Game 10 vs. Northeastern, Thursday, 1/7/21 @ 5 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Game 10 vs. Northeastern, Thursday, 1/7/21 @ 5 PM

Post by stuball888 »

Now was Farrelly outcoached by Coen Hell yes but Mike has only been a coach for 10 games Coen has outcoached many veteran coaches Lets give Mike a pass here As for criticism on Cramers D that is a coached prerogative MAybe Mike knows how to motivate him and this is his method I remember seeing coaches handling some players with kit gloves and another player with an in your face talk Pecora handled Stocks lightly but was in Uters face if he slacked off on D Tim Beckett was Jay Wrights favorite to get on if he he didnt give 100% Lets let Mike look grow into the role as a head coach Its still early in the conference schedule Luke Bill Edwards used to say they are get us early we will get them late
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID74 wrote:Couple of observations. Coen did do a better job of defending Kante in the second half, doubling down on him during the second half and we did not respond well getting to the open man...I think too many of our guys, especially Green have the "Green" light on threes...we need some better shot discipline.

Apparently Farrelly blames Cramer's poor defense on Walters going off...perhaps he singled him out after the frustrations of the evening which is understandable.

HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT THE SID DOES NOT REFER TO FARRELLY AS INTERUM ANY MORE?
Still "acting head coach" here:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Although Kante has improved his offense biggest difference between this year and last is only 2 legit 3 pt shooters vs 4 last year so easier to defense and if Ray and/or Coburn is off there is nowhere else to go.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Couple of observations. Coen did do a better job of defending Kante in the second half, doubling down on him during the second half and we did not respond well getting to the open man...I think too many of our guys, especially Green have the "Green" light on threes...we need some better shot discipline.

Apparently Farrelly blames Cramer's poor defense on Walters going off...perhaps he singled him out after the frustrations of the evening which is understandable.

HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT THE SID DOES NOT REFER TO FARRELLY AS INTERUM ANY MORE?
Still "acting head coach" here:

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Did you watch the press conference and the weekly coach's report?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Is that true HUSID that's not something I picked up on but good observation. I wonder just thinking out loud whether Joe has been involved in any of the game plans? What do you think??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Although Kante has improved his offense biggest difference between this year and last is only 2 legit 3 pt shooters vs 4 last year so easier to defense and if Ray and/or Coburn is off there is nowhere else to go.
This is a very good point and as good as these two kids are they are more catch and shoot kind of guys not guys that really create their own shots like JWF, Buie and Eli. A good man to man D creates problems for these guys. Burgess looks like he's starting to feel more comfortable out there and this could be huge. His game is really progressing and that's great for us. We need Green when he's in to score from anywhere and Cramer he needs to hit that open three which the D seems like they're giving him based on his ineptness from there.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Jojogunne wrote:Let's hear it for the Season Ticket Holder of the Game!
Thanks John! I missed most of the game because of work which I guess ended up being a good thing based on the result. Hopefully we bounce back tomorrow. A long scoring drought seems to have appeared again as it did earlier in the season. Once again, need our seniors to step up during these extended scoring runs by our opponents. Need the head coach to use timeouts more effectively during these runs to stem the tide as well..
Polito

Post by Polito »

Although Kante has improved his offense biggest difference between this year and last is only 2 legit 3 pt shooters vs 4 last year so easier to defense and if Ray and/or Coburn is off there is nowhere else to go.
^^^^ THIS

Agree 100%. That’s a great explanation of why I’ve been skeptical of the notion ‘don’t worry the shots will be there’ - love the looks they’re getting at least, just need to make more of them - and Wags you’re right, that speaks to the need for solid D

This team has weapons, but many of them are new/developing, and the majority are very inconsistent

They can still win this though, combo of their fight, heart, the talent and tools they do have, and the conf being ‘eh’ lol - just keep learning, keep growing, keep getting better
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:
They can still win this though, combo of their fight, heart, the talent and tools they do have, and the conf being ‘eh’ lol - just keep learning, keep growing, keep getting better
I think they can, too. And they'll have their wins when the shooting is good and the offense carries them. But they just can't expect to rely on that every game. And since no one knows when that might be, that's why the D and the other intangibles you mentioned have to show up every game.