WRHU Sports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Re: WRHU Sports

Post by HofstraHockey »

Just being honest here- if I was a comm major looking to get into the radio industry, I 1000x over would rather say I produced NHL games than mid-major college basketball games. If that is truly what the focus of a university is- preparing students for their post graduate life- then having the Islanders is the way to go.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

AJ agreed but there are additional options on the HAWC or other radio stations who can pick up our broadcast. The University Just has to shell out some scheckels
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Does Hofstra/WRHU get any type of compensation from the Islanders? Obviously besides the priceless experience it gives the students involved.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

ProudofPride wrote:Does Hofstra/WRHU get any type of compensation from the Islanders? Obviously besides the priceless experience it gives the students involved.
I believe Hofstra pays the islanders and then receives money from the advertisements they run. Or as they refer to it the sponsor underwriting that portion of the broadcast. I don’t know if this is done as a break even or if a profit is made.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:Does Hofstra/WRHU get any type of compensation from the Islanders? Obviously besides the priceless experience it gives the students involved.
I believe Hofstra pays the islanders and then receives money from the advertisements they run. Or as they refer to it the sponsor underwriting that portion of the broadcast. I don’t know if this is done as a break even or if a profit is made.
As mentioned over and over again not all our games conflict with Islander games so what is the excuse for playing Irish or oldies music over our basketball games? Seems like a no brainer.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Enjoyed the POSTGAME on WRHU yesterday................... NOT!! Despicable!!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

triplec2195 wrote:Enjoyed the POSTGAME on WRHU yesterday................... NOT!! Despicable!!
I really used to enjoy the post game leaving the packed arena in my car. I'd honestly like to know why they stopped it. The broadcast team covers the game on the internet. Do they do a post-game too? Maybe the department thinks that is the coverage, and if so, fine, but put the info out there, and I'll know where to look. If it's on my phone, so be it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Enjoyed the POSTGAME on WRHU yesterday................... NOT!! Despicable!!
I really used to enjoy the post game leaving the packed arena in my car. I'd honestly like to know why they stopped it. The broadcast team covers the game on the internet. Do they do a post-game too? Maybe the department thinks that is the coverage, and if so, fine, but put the info out there, and I'll know where to look. If it's on my phone, so be it.
Miss it as well Joe lets keep posting how someone dropped the ball here. We have 16 home games some of which conflict with the Islander broadcasts but even so they need to find a way to get these games on so we can listen on terrestrial radio.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I reached out to WRHU and they told me they have a 15 minute post game for every basketball game on gohofstra.com . I will definitely check it out after the game Thursday.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I reached out to WRHU and they told me they have a 15 minute post game for every basketball game on gohofstra.com . I will definitely check it out after the game Thursday.
Why not on WRHU? They can't spare the 15 minutes!
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

I’m a student and I work on RHU (though not so much this semester due to internship requirements) and I know it’s a strict requirement that we have at least a 15 min post game and we usually try to keep the broadcast going until we can get the coaches post game interview. Sometimes we don’t but we do try. And it is true as good as basketball is, having experience with the Islanders is one of a kind and we actually have to broadcast their games as part of our contract. It’s super important for us as an organization and it’s what sets us apart from other schools. I know they do broadcast at least every home game, but honestly not sure how much more we can do as a club. At the end of the day we’re still just students volunteering time and we can’t exactly have an hour post game when we’ve already been in 5 hours into the broadcast. We still have homework to do!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We understand, but the point is that when we don't play at the same time as the Islanders, we should be on WRHU rather than only online.
RIP_HOFUSA

Post by RIP_HOFUSA »

EvanJ wrote:We understand, but the point is that when we don't play at the same time as the Islanders, we should be on WRHU rather than only online.
Yea that's fair, but honestly I do not know who is in charge of those decisions at the radio station. I do know that when you hear those speciality shows on the weekends especially, those are our community volunteers and they basically fund everything for the station. Without them we couldn't really survive, and I know they pay for our trips to travel with the team, so like I understand if we put some shows over the web so as to not interfere with their shows.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I appreciate RIP_HOFUSA offering a student's perspective on WRHU's support of Hofstra athletics, but why doesn't someone from station management take the lead on doing that here?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As we were caught in traffic yesterday leaving Hofstra I was telling my b/i/l how nice it would be to get a post game and some interviews. Put on WRHU and all I heard was the Islander game. Miss it BIG TIME!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

And last night when the Drexel feed stopped I switched to the Hofstra radio feed which was inaudible! Something needs to be done!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I thought I was the only one that lost the feed more then once.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I was rushing home to catch today’s game and I turned on WRHU for fun at 11:45a and a pregame show was starting. Does anyone know if the actually broadcast the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I would be shocked if WRHU had a pregame but not the game.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofstra/ thinks we're guaranteed to win because it says:

"HOFSTRA MEN'S BASKETBALL VS HOFSTRA."
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

So the Islander have agreed to put 60-something games on 1050 AM, but WRHU will continue to produce and broadcast the games. https://www.newsday.com/sports/media/is ... 1.36834026