advertising and marketing.

I think HU has hit the diehards with the social media, hit some of the invested alumni with the emails, and the larger NYC metro area with the national media. But what they seem to be missing is everything in the middle, which is the biggest chunk of people who might actually show up. And hey it's a problem across the board, a lot of places are struggling, not just HU, but the effort and urgency here needs a major uptick.

The local/regional campaign is vital, and HU has done absolutely nothing on that front - literally nothing. When VCU was rolling, even THEY had a NYC campaign - I mean..??

Yes, this area wants to see talent and winning - so HU has that, and yet still there's a gap - I think it has to do with connection - I don't think this area feels connected to HU at all, and that is 100% HU's problem and wrongdoing. Heck I only feel connected because I force my way into that place. Certainly not because of HU courting me. And I'm not alone, and we are ALUMS for goodness sake. That's just a pitiful job on HU's part.

HU needs to court the entire LI community. A million and one ways to do it, just need the right HU people to get up off it and start MAKING IT HAPPEN.
You are preaching to the choir brother...I DID THE MARKETING FOR THE JENKINS YEARS ..I know what to do and what it takes, which is not a lot...the school has not ponied up any CASH for marketing and promotion...for God's sakes we cant even get our own radio station to support the program!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Need you back there HUSID!!!! Seriously, would do wonders!