2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by ProudofPride »

The CAA announced today that the tournament will be at JMU’s new arena.
What a joke.
Hofstra

Re: 2021 CAA Men’s Basketball Tournament

Post by Hofstra »

That cuts deep. Damn. Wish they waited to make the announcement. Was holding out hope maybe fans would be allowed.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Lol awesome :lol: the VA bias somehow continues, AND no fans - that's a win<>win alright :roll:

I want our guys to blow the doors off this conf so bad it hurts.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Did they announce no fans as well?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Odd that CAASports lists UNCW only as the "Away" team in Harrisonburg for all rounds of the CAA tourney and includes an extra date with the same on 3/10. Are they expecting a surprising run to the title game from the Seahawks and then UNCW playing an exhibition game the day after the championship game? :D

They also list Charleston and Delaware as road teams for the opening round, playing in D.C. Looks like they have some updating to do.

https://caasports.com/calendar.aspx?path=mbball
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Did they announce no fans as well?
I doubt it'll be many, if any at all - JMU currently allows very few and I doubt much changes with the pandemic in VA between now and the tournament (especially if people get together in VA for Super Bowl parties this weekend).

Here's what was said when the tourney moving to JMU was announced three weeks ago today:

How many, if any, fans will be allowed inside the building for the CAA Tournament is a question that has yet to be answered. JMU, in accordance with current Virginia regulations, allows up to 200 fans at home games.

“Those are final decisions we are going to have to make as we get closer to the tournament and understand what is going to be allowed based on public health officials in Harrisonburg and within the state of Virginia,” (CAA comissioner) D’Antonio said. “We have planned all along, in all our discussions we’ve been having about where the tournament could be held, that we were going to be in a controlled environment with specific parameters and cleaning priorities and safety priorities in place. We know we are able to work with the folks at JMU to carry out those policies and implement those plans.”
Wags

Post by Wags »

Bumping this thread back up since we're getting close.

Only four CAA regular-season games left:

2/22: W&M @ Elon
2/25: CofC @ UNCW
2/26: Drexel @ JMU
2/27: UNCW @ CofC

Everything has been canceled.

The CAA is saying teams need at least eight regular-season games played to qualify for the CAA tournament, so UNCW (at 1-5, the only team with <8 games played) needs those last two games above (win or lose) to qualify.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I'd rather them cancel it tbh. We most likely wont win, heck we might not even win a game in the tourney. If cancelled, we can still claim we are the reigning champs as well.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There will be an NCAA tournament...why would the CAA not participate? This is where the money is made for the League and teams.

Would you prefer that the CAA awards our bid to the regular season champs?

I for one would rather see a tournament.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I would like to see a CAA tournament too but realistically the odds are now it probably has a 50% chance that all teams will participate
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If JMU beats Drexel, JMU will have sole possession of first. If JMU loses, they will be tied with Northeastern. They split head-to-head. JMU's other loss will have been to Drexel, and Northeastern's other loss will have been to Towson. Northeastern didn't play Drexel, so record against Drexel can't be the tiebreaker. JMU swept Towson, so if I'm correct then JMU has clinched the 1 seed. Here are the four scenarios:

-JMU beats Drexel, Charleston sweeps UNCW or splits with UNCW
1. JMU
2. Northeastern
3. Charleston
4. Hofstra
5. Delaware
6. William & Mary
7. Drexel
8. Elon
9. Towson
10. UNCW (a split with Charleston would give UNCW the same winning percentage as Towson, who swept UNCW)

-JMU beats Drexel, UNCW sweeps Charleston:
1. JMU
2. Northeastern
3. Hofstra
4. Delaware
5. Charleston
6. William & Mary
7. Drexel (did not play UNCW and wins tiebreaker with a better record against us)
8. UNCW
9. Elon
10. Towson

-Drexel beats JMU, Charleston sweeps UNCW or splits with UNCW:
1. JMU
2. Northeastern
3. Charleston
4. Hofstra
5. Delaware
6. Drexel
7. William & Mary
8. Elon
9. Towson
10. UNCW (a split with Charleston would give UNCW the same winning percentage as Towson, who swept UNCW)

-Drexel beats JMU, UNCW sweeps Charleston:
1. JMU
2. Northeastern
3. Hofstra
4. Delaware
5. Charleston
6. Drexel
7. William & Mary
8. Elon
9. Towson
10. UNCW

If Charleston beats UNCW on Thursday, we will know our seed and opponent then.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID80 wrote:There will be an NCAA tournament...why would the CAA not participate? This is where the money is made for the League and teams.

Would you prefer that the CAA awards our bid to the regular season champs?

I for one would rather see a tournament.
I know that there will be a tourney. I am just disheartened with the season so far. Even March Madness will be an off year. This is an asterisk season.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Bumping this thread back up since we're getting close.

Only four CAA regular-season games left:

2/22: W&M @ Elon
2/25: CofC @ UNCW
2/26: Drexel @ JMU
2/27: UNCW @ CofC

Everything has been canceled.

The CAA is saying teams need at least eight regular-season games played to qualify for the CAA tournament, so UNCW (at 1-5, the only team with <8 games played) needs those last two games above (win or lose) to qualify.
RICHMOND, Va. (February 23, 2021) – The Colonial Athletic Association has announced that Charleston’s upcoming men’s basketball games against UNCW on February 25 and 27 have been cancelled due to CoVID-19 protocols within the Charleston program.

UNCW will now host Elon for a 6 p.m. game on Saturday, February 27.

The status of the Charleston men’s basketball team for the 2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men’s Basketball Championship remains unchanged at this time.

UNCW would still need one more game on Sunday to qualify for the tourney if the league is mandating that eight-games-played minimum.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Noting that there will be an NIT this year. Apparently, it will be a 16 team field and all games will be played in New York City at MSG and without fans. (Although the announcement I read was issued before Cuomo relaxed some of the restrictions.) I would think that the CAA would get at least one invite between JMU, NE and HU.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I believe the regular-season winner receives an automatic NIT bid.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

That's true, but what happens if the regular season champ is also the tourney champ?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Then its up to the NIT selection committee. With only 16 teams in the NIT very small chance of any mid major getting into the NIT as an at large bid. the AQs will get in. The NIT will be looking at larger schools because of name recognition.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

I agree Stu but everything's skewed this year. Hofstra is good enough to win the tourney, but the recent cancellations and long layoff and JMU playing at home doesn't help.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mikey its the same as back in the day when VCU was good the the tournament was played in Richmond. This is something we have to live with.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mikey77 wrote:Noting that there will be an NIT this year. Apparently, it will be a 16 team field and all games will be played in New York City at MSG and without fans. (Although the announcement I read was issued before Cuomo relaxed some of the restrictions.) I would think that the CAA would get at least one invite between JMU, NE and HU.
Northeastern's 9-8, Hofstra's 12-9. There is no chance at all that either are in the NIT if they're not in the NCAAT, especially in a 16-team field.