Cards: The Quality of the CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Cards: The Quality of the CAA

Post by Polito »

Hey Cards, hope you don't mind, figured I'd pull this topic out of the UD thread, it's an intriguing one to me 8-)

There is no question the CAA quality has gone down. It's still a good mid major league, but it's nowhere near what it used to be. I'm not that enamored by the G-League stuff. I'm still more impressed with Euro, make a lot more money, and these g-leaguers will rarely see the NBA floor in any meaningful manner. I think it's a lot of fluff, at least for right now.

As Stu said, part of the problem is that each team typically has 1 stud, and it's just not enough to make consistent national noise by beating the big boys. And the CAA hasn't made real NCAAT noise in a long time. The old CAA had the VA 3 and at times UNCW taking big dogs to task on a routine basis. A shell of itself today.

The CAA also largely can't retain its talent, losing LOADS of it's best every single year to transfers. That doesn't help, and programs can't establish themselves as they are constantly rebuilding. (with the exception of HU so far thankfully)

I think the other HUGE problem with this league is that it constantly cannibalizes itself. Every single year this conf beats itself to death, has made itself annoyingly difficult to win without the national recognition to make it worth it, and although parity is sometimes fun to watch, it's terrible for national league image and success in the long run.

No secret I can't stand this conf for HU anymore, but I also know there's nowhere else to really go, so HU is stuck for the moment.
4EverDutch

Re: Cards: The Quality of the CAA

Post by 4EverDutch »

After the Richmond win I thought perhaps HU belonged in the A-10, with perhaps Fordham swapping out to CAA. That thought has since evaporated. MAAC would be downgrade but still a one bid conference and at least might draw some fans from other local teams so home games have a buzz. No fun sitting in a 75% empty arena. My complaint with CAA is there is just no buzz for any of the competitors, metro area couldn't care less about NCW, Elon, or Charleston. Caveat, I acknowledge I follow hoops only and there are other sports to consider, but as a non-football school (sadly) MAAC might make sense.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

As we've said here forever the MAAC is not an option for us. They have no full times coaches in other sports, don't support many of our programs and they are primarily comprised of small Catholic schools with very different philosophies.

It would be a big comedown for our program...So we lost one or two games...that means no A10???? That's crazy...our program, facilities and ambitions lie with the Big Ten. Fordham should go to the Patriot Leaufe (where they play football and had some success with basketball) and we would slide in there nicely.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:As we've said here forever the MAAC is not an option for us. They have no full times coaches in other sports, don't support many of our programs and they are primarily comprised of small Catholic schools with very different philosophies.

It would be a big comedown for our program...So we lost one or two games...that means no A10???? That's crazy...our program, facilities and ambitions lie with the Big Ten. Fordham should go to the Patriot Leaufe (where they play football and had some success with basketball) and we would slide in there nicely.
Be careful what you wish for. HU men's hoops wouldn't automatically do any better than the very rough time Fordham men's hoops has had since joining the A-10. The plus sides are that being in the A-10 might allow HU to recruit at a higher level and the league offers the chance at at-large bids, which the CAA no longer offers. But even that would likely take a long time and a lot of work. This board doesn't even have the patience when HU men's hoops doesn't compete in the CAA for one year, so I don't think waiting several years to do the same in the A-10 is something there'd be patience for around here.

For all its flaws, the CAA is at least for now, the level at which HU men's hoops belongs - it's not a league HU has dominated yet (to where HU would be ready for a jump up to the A-10 or another a better league), yet it's a conference in which HU is capable of winning (like last year and in other recent years with regular-season titles) and legitimately contending in on an annual basis.
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

Thanks for enlightening me, much appreciated.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HU would get rocked in the A10, no doubt, for a long time lol - BUT no denying that it would be AWESOME to watch HU play big games against teams that people know nationally, often times ranked, and have a shot at multiple bids. Some bad ass road games too. But no, HU is def not ready for that.

MAAC is not a good fit either, as noted - unfortunately as I mentioned HU is stuck for the moment. The CAA is the only real spot for HU right now.

However, I am not thrilled just to be competitive, nor do I think the CAA is a good fit just because HU 'almost' has a chance to maybe win every year - I can't stand this conf - who the hell wants to be humbled by no-names and go dancing once every 20+ years? It sucks. This conf is so ridiculously hard to win as a mid major, and there is ZERO reward for killing yourself to do so year in and out. Give me Vermont or Iona longevity and NCAAT appearances any day of the week.

And nope, I don't care one bit about their seeding, because the CAA's sucks too, and nope don't care how many times they draw a tough team and lose, because HU will do the same in the CAA if and when they ever make it again. As much as we want to believe HU could've knocked off a Nova last year, and yes they could have in a VERY long shot, exactly like the Vermonts and Ionas, the odds are they were 1 and done. And that's FINE! I just want them to MAKE it more than once or twice in a friggin fan lifetime.

The problem for HU is that even though some people think HU is committed to hoops, it is nowhere near the level of commitment required to actually develop a legacy of championships, even at the CAA level. Forget it in the A10, HU would be bottom of the barrel in terms of commitment. HU would very likely go the way of Mason rather than VCU. If you want to level up, you better be willing to go ALL OUT and ALL IN for that sport.

We're stuck in this annoying conf with likely one of the worst conference administrations in D1. Bunch of turkeys running their own clown show. I saw LIBERTY on ESPNU yesterday... W O M E N. Forget the lady dutch, when was the last time HU men were on ESPN for a reg season game? Meanwhile we have some whack paid service called flosports instead. :roll: let me get off this soapbox lol. Carry on!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes take a look at Libertys sports program. We used to play them regulsrly in football and beat them. Now they are a near top 25 team. Their mens and womens teams in basketball are having great years. We need a full all in committment to reach the levels that Liberty is at now. Ivy league women have a regional TV contract. No reason we cannot contact FSNY and make a deal with them for our sports program. Hell how many times are FS1 and FS2 showing the exact same game at the same time. Not saying all our sports should be on FS@ regionally but at least get basketball and Lacrosse on. When Shuart was president we payed what is now FSNY 50 grand for each football game they televised. It would be money well invested.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

FSNY has been MSG Plus for years. With Fios, there are four consecutive channel numbers that are MSG, MSG2, MSG Plus, and MSG Plus2. MSG2 and MSG Plus2 are only used when at least three of the Knicks, Rangers, Islands, and Devils are playing simultaneously; or if two are playing simultaneously with the Red Bulls (Major League Soccer) or a special event. It used to be that MSG2 simulcast MSG and MSG Plus2 simulcasted MSG Plus except for when they had different games. Now MSG2 and MSG Plus2 have a message that they are only used when they are needed for games. Different TV providers could be different for the overflow games. I can't guarantee that the names MSG2 and MSG Plus2 are used by every provider with them.

FS1 and FS2 are national channels, and they do not show the same thing at the same time. We were om FS1 against Villanova.

Our March 19, 2019 NIT loss at North Carolina State was on ESPN2. In terms of regular season games, on December 11, 2016 our game against Louisville at Barclays Center was on ESPN. The preview of that game said it was our fifth time on ESPN after the March 11, 2000 America East Final; March 10, 2001 America East Final; March 6, 2006 CAA Final; and February 10, 2007 win at George Mason who we beat at home and in the CAA Tournament the previous season when we didn't go there. The previous season was 2005-2006 when we got snubbed and George Mason went to the Final Four.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:FSNY has been MSG Plus for years. With Fios, there are four consecutive channel numbers that are MSG, MSG2, MSG Plus, and MSG Plus2. MSG2 and MSG Plus2 are only used when at least three of the Knicks, Rangers, Islands, and Devils are playing simultaneously; or if two are playing simultaneously with the Red Bulls (Major League Soccer) or a special event. It used to be that MSG2 simulcast MSG and MSG Plus2 simulcasted MSG Plus except for when they had different games. Now MSG2 and MSG Plus2 have a message that they are only used when they are needed for games. Different TV providers could be different for the overflow games. I can't guarantee that the names MSG2 and MSG Plus2 are used by every provider with them.

FS1 and FS2 are national channels, and they do not show the same thing at the same time. We were om FS1 against Villanova.

Our March 19, 2019 NIT loss at North Carolina State was on ESPN2. In terms of regular season games, on December 11, 2016 our game against Louisville at Barclays Center was on ESPN. The preview of that game said it was our fifth time on ESPN after the March 11, 2000 America East Final; March 10, 2001 America East Final; March 6, 2006 CAA Final; and February 10, 2007 win at George Mason who we beat at home and in the CAA Tournament the previous season when we didn't go there. The previous season was 2005-2006 when we got snubbed and George Mason went to the Final Four.
They also had 2006 NIT quarterfinal game against Old Dominion on ESPN2.