Let's Talk NY/Tri-state Living & Moving Away!

Everything else
Polito

Re: Let's Talk NY/Tri-state Living & Moving Away!

Post by Polito »

Love the chatter, thanks all!

Evan, appreciate the update on your happenings, blessings and best wishes to you and your family with this big change!

Ya know what guys, I hear this all the time from NYers, this better than thou on politics about the rest of the country - I laugh! You cool with the NY state governor and NYC mayor?!? Good Lord I hope not. Here is what I have learned: crazy knows no state boundary nor political party. And I was admittedly naive to this until recently. NY is great, and I align with much of our culture here, but it ain't much better in many cases folks.

I can NOT stand the extremism this country has grown into on BOTH sides. It's pitiful. And therefore I am a much bigger proponent of the 'purple'-ish environments that allow for multiple differing views. And that is largely NC, or at least the RDU region. Fully recognize other parts of the state are likely part of the extremist problem... no doubt there. But just noting the balance in Raleigh. For now at least. This may very well change too.

And I'm clearly not the only one who sees the value in that region - this is some serious stuff, and it's prob the 4th or 5th multi BILLION dollar deal for that region announced just in the past year alone - it's pretty incredible, esp if you are into business as an interest:
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/04/ ... ive-years/

A 1 BILLION dollar AI/Machine Learning engineering campus in the RTP. Incredible. Screws me up though, I got turned on to this area about a year too late I think! :lol: And man, how about Apple, $430B??!!?? Sheez that is absolutely unreal.

I don't see NY landing any of this, and sadly, many businesses are leaving - and I wager with these ridiculous kill the wealth tax plans, many more will go. Jetblue is heavily eyeing exiting NY and relocating their HQ to FL - can't blame them. The best thing NY has right now is blowing BILLIONS on yet another hockey arena for the Islanders? Good gracious... I'm all in for capitalism, but this is just ridiculous - there must be better things we can put that kind of money to - all privately funded thankfully, but still, what a screw with the Nassau Coliseum, which is literally brand new.

So let's not pretend that NY has it's ish together. It does not. :P
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:I'll explain why my parents and I moved. For starters, I will never live independently or get married, and I'm not saying why. I spend 36 years in the same house, and I was never away from home for more than about two weeks. My younger sister Ashley got married in October 2013. Her husband Brian was adopted. Years later, they found his birth family, with a mom and four whole or half-siblings, but he'll never meet his biological dad. He has family in and around Omaha. In August 2017, Ashley and Brian moved to Omaha. Brian was a waiter and then manager at Outback, which let him work in Omaha. Ashley got a job easily. They make a lot of money by Omaha standards, but still can't afford a house. They have a nice apartment, and they were living in a tiny space in the basement of a house on Staten Island before that. Brian's family and the cheaper cost of living made them move. Ashley and Brian are happy with the area, but Ashley rarely gets to see her friends, and she hasn't made friends in Omaha. My parents and I hoped that at some point they would move back east. On September 11, 2019, Ashley gave birth to Madison. My dad had to wait until age 73 to become a grandpa. Late last year, we decided to move to Omaha. Originally we planned to let people think of our house while we are Omaha for Mom's and Ashley's birthdays. A wedding was postponed from August 2021 to June 2022, which took away a reason to spend the summer in New York. We looked for houses on Zillow, and we found a great house with a seller who wanted to sell quickly. We finished agreements to buy a house and sell a house on the same day. We sold a house of 2,000 to 2,100 square feet for $650,000 and bought a house of 3,900 to 4,000 square feet for $477,500. I don't remember the exact sizes. On Tuesday April 27, we began a long car trip. We arrived on Friday, and Mom's birthday was Saturday (yesterday). We are in a hotel until a moving truck brings our things.

In terms of sports, I don't want to see Creighton (which is in Omaha and is in the Big East with St. John's) or Nebraska (45 minutes away in Lincoln). I would like to see Omaha (state school also known as Nebraska-Omaha) that plays in the Summit League, so it would be mid-major games like I'm used to. Omaha does not play Football, but I would consider seeing them play Men's Hockey. The Summit League has Oral Roberts, who won two NCAA Tournament games, so maybe I will see some of those players at Omaha in the winter. The other place we can go for sports is Kansas City, and we saw the Royals in 2018 and 2019. In 2019 the Yankees came back and lost walkoff in the tenth. I am hoping that the US Men's National Soccer Team (USMNT) plays World Cup Qualifiers in Kansas City this year or next year because they have played in Kansas City before. I've seen the USMNT once, but not in a World Cup Qualifier. Kansas City is the only big city within five hours of Omaha.

I may never see Hofstra play again. It would be good for me if they went to Nebraska, Kansas State, or Wichita State.
Good luck with your new adventure and I hope you stay active on the boards. Hopefully some Hofstra sports will head your way in next few years. Volleyball played Nebraska in NCAA Tourney in 2014 and 2018 so that is always a possibility.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I considered asking my sister and her husband to see Volleyball at Nebraska, but I had no idea that they average over 5,000.

I will keep posting. With Softball not being as good as it used to, I probably won't post much until the fall.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:I considered asking my sister and her husband to see Volleyball at Nebraska, but I had no idea that they average over 5,000.

I will keep posting. With Softball not being as good as it used to, I probably won't post much until the fall.
Hopefully there will be plenty of positives to post about with both soccer teams this fall!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Circling back around to this one...

Recently was in Greenville, SC - have to say, it was really nice, much better than expected. Awesome main street, cool / modern vibe, pretty area, great people. I'll def return for a visit. If anyone's down that way, or would like feedback for a visit, let me know.