Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Coaching search

Post by Hofstra »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/3/19/me ... -role.aspx

Coach Mihalich will not return as coach next season. He will begin a new role as a special advisor. Glad to hear he is healthy enough to assume that role. They are starting a coaching search immediately, but Mike is in charge for now.
HUSID80

Re: Coaching search

Post by HUSID80 »

Yes saw the announcement...great fro Joe!!! He will be a huge asset to basketball and all the programs...Hope they remove the interim tag from Farrelly soon!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If they are starting a national search now they dont have enough faith in Mike to remove the interim from the head coach title. Would like to see Mike get the head coach title asap but if not anyone have any ideas who Hofstra should be looking at? One guess would be Bryant head coach Jared Grasso
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Well, that answered a few of my questions! So, a national search begins! I wonder what AD Cole Jr. is thinking? Where do you see him going? I hope he calls Jay Hernandez, Norman Richardson, Speedy Claxton, and Brett Gunning. Is Coach Mike the front runner, or did the Elon game in the CAAT change his evaluation? Is Cole looking for an established coach, or an assistant from the HU program or another college? What is the budget for the coach? Does President Rabinowitz have the only input, or does Dr. Poser become involved? What is the long term viability of the CAA, FloSports and LSN? I think we all have so many questions. I would like to hear what others think.
Last edited by The Shadow on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Coach Woj from Marquette just got canned. Ton of big time coaches got fired this year. Would love to bring in a top name. I want no part of Farrelly yet.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I'd like to see more of a veteran take the lead. I think we've outgrown turning the keys over to a rookie. Someone comparable to Welch or Mihalich. Like Marteli.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

joeg1 wrote:I'd like to see more of a veteran take the lead. I think we've outgrown turning the keys over to a rookie. Someone comparable to Welch or Mihalich. Like Marteli.

Agreed
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Best of luck to Joe who is a class act and deserves this new position but what happens to our basketball program? This could have been easy for the university just to name Mike the HC but apparently so it appears that this is not a vote of confidence or are they just going thru the motions and will in the end name Farrelly the HC. If not what happens to him and our other coaches including Speedy who's an integral part of the program/culture here. Maybe just as important what will be the fallout if any with our committed players and the the recruits coming in for next year. I do like a former player to be named the coach here if Mike will be bypassed. Wow potential turmoil in an already turmoil filled time.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think we need to take the long view. Don't, get me wrong, we could do worse than Farrelly- I just don't think he should be anointed by default. He seems to be a high character guy, which I think is the first criteria. I'm just not convinced he can run a program yet.

HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I think Farrelly deserves a chance, but makes sense to still do a search and gauge interest. If no home run hires available I would give it to Farrelly for stability.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I dont understand why everyone thinks he deserves a shot?We gave him a shot right? Picked first in the conference preseason. What did he do this year to warrant him being named head coach this year? Elon blew the doors off of us in the biggest game of the season.

We have Jacquan Carlos coming in, which is amazing. We cant sacrifice our future and be afraid of losing a recruit because of a coaching search imo.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Hofstra wrote:I dont understand why everyone thinks he deserves a shot?We gave him a shot right? Picked first in the conference preseason. What did he do this year to warrant him being named head coach this year? Elon blew the doors off of us in the biggest game of the season.

We have Jacquan Carlos coming in, which is amazing. We cant sacrifice our future and be afraid of losing a recruit because of a coaching search imo.
This season was less than ideal to judge a coach due to covid.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HUGE news - this is a MONSTER moment for HU athletics - the biggest opp this school has had in years, it is vital to NAIL this hire.

No rookies, no up and comers, open up the checkbook and bring in a champion - sick of the letdowns, it's time for NCAAT appearances - this program is plenty attractive, has the resources, the location, the positive reputation, the recruiting, there is ZERO excuse for not being at the top and not having an exciting, experienced, pedigreed, proven winner leading this program to the promised land more than once every 20 years.

Time to find out what we've got in Rick Cole - it's game time Mr. Cole, show the muscle you've been brought in for - this is absolute make or break for me in the direction of HU basketball & athletics overall. I wanna see a top flight hire and proof this U is committed to winning at the highest level, not just talking about it.

L E T S G O O O O
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:I dont understand why everyone thinks he deserves a shot?We gave him a shot right? Picked first in the conference preseason. What did he do this year to warrant him being named head coach this year? Elon blew the doors off of us in the biggest game of the season.

This season was less than ideal to judge a coach due to covid.
I dont disagree with the season being less than ideal.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Lots to consider. Farrelly seems like a good guy and at least part of a solid recruiting team. This year's COVID season is just noise, I don't want to take away too much in either direction when the interim head coach is thrown into a maelstrom the moment after the two best players graduate.

I think it's also fair to say that in a vacuum Farrelly wouldn't be considered for a job of this caliber -- he's certainly capable head coaching a program, but would almost definitely be looking at smaller bball schools than HU.

Some questions off the top of my head:
1. How does Speedy factor into all this? He's an outstanding recruiter by all accounts and has been a huge benefit to the program. Does he want to basically keep the same role here regardless of who HC is? Does he have HC aspirations himself?
2. What kind of priority is the new Pres Dr. Poser going to have RE bball? What does school budget look like and what kind of offers can we make in good financial conscience? I have no insight into HU budgets during COVID.
3. How would turning over staff affect recruits? Joe had the luxury of bringing in Juan'ya and Ameen from Niagara, can't assume a new HC has the same instant connections. We have good talent here, some really promising recruits coming in, and have enjoyed the most stable roster of anyone in the conference. What's the risk of having everyone abandon ship if a new coach is hired?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

For those that want a big name. Do you think Hofstra will offer 1.5 million to get the wright coach. Pitino got 1.4 mil from Iona. Remember if a new coach comes in its a totally new staff too. So lets say you give him 1 mil and assts get at least 600K between the 3 assts. Will Hofstra dig that deep. History shows the answer is no. Only reason I picked grasso is that Cole knows Jarred very well from Iona. He is a master recruiter also..
Polito

Post by Polito »

First, let me go back and say THANK YOU to Coach Joe. Helluva guy, who resurrected a program in a dire state with an awful black eye and turned this into a respectable winning program, and ultimately a CAA champion. From year 1 you could see he was going to make the right difference immediately, and he did. I enjoyed the video HU put out, and looking back at Rab's intro, it was 100% true: he did things the right way, and built a winner with outstanding young men, in a time when those things are often forgotten or downplayed. Quality and talent all the way through. It is going to be incredible having him as a mentor for the program, and I am extremely impressed by this path, both by him and by HU. We will continue to be in good hands with the right standards and foundation.

Now to the new era: This is a great thing guys, we need to lose the fear mentality. This is a tremendous opportunity for HU. We just need the admin and Rick Cole to do this right. This hire is different from when they brought in Joe. The needs are not exactly the same, although certainly some carryover. HU should absolutely maintain bringing in the right players - quality men both on the floor and off.

However the need now is not resurrection, it is elevation. HU needs to get over the hump and establish a dynasty. The decades long droughts have to stop. Accepting it has to stop. It's time to level up.

Stu, HU does not need 1.5 million to find a champion HC. Do you know how many NCAAT coaches are out there coaching for around 500k? Outside of the top 25 in the game, the salaries are very manageable. HU can land a top flight guy for 600-800, and that is absolutely in their budget. And yes they can go higher, don't be fooled, it's just a matter if they want to - these contracts can be worked like a rubiks cube, it's all doable. And if they want a major household name / splash hire, i.e. Pitino level, then yes about 1 mil will do the trick.

Look, this is a money game. This isn't D3. D1 requires investment, and it's only gotten bigger over the years. That's the deal. HU needs to win championships and go dancing. Top 5 finishes in this watered down CAA don't mean jack squat. No one cares, and no revenue is boosted. Spend the money and get a proven WINNER in here that will attract top talent and own this mediocre conference.

RP15, Speedy is not ready to be a HC IMO, and even though I would've supported Mike in his shot, I do think he could still use a bit more seasoning. I'm not interested in 'good enough', nor do I have interest in waiting 10 years for everyone to grow into things. It's time to start dancing on a more regular basis.

And I'm absolutely assuming the next HC will bring the right connections - that's part of the hiring requirements process. No newbies. Proven winner with stature. HU's recruiting will be just fine with the right hire. And guys like Carlos just want to shine and win. He can and will still do that here. Add in Joe staying involved at HU and it remains a super situation.

The biggest question you nailed, do we have an admin that is going to treat this program like the flagship it needs to be? Are they ready to stop talking about competing at the highest level and winning championships to actually bringing in the level it takes to do so? Will Rick Cole be given ALL he needs to do this? Will Mr Cole showcase the AD skill to land a coach that will be HU's Cluess / Pitino? This is THE moment for me in HU hoops - need to see high level mentality here.

If HU treats this like mens lax and allows it to fall off a cliff like a bunch of blind mice, I'm out. BIG hire here. Time to show we're really ready to commit to 'ships and dances. It can't be an ask anymore, it has to be an expectation. And yes, mids can, and do, do that. Champs or bust.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Did you guys know Grant just got hired at BC?? Done at CofC. Perhaps I'm late, lol, just saw this - big news IMO. This conf is so wide open for someone to dominate it's not even funny.

There are some really intriguing names on this list for HU - Gregg Marshall please!! (I know, I know...but I'd hire him in a NY minute - worth every risk)

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/coaching-carousel-2021/
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

This is not the same program Tom Pecora left to go to Fordham. Hofstra is not the same University that dropped football in 2009. Those of you who enjoy knocking Rabinowitz need to come to grips that he is leaving Hofstra on rock solid footing, unlike a lot of its mid-sized, private cohorts. Google the list of universities with medical schools- there aren't that many, and it's pretty impressive. I agree with Polito; the small time thinking is (or at least should be) in the past. This is a world class school- not the same place many of us attended. Paying a D1 coach 500k annually (minimum) for the flagship athletics program is not a hurdle we need to sweat.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

What a sad day to hear about Coach M news of his coaching career coming to end.
But when I sat back and reflect this past 8 years beginning April '13 where we were - the struggles - and finishing with a chance to dance - I literally had a tear in my eye. Sad but Happy (and proud). Coach M did everything one could have asked for and MORE. The restored PRIDE back in our program.
Thank JAM.

I really like Farrelly - I would not be happy if he left - but also feel he is (slightly) not there yet.
I also like Speedy - but not sure he has all the tangibles to be a HC - I think he gives instant credibility to our program and what a guy accomplish coming from HU.

It will be interesting to see who HU goes after and who comes looking at HU.

Heres one to think about -

Long Island born and bred
Has NCAA Tourny experience as a HC/Conference HC of the year
HC (interim) experience in the Big10 - kept a team in turmoil focused and competitive
Offensive minded coach
Not a big name guy - kind flies under the radar
Solid reputation

I have heard this story before - similar to our past coach - no?

Jim Ferry - (most recently of Penn State)
https://www.coachesdatabase.com/jim-ferry/