Let's Talk NY/Tri-state Living & Moving Away!

Everything else
Polito

Let's Talk NY/Tri-state Living & Moving Away!

Post by Polito »

No politics this time lol, let's try another big topic nowadays, and one I am supremely interested in:

To stay, or not to stay, THAT is the question!

With so many in the northeast (and the west coast) fleeing high cost of living and migrating in record numbers to more southern locales, I'd love to get thoughts and opinions from this board. We have friends, a number growing each week it seems, that are making the plunge, taking advantage of the insanely hot market and selling their house here to move to one of the hot spots in what is likely becoming the 'new north' (lol didn't coin it, but love it!)

Places like Nashville, Charlotte, Charleston, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, South FL, and more are absolutely BOOMING with big city transplants, including some in our network - it's incredible actually, this is a mass migration like no other in our modern era from I what I can tell.

This has sparked a lot of interest for me, I have begun going down this insanely addicting rabbit hole, thinking of the possibilities and options... I am exploring so much that my wife and I may do a scouting trip or two here in the coming months just to see how we 'feel' about certain areas. I am really locking in on NC, especially the Raleigh-Durham area... it's so appealing in so many ways it's impossible for me not to consider at this point.

To be clear, we actually really like living in LI - there's a lot of great aspects to it, and hey we've become spoiled by the ease of access of things that isn't always replicated in most other parts of the country. We love a lot of things, but man the taxes and the cost is just becoming hard to ignore. We are fortunate and do well, this isn't a claim of poverty or seeking sympathy at all, more that it's become really hard to stomach things as you look at the long-term and how best to create any sort of wealth, to reinvest your hard earned dollars, or take the best care of your family possible, or even to have an ounce of respectable retirement without working until your days are done. It is so insanely difficult here to just stay on the 'average' line (for this area), so challenging to live well, that I'm finding myself really interested in a better way. We know a couple of millionaires (not us lol) that don't live as big as you'd think because of the cost, and that to me is ridiculous. Like I'm really questioning now why are we doing this to ourselves?! LOL :lol:

I'm driving my wife NUTS lolol - she's NY born and raised, so there's obvious concern, but she started checking the home market and had to admit she's become equally intrigued - me being from VA it's much more palatable. We do have certain requirements, so we've found there really aren't many areas we think either of us could truly acclimate to - and we are very much family people, and the entire fam on both sides is either in the tri-state or VA, so this self-limits our options.

Anyhoo, would love to hear your perspectives!!
EvanJ

Re: Let's Talk NY/Tri-state Living & Moving Away!

Post by EvanJ »

I have a story to share, but not yet.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito I understand your dilemma. If it werent for my kids and grandkids we would have been gone a long time ago.So just to give you some background my real estate taxes for my home is around 12,500. That is cheap for my area. A handyman special on my block just sold for 580,000 with real estate taxes at 18,000. MY block also got its first appraisel for over 1 million dollars. I sat down with my landlord to discuss future rent payments on my business in Bellmore. he showed me his tax bill from 2 years ago and this years. His tax bill went up up 17,000 in the two years. Thats insane.
So if you aree looking at the Raleigh- Durham area may I suggest Cary. Its in the research triangle between Duke ,North Carolina and NC State. The average real estate taxes down their is between 3,500 to around 5,000. I have friends that live in a 55 and over community just opposite one that is just young families just like yours. It also just about a 20 minute drive to see the Durham Bulls play ball. Also 15 minutes from Duke to watch basketball and Lacrosse. New companies are constantly moving in as industrial parks are plentiful.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If you move to Cary, you're about an hour away from Elon and two hours away from UNCW.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Cary is as HOT a spot as they come right now, awesome place to live - acronym I've read is "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" !! LOL and I love it - I'm looking for that, to replicate some of NY in better weather and MUCH better COL.

It's bananas Stu, and hard to ignore nowadays. With my field very much remote, as it is for many today, and travel involved no matter where I go, I have to consider the enticing options. Looking into it hard... Mrs and I are targeting a visit this spring to scout.

Friends are doing the same next week to Nashville, another area that is a boomtown with some very enticing elements. Probably not for us for a few reasons, but I can definitely see the allure - it's a fantastic city.

Anyone else?? Would love your thoughts, opinions, and/or your direct experiences!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hey Polito there is another acronym for CARY. Cant Afford Raleigh Yet!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Haha, well if only that were true! It's the most desirable neighborhood in the Raleigh metro right now, better bring your wallet if you want in. But it's not as bad as it sounds thanks to the very low taxes, so northeastern folks can handle higher base home prices than they would up here.

Right now, the inventory is already becoming low, going to be tough to find things in Cary, Apex, Morrisville, etc... north Raleigh perhaps, Durham, further out like Wake Forest or Knightdale, who knows - it's an unprecedented migration, may not even be possible this year because they can't keep up with the demand.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I hope you decide to stay. While I can understand the appeal of moving south, am sure you miss aspects of living here, especially food and Hofstra sports!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The beaches lets not forget the ocean
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:The beaches lets not forget the ocean

Great point Stu as it doesn't get much better than Long Island in the summer. Also while taxes are higher than we'd like, Long Island has incredible public schools and other services, (police, fire, sanitation, etc) so it isn't as if the money goes to waste.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks HP1, appreciate your input! You make some great points, and I'll tell ya, I'm torn. Not sure if you've ever been, but it is VERY appealing. I just went down again for business, and I can't deny I really like it lol.

It's a beautiful area, the homes are fantastic, the economic development is unreal for the size (multiple multi-BILLION dollar initiatives), the airport is amazing with tons of direct flights including solid international destinations, the school system is actually one of the best in the country (even just a tad higher than here in Commack, which is excellent), and the healthcare is some of the best in the world. The cost of living is amazing, traffic a joke, super temperate weather, tons of green space / lakes / outdoor living, it goes on and on.

The biggest hold backs for us are two things: 1) Our family - we wouldn't go alone because we wouldn't want to separate our girls like that - we would need some family to join with us. 2) My wife's makeup business - this we think we can navigate around in a few different ways, but it's just a factor we are considering. My biz / work is transferrable anywhere thankfully, which makes the lifestyle even more appealing considering how well you can live.

The proximity to the beach is something for me for sure, not so much for the Mrs. I would not love being that far from it, but have to admit, the beaches in the Carolinas are much nicer than LI. NY beaches are largely pretty gross unfortunately, and so we rarely even go in them, thus negating the benefit a bit. And only 2 hours to the likes of Wilmington, Myrtle, Charleston, and others is pretty nice, and those beach areas are actually fantastic. About the same distance to the beautiful mountains to the west, so some basic snow / ski / tubing activity is within reasonable distance (we don't go that often here, but a nice to have).

This only even became a thing for us this year due to the blazing hot real estate, otherwise we actually wouldn't even be thinking about it - we started looking at the sell price available, and you just can't deny the unique opportunity to make a sizable profit and go live like a king/queen elsewhere.

All that said, we love NY, as NYers do!!! We could also be just as happy here, and we are happy here - just looking down the road, not sure this is the best place to be forever - I have no interest in working my rear off for the rest of my life just to say I live here. At some point, before I'm too old to walk, I'd like to be able to enjoy the fruits of our labor to a much higher extent than we do now. So it may be something even for later down the life road, ya know.

Mrs and I are going to down to do a more real scouting trip in a couple of weeks - we'll check out Raleigh and Charlotte (another place that carries very similar fantastic appeal). We need to see if we really feel the vibe, or if it's just cool cuz it's different. We'll know it together pretty quickly, we're thankfully on the same page like that, and we'll get the feel good or bad fast - will keep you posted for sure!

And you are def not wrong my friend, I would absolutely miss HU!!! Again, not sold on it, but the benefits are so strong that we feel compelled to at least explore and consider it. And as my wife said last night, who are we kidding, we're not going anywhere :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL - but we shall see!!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Thanks HP1, appreciate your input! You make some great points, and I'll tell ya, I'm torn. Not sure if you've ever been, but it is VERY appealing. I just went down again for business, and I can't deny I really like it lol.

It's a beautiful area, the homes are fantastic, the economic development is unreal for the size (multiple multi-BILLION dollar initiatives), the airport is amazing with tons of direct flights including solid international destinations, the school system is actually one of the best in the country (even just a tad higher than here in Commack, which is excellent), and the healthcare is some of the best in the world. The cost of living is amazing, traffic a joke, super temperate weather, tons of green space / lakes / outdoor living, it goes on and on.

The biggest hold backs for us are two things: 1) Our family - we wouldn't go alone because we wouldn't want to separate our girls like that - we would need some family to join with us. 2) My wife's makeup business - this we think we can navigate around in a few different ways, but it's just a factor we are considering. My biz / work is transferrable anywhere thankfully, which makes the lifestyle even more appealing considering how well you can live.

The proximity to the beach is something for me for sure, not so much for the Mrs. I would not love being that far from it, but have to admit, the beaches in the Carolinas are much nicer than LI. NY beaches are largely pretty gross unfortunately, and so we rarely even go in them, thus negating the benefit a bit. And only 2 hours to the likes of Wilmington, Myrtle, Charleston, and others is pretty nice, and those beach areas are actually fantastic. About the same distance to the beautiful mountains to the west, so some basic snow / ski / tubing activity is within reasonable distance (we don't go that often here, but a nice to have).

This only even became a thing for us this year due to the blazing hot real estate, otherwise we actually wouldn't even be thinking about it - we started looking at the sell price available, and you just can't deny the unique opportunity to make a sizable profit and go live like a king/queen elsewhere.

All that said, we love NY, as NYers do!!! We could also be just as happy here, and we are happy here - just looking down the road, not sure this is the best place to be forever - I have no interest in working my rear off for the rest of my life just to say I live here. At some point, before I'm too old to walk, I'd like to be able to enjoy the fruits of our labor to a much higher extent than we do now. So it may be something even for later down the life road, ya know.

Mrs and I are going to down to do a more real scouting trip in a couple of weeks - we'll check out Raleigh and Charlotte (another place that carries very similar fantastic appeal). We need to see if we really feel the vibe, or if it's just cool cuz it's different. We'll know it together pretty quickly, we're thankfully on the same page like that, and we'll get the feel good or bad fast - will keep you posted for sure!

And you are def not wrong my friend, I would absolutely miss HU!!! Again, not sold on it, but the benefits are so strong that we feel compelled to at least explore and consider it. And as my wife said last night, who are we kidding, we're not going anywhere :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL - but we shall see!!
Something tells me your wife will have the bigger say in this decision:) All kidding aside, if you do move I hope you can still return often for Hofstra games. I think when you do break down all the pros and cons though you may decide that staying put makes more sense.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hehe you are definitely not wrong on that one HP1! Mrs runs the show, no question about it! :D

Absolutely would return back for games, and would plan on checking them out on the road at Elon, UNCW, and even CofC. But this is nothing more than an exploration at the moment, even if it was a yes, we wouldn't make any changes until next year likely at the earliest. We are no rash decision-makers, planners all the way, for better or worse lol

And like you said, who knows, may end up staying put - but having fun in the learning process at least!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

There's plenty of morons here, but it gets way worse the further south you go.
Friends are here, don't want to uproot kids who are older, etc.
But its the moron factor that's the biggest reason we stay despite everything being absurdly expensive
(Plus we'd probably end up in another absurdly expensive place anyway, like Rehoboth Beach)
Polito

Post by Polito »

haha you have a point cactus - although I don't think it's bad in the areas I'm referencing, heck the biggest growing portion of people are northeasterners lol, but I certainly can't argue the general point :lol:

I'll def keep ya posted when we take a visit in the coming weeks (or months if we can't make it work near term)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I'll explain why my parents and I moved. For starters, I will never live independently or get married, and I'm not saying why. I spend 36 years in the same house, and I was never away from home for more than about two weeks. My younger sister Ashley got married in October 2013. Her husband Brian was adopted. Years later, they found his birth family, with a mom and four whole or half-siblings, but he'll never meet his biological dad. He has family in and around Omaha. In August 2017, Ashley and Brian moved to Omaha. Brian was a waiter and then manager at Outback, which let him work in Omaha. Ashley got a job easily. They make a lot of money by Omaha standards, but still can't afford a house. They have a nice apartment, and they were living in a tiny space in the basement of a house on Staten Island before that. Brian's family and the cheaper cost of living made them move. Ashley and Brian are happy with the area, but Ashley rarely gets to see her friends, and she hasn't made friends in Omaha. My parents and I hoped that at some point they would move back east. On September 11, 2019, Ashley gave birth to Madison. My dad had to wait until age 73 to become a grandpa. Late last year, we decided to move to Omaha. Originally we planned to let people think of our house while we are Omaha for Mom's and Ashley's birthdays. A wedding was postponed from August 2021 to June 2022, which took away a reason to spend the summer in New York. We looked for houses on Zillow, and we found a great house with a seller who wanted to sell quickly. We finished agreements to buy a house and sell a house on the same day. We sold a house of 2,000 to 2,100 square feet for $650,000 and bought a house of 3,900 to 4,000 square feet for $477,500. I don't remember the exact sizes. On Tuesday April 27, we began a long car trip. We arrived on Friday, and Mom's birthday was Saturday (yesterday). We are in a hotel until a moving truck brings our things.

In terms of sports, I don't want to see Creighton (which is in Omaha and is in the Big East with St. John's) or Nebraska (45 minutes away in Lincoln). I would like to see Omaha (state school also known as Nebraska-Omaha) that plays in the Summit League, so it would be mid-major games like I'm used to. Omaha does not play Football, but I would consider seeing them play Men's Hockey. The Summit League has Oral Roberts, who won two NCAA Tournament games, so maybe I will see some of those players at Omaha in the winter. The other place we can go for sports is Kansas City, and we saw the Royals in 2018 and 2019. In 2019 the Yankees came back and lost walkoff in the tenth. I am hoping that the US Men's National Soccer Team (USMNT) plays World Cup Qualifiers in Kansas City this year or next year because they have played in Kansas City before. I've seen the USMNT once, but not in a World Cup Qualifier. Kansas City is the only big city within five hours of Omaha.

I may never see Hofstra play again. It would be good for me if they went to Nebraska, Kansas State, or Wichita State.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

cactus wrote:There's plenty of morons here, but it gets way worse the further south you go.
Friends are here, don't want to uproot kids who are older, etc.
But its the moron factor that's the biggest reason we stay despite everything being absurdly expensive
(Plus we'd probably end up in another absurdly expensive place anyway, like Rehoboth Beach)
True that. Not to get political, but let's just say there's a different mind set down there. Also you can't get a good slice!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Or a good Bagel Must be the water
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan good luck at your new location also best wishes to you and your parents as you begin a new chapter in your life
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thank you. Omaha is electing a mayor in a week. Some places have city and local elections at different times of year. In New York the only regular elections are on Election Day.

My vote for president in 2024 matters more because I'm in one of five districts that has its own electoral vote (Maine and Nebraska are not winner take all), and Maine 2 and Nebraska 2 are the only districts with their own electoral vote that aren't safe. I will go six years between Senate elections because New York didn't have one last year, and Nebraska won't have one in 2022. Governor Pete Ricketts is term-limited, so Nebraska will elect a different governor in 2022, but I don't have any hope of a Democrat winning statewide, so the Republican primary is what matters. I want moderate Republican Don Bacon to leave the House and be elected governor and for a Democrat to gain the House seat.

Before yesterday, the Kansas City Royals had the best winning percentage in MLB with a negative run differential. Now the best team in San Francisco, who went 29-31 last year.