Game #15 vs Towson

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Game #15 vs Towson

Post by stuball888 »

Coburn finally got to the line at the end but yes he needs to be more aggressive going to the basket. he is a good foul shooter he should not worry how he gets his points. Cramer with two clutch free throws at the end.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We made all 8 free throws. It was our fewest attempts since we made 2 of 3 in a 61-43 win over Drexel in the CAA Quarterfinals on March 8, 2020. That was 17 games ago. It was the first time we made all of our free throws since we made 7 in a 69-67 loss at Charleston on January 18, 2020. That was 29 games ago. It was the first time we made at least 8 free throws without a miss since a 67-64 loss at Towson on March 2, 2013, which was the game before the CAA Tournament. That was 249 games ago. It was the first time we made all of our free throws in a win since a 79-60 win hosting Delaware on February 26, 2011, which was the game before the CAA Tournament. That was 315 games ago. In between then and today, we were 0-3 when making all of our free throws. I'll post more later.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ray scored 16 but is still struggling with his shooting. he was 6-21. He did have 7 assts and Burgess with 6 assts. Overall 20 assts on 26 buckets. Good ball movement.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It was the seventh time from 2010-2011 to now that we made all of our free throws, and all seven games were won by the home team. We made 12 threes. It was the first time this season that we made at least 12, which we did six times last season including the CAA Semifinal win over Delaware.

The score of 74-69 was close to the line and over/under that predicted 73-67.5.

Here are the points per game:

Ray: 18.1 to exactly 18
Coburn: 14.8 to 15.5
Kante: 12.6 to 12.5
Cramer: 7.9 to 8.1 (he passed Burgess)
Burgess: 8.2 to exactly 7.8
Silverio: 4.7
Trueheart: exactly 4 to exactly 3.5
Green: 2.8
Masic: 1.8 to 2.2
Schutte: 1.8 to 1.7
Cowart: 1.3
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Ray scored 16 but is still struggling with his shooting. he was 6-21. He did have 7 assts and Burgess with 6 assts. Overall 20 assts on 26 buckets. Good ball movement.
5/9 in the first half, 1/12 in the second half. That's him. And often, that can be Coburn. Both very streaky, yet still the two highest scorers on the team. They have to find ways to take the pressure off of them so they can be more consistent. Coburn getting to the line and as a team, going inside-out more, starting with Kante, would help with that, I think.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Ray scored 16 but is still struggling with his shooting. he was 6-21. He did have 7 assts and Burgess with 6 assts. Overall 20 assts on 26 buckets. Good ball movement.
5/9 in the first half, 1/12 in the second half. That's him. And often, that can be Coburn. Both very streaky, yet still the two highest scorers on the team. They have to find ways to take the pressure off of them so they can be more consistent. Coburn getting to the line and going inside-out more, starting with Kante, would help with that, I think.
I didn't see the first half obviously they rode Coburn to a decent lead but I couldn't help but feel Mike should have had better O set plays in the second half especially down the stretch when we had a long drought in scoring and were turning the ball over. IDK why Caleb wasn't on the floor when we kept turning the ball over not a lot of minutes and no foul trouble. Clearly during this time when we let Towson BACK IN THE Game we needed a good ball handler. Why was Burgess sitting? Also during crunch time please tell me we had better O plays then Ray going one on one and missing very tough shots and no O rebounds. This was sad one and done every time down. Probably lucky to get a win here. Cramer seems to be playing with a lot more confidence even from the Foul line!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
5/9 in the first half, 1/12 in the second half. That's him. And often, that can be Coburn. Both very streaky, yet still the two highest scorers on the team. They have to find ways to take the pressure off of them so they can be more consistent. Coburn getting to the line and going inside-out more, starting with Kante, would help with that, I think.
I didn't see the first half obviously they rode Coburn to a decent lead but I couldn't help but feel Mike should have had better O set plays in the second half especially down the stretch when we had a long drought in scoring and were turning the ball over. IDK why Caleb wasn't on the floor when we kept turning the ball over not a lot of minutes and no foul trouble. Clearly during this time when we let Towson BACK IN THE Game we needed a good ball handler. Why was Burgess sitting? Also during crunch time please tell me we had better O plays then Ray going one on one and missing very tough shots and no O rebounds. This was sad one and done every time down. Probably lucky to get a win here. Cramer seems to be playing with a lot more confidence even from the Foul line!
Burgess only sat the first 5:59 of the second half and played the final 14:01. The lead had only gone from 14 (55-41) to eight (57-49) by that point after Towson started to apply some pressure and rattle Hofstra. The lead then went down to one point from there, even with Burgess finishing the game. And Burgess also had a team-high four turnovers today. So, I can't fault Coach too much for that. I don't think he waited that long to put Burgess back in, especially when he wasn't avoiding the TOs himself today.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thanks for the info. Wags it seemed to me in a short span of time they whittled the lead down with Burgess on the bench. I’ll re watch the game tomorrow.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Thanks for the info. Wags it seemed to me in a short span of time they whittled the lead down with Burgess on the bench. I’ll re watch the game tomorrow.
They did, from 14 (at 16:44) down to 8 (at 14:13) but then Burgess came in for the final 14:01 and Towson still got it down to 1 a couple times late with Burgess in there.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Burgess was pulled after winging a pass down low to Schuette who couldn't handle it.
He may have shown up Schuette on the play. He appeared to lose his cool and immediately he sat.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Take it and run, kinda the deal with this group this year - just not a dominant team, nor a champ team, yet

They are impossible to figure out - TC nonexistent and then unloads 7 3's lol I mean it's head scratching - total crapshoot with who's going to play well, when, and for how long! But when Ray and Coburn are playing relatively well together, this team is obviously in a much better position

8 FT's seems a bit ridiculous - guessing the size of Towson gave them all pause about attacking the hoop a lot - I'm def a proponent of getting to the line a heckuva lot more than that, although it can be situational as well, and in this game it clearly made sense to ride the 3's

But I really prefer this staff runs plays to get TC not just open 3 looks, but opps to attack the basket - that's where he is so so dangerous - I feel like the staff is so focused on his shooting game, they seem to be de-emphasizing his ability to do damage in the lane, and his game is following suit - when he doesn't make 3's he becomes a complete non-factor - that's not ok - granted he's one of the few on the team that can or should even be trusted to shoot regularly, still, I'd like to see him aggressive to the basket - he seems really lost out there like he doesn't know his place when his shots don't fall - TC, your place is to ATTACK - would like to see the staff approach the same

How about Cramer, kudos on another nice game, those 2 FT's at the end as a frosh were HUGE! Hit another pretty 3, and unleashed on that sky flying dunk - having a strong year 1, but this kid doesn't even yet realize just how much he can destroy this league - he's still kinda getting himself steadied - if he can develop a true consistent shot, to go with his inside game, defense, and rebounding, good Lord watch out - he is going to be nasty, esp at this level

As far as the droughts and runs, this team misses more layups than I can believe - if I had a dollar for every time the announcers said "And so and so misses layup" I'd be able to buy a new pair of nice shoes - it's ridiculous - they are at least focusing on the high % opps now to help quell those big scoring gaps, but they're constantly missing them! Probably a lot more contested today with Towson's size though, I'm guessing - still, you gotta make layups guys. That stuff would drive me to drink as a coach... pretty close as a fan! :lol:

Towson is far from the best in the league, but HU showed some grit holding off their runs to gain a series sweep. Gonna start getting a lot more serious and meaningful going forward...build this into key positive momentum.

Nice to hear you back on the mic Wags with some questions 8-)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:Thanks for the info. Wags it seemed to me in a short span of time they whittled the lead down with Burgess on the bench. I’ll re watch the game tomorrow.
We in fact, increased our lead to 14 early in the second half with Burgess sitting.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
We in fact, increased our lead to 14 early in the second half with Burgess sitting.
Yes, from 8 at halftime. Although, that was before Towson started pressing. Once they did, and HU got a little rattled by it, the lead went back to 8 again.
However, it also went from 8 down to 1 after he came back in. So, it's sort of a mixed bag as to what they did with or without him in the second half yesterday.