Transfers and Other Player News

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Transfers and Other Player News

Post by HUSID80 »

Kevin Schutte has entering the transfer portal according to Verbal Commits.

Not a superstar but definitely a good backup to Kante.
stuball888

Re: Transfers and Other Player News

Post by stuball888 »

I think he will wind up where he gets more PT like the AE or MAAC
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So now we are razor thin at the center position. Need to find a couple of bigs
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So any bigs we should go after in the transfer portal or just go with a high school senior and let him develop. Anyone at the JUCO level.
Last edited by stuball888 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Didn't he redshirt his first year - so he may be graduating and starting a grad degree somewhere else, along with getting some more hoops time.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

This is not good. We invested three years developing him. This program is at a real crossroads (obviously) but this is not a good omen in my view. We went from back-to-back regular season CAA titles, a CAA tournament championship and NCAA berth, to a mess for a variety of reasons. Geez, you can't make this stuff up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This seems to be an unusual transfer at least IMO I wouldn't have bet on him transferring unless something is in the works somewhere. Yes he could be a graduate student transferring to a school that offers his major on a graduate level. I think it's a definite loss because he brings so much energy and is a hard worker. His numbers don't tell the complete story but I don't think he will be that difficult to replace. A transfer one way or the other we need an immediate impact player that comes here with experience. Per Speedy no HS players but we shall see what pans out there are a lot of players out there and we only need a couple at least as of right now.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Clearly what we don't want is a mass exodus here and his transferring may have nothing to do with the precariousness of the coaching situation right now just to better himself for more minutes. We don't need to have to rebuild what has been a very nice building of a program by Joe and the coaching staff and if Ray comes back we will be poised to make another run. Lets keep this team intact fingers crossed.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Appreciate Kevin's time here, he was about as good a backup big as a mid-major can expect. Always brought energy. At the same time, he was never going to surpass Kante for meaningful minutes, so it's understandable if he decides to go to a smaller school and see if he can be more of a featured player. I'm with TripleC, his decision may not be closely tied to coaching one way or the other. .
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Hofstra needs to make a coaching decision fast!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Vukasin Masic just entered the transfer portal. I'm kinda surprised with this development.

So beyond the 2 LOIs for next year, now that leaves us with 5 more open slots.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting moves by both... I would love to get Mr Masic's feedback, whenever he feels comfortable to do so.

Could mean a change is imminent. Although not a definite - this could also be the impact of JM's role shift. Whether it's Mike or another staff I think everyone here needs to relax and be comfortable with change. It's life, this is what happens. Ebb and flow. Things don't stay the same forever, and if we keep the right approach it's a window of opportunity.

Let's keep our prayers up and fingers crossed that HU nails this - HUGE moment, especially for Rick Cole. He better do this right. Change is very often a big positive, but it's also of course very easy to screw up by making poor decisions. We need HU's admin, Cole, and JM to make a big time move here and elevate this program to the next level.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

As usual, Polito is spot on. This is "nail-biting" time for this program's foreseeable future. In a prior email I mentioned that Hofstra's programs when they are on the precipice of reaching a higher level usually don't. Hope Hofstra finally nails this pick.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

There are a lot of fish in the transfer portal sea.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jojogunne wrote:There are a lot of fish in the transfer portal sea.
And going to more transfers - more then any other year I suspect - at HU and throughout college basketball

Maybe Ray is coming back and Masic did the math.

Anyway - it is what it is.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

daHUPride wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:There are a lot of fish in the transfer portal sea.
And going to more transfers - more then any other year I suspect - at HU and throughout college basketball

Maybe Ray is coming back and Masic did the math.

Anyway - it is what it is.
That's interesting...

One would think that Masic would only leave for more PT, right? He's not going up a conference level...

So if that's the case, one would think that he must have some insight/inclination that there won't be many minutes next year.

The optimist in me says that this is a good sign that we have less open minutes next year than we'd traditionally think. The pessimist in me says that he secretly just didn't like playing for Farrelly or something else about the program.

We'll see...
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Tyson Walker is leaving Northeastern for Michigan State. That’s good.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Tyson Walker is leaving Northeastern for Michigan State. That’s good.
Saw that - he had a few BIG school offers
Polito

Post by Polito »

Although I definitely understand it, I do still find it surprising so many good players have been leaving NU lately - Cohen is tremendous, the program is ALWAYS right there for the crown, they've have danced recently and likely will again, have proven they can get guys in the league / pros, etc.

It's really a good place to shine.

Alas, it's certainly helpful for HU when their top guys do move on, but as we've seen, Cohen is a heckuva head whistle and rarely misses a beat.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Tyson Walker is leaving Northeastern for Michigan State. That’s good.
"Triply" good for me - Sparty gets their much needed PG, NU loses theirs, and HU's gets addition by subraction :)