Hofstra Wrestling 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Hofstra Wrestling 2021

Post by stuball888 »

So in this Covid shortened season Hofstra competed in the EIWA tournament Usually there are 19 teams in this conference but only 10 field teams this year Hofstra came in 4th behind Lehigh Navy and West Point A nice showing for a team that is still young. Congrats to the wrestlers and coaching staff a a successful season
fiftiespride

Re: Hofstra Wrestling 2021

Post by fiftiespride »

Like yourself Stuball I follow all of our teams quite closely and appreciate your frequent acknowledgements of their achievements. Since it is primarily a bball board I'll try not to go too deep into the weeds. The 5 set, 110pts to 109 at Seton Hall was indeed a dandy. We are getting bigger. I was noting to one of the coaches a couple of years back that we were losing a lot of what height we had and he said, good timing, we just signed a 66er. While her physicality and resume as a 1st team JC AA are more impressive than the 65' Czech, we seem to be getting more from the latter and we were outblocked I believe 9-3 by SH but it looks like a promising year for Emily's team. Simon has built our premier program and appears to have his premier team if we get the goal tending. It is far too small a sample to be too concerned but thus far our goals saved to allowed is worrisome. Both teams are capable of getting to the tournament and soccer could hang around for a bit with a fair draw. Emily is probably tired of being sent out to Nebraska and while it was nice to host a playoff soccer match. The MVC winner Loyola was a very strong team for not being ceded and then it was mission impossible being sent to Stanford.
The wrestlers are making progress and congrats to Holden Heller a true frosh winning at 157; the 3rd of the Heller brothers. 7 automatic Qualifiers for Nationals is great and a throwback to Tom Ryan days but quite misleading I'm afraid. The conference was eviscerated without the 6 ivies and F+M. While accounting for 41% of the teams they likely would have accounted for a good half of the slots. Cornell and Princeton are 2 of the 3 power teams in the conference. Lehigh being the 3rd but down this year, normally a top 10 program but not ranked in the top 25 in the coaches poll. In fact while they won the conference tourney Hofstra was actually ahead of them in the others receiving votes with 6 good for 30th vs. 3 tied for 31st. We have a better dual than tournament team. We might have cracked the top 25 were we able to wrestle last years schedule but we don't have any AA's. The automatic allocations to the conference at 44 out of 283 is far in excess of what is deserved. The remainder are filled as wild cards. Our allocations suggest we might produce 15-16% of the 80 AA's(8 for each of the 10 weight classes) or 12-13 AA's. The conference will be fortunate to produce half that in my opinion.
Jojogunne

Re: Hofstra Wrestling 2022

Post by Jojogunne »

Updating this thread to 2022.

Covid has shut down the wrestling team until its Jan. 30 meet vs. Kent State and Clarion.

Hope everyone who is affected gets well.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/1/21/wr ... ities.aspx